Is This An Eating Disorder?

bh34465

Hi,

I try to eat sensibly. Most of the time I eat normally, especially during the daytime. But, at night, if I am going through things emotionally, I tend to eat because it comforts me. Is this just normal overeating? I don't eat junk food per se, but I do keep eating just for comfort.

The line between an unhealthy behavior and a disorder is based on what is known in abnormal psychology as "the four D's" which are danger, distress, deviance, and dysfunction.

Everyone has coping mechanisms. Some people might want a drink if they're stressed and that doesn't mean they alcoholics. Food is the same way. It basically depends on how often you binge, how severely, and how it has affected you. I used to binge-eat a little bit but I cured that by adapting an intermittent fasting lifestyle, though that isn't for everyone - it's just what worked for me.

If you are maintaining your weight overall then it's probably not a huge matter, but it can get worse and if I were you I would still try to recognize and cease comfort-eating when possible.

bh34465

I certainly would not classify your eating habits as an eating disorder in the Psychiatric DMS Manual . You have established some pattern habits of eating like most of do.

We all have a habit of eating in a way that keeps us happy. Some live to ear Others eat to live I suppose.

Best Wishes