Did Finally Going To A Psychiatrist Make A Difference?

fitness

I've been having some health issues. It seems to be tied to my food intake, as I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia. I'm not sure if my depression and anxiety stem from this or not. My primary care doctor has been prescribing me meds. I have taken lexapro, sertraline, cymbalta, and buspirone.

They all seem to help somewhat with anxiety. Buspirone works the best for anxiety. I was very productive on cymbalta, but I also was more depressed. I don't know if the increased productivity was from my diet or the meds.

I recently changed insurance, so I have a new primary care physician. Should I stick with the primary care doc to figure out my health issues? I have a huge reluctance to go to a psychiatrist.

It's really a matter of personal preference. My primary care doc eventually referred me to a psychiatrist after finally admitting that everything they had tried wasn't working. Fair warning, though. psychiatrists are very fond of prescribing cocktails (3,4, or sometimes more meds at once). That's been my experience at least. If you want to keep the number of meds you're on to the minimum, or are interested in supplementing minimal medication with some natural or homeopathic methods instead, you need to let the doc know that up front.

Edited by yourlocalwonderwoman

Like some of the others said, I think it all depends on how you feel on the meds. If buspirone is working for you, I'd stick with that and see the new primary care physician. If you have complications or are unsatisfied with your current medication, I'd look to switch then. Just like jimbow, seeing a psychiatrist was also a waste of time for me. I saw a therapist for a while which helped me more. But working through my issues on my own, analyzing my thoughts and things like that really helped me. Good luck!

My primary care doc was not comfortable prescribing antidepressants/anti-anxiety medications, and he referred me to a Psychiatrist.

the Psychiatrist was there only for medication management, and put me on medication that did not work, yet he was reluctant to change the

medication. I don't know if I would waste time going to another Psychiatrist again. I don't care much for how they practice medication prescribing.