I can't sleep and i feel i just need to. Relaxing is not and option. Is it alright to take 150mg of benadryl to help me sleep? I just want fall asleep fast. I'm panicking. And i need to do something. i've taken 100mg before but not this much. Any advice?

The official maximum single dose is 50 mg so we can't really tell you otherwise. If 100 mg isn't helping you, you should probably look into alternative solutions like doxylamine which should be the active ingredient in 'Unisom SleepTabs' according to Wikipedia (I've only taken generic). Shouldn't combine it with anything else though.

If you have really bad insomnia, see your MD or pdoc. There are meds available that are stronger that OTC meds. Stay at the recommended dosages of all medications. You run the risk of overdosing when you exceed the maximum amount allowed. Also, you can try a glass of warm milk, some turkey or 1-2 cups camomille tea before bedtime. Those are natural sleep inducers.

Sheepwoman

Be careful with Benadryl. It is an anticholinergic and can produce some unpleasant overdose symptoms like confusion, delirium, hearing voices; you won't end up in the hospital from 150 mg but if you don't fall asleep you're probably not going to like the way you feel.

Also I remember you've mentioned being on Klonopin so if a benzo doesn't help you an OTC antihistamine isn't going to do any better.

Be careful with Benadryl. It is an anticholinergic and can produce some unpleasant overdose symptoms like confusion, delirium, hearing voices; you won't end up in the hospital from 150 mg but if you don't fall asleep you're probably not going to like the way you feel.

Also I remember you've mentioned being on Klonopin so if a benzo doesn't help you an OTC antihistamine isn't going to do any better.

My doc said to take benadryl to sleep. Is that weird?

If you have really bad insomnia, see your MD or pdoc. There are meds available that are stronger that OTC meds. Stay at the recommended dosages of all medications. You run the risk of overdosing when you exceed the maximum amount allowed. Also, you can try a glass of warm milk, some turkey or 1-2 cups camomille tea before bedtime. Those are natural sleep inducers.

Sheepwoman

i did tell my doctor and she said take the otc, i am taking more but it's hard to go to sleep.

The official maximum single dose is 50 mg so we can't really tell you otherwise. If 100 mg isn't helping you, you should probably look into alternative solutions like doxylamine which should be the active ingredient in 'Unisom SleepTabs' according to Wikipedia (I've only taken generic). Shouldn't combine it with anything else though.

Thank you for your advice .

My doc said to take benadryl to sleep. Is that weird?

No, it's not weird, because for many people a normal dose of Benadryl is an effective sleep aid. And it's a harmless drug, for the most part. Like I said, even if you OD you'll probably just feel like crap, but the chances of severe problems resulting are very low.

But if you have serious sleep issues then Benadryl won't cut it.

For me, there's no difference if I had 50 mg of Benadryl to Seroquel or Xanax to sleep, the two pharms are 95% of the sleep aid effect.

Doxylamine succinate (the active ingredient in Nyquil, but you can find it OTC pill form) is better than Benadryl for sleep.

Actually, chlorcyclizine (also an anticholinergic like benedryl) works, IN SMALL DOSES NOT EXCEEDING 350MG, wonders for my mood, or so it seems.

Took it yesterday and today and I felt better suddenly, and more assertive (normally I would be going out of the way for all people for example, now I didn't and I felt more confident).

Depression seems to have a link with high acetylcholine levels and mania with low ones, so it can be possible that what I'm experiencing is not a placebo.

Anyway, I'll update if it was a placebo or not - since ironically depression seems to be a side-effect of anticholinergics abuse, although that could also be due to the frightening trips it can cause if taken in higher doses, I don't know.

I can't sleep and i feel i just need to. Relaxing is not and option. Is it alright to take 150mg of benadryl to help me sleep? I just want fall asleep fast. I'm panicking. And i need to do something. i've taken 100mg before but not this much. Any advice?

Hello,

Taking any sleeping medicine is not an option on that you need tackel with that sotuation, if you not so take advise of any expert or counceler...