Your Metaphor For Depression

camilo

I was trying to find a way to describe depression and this is the thing that describes how I feel: I am hanging off the edge of a skyscraper. My hands and arms will hold on and will not tire, but the fear, tension, helplessness, and anxiety are all there.

Edited by ramkuma

I've always thought of it as a dreary, gray, late November day.

Tree leaves have fallen. As have temperatures. Birds have migrated. Waking up every morning of your life with no sunshine, and it being (mentally) only November, a long cold desolate winter ahead.

Depression is like walking down a dark tunnel. others can see the light at the end of the tunnel which gives them motivation to carry on. While some can't see the light. when you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, you become hopeless and began to lose faith.

I think of it like being in a canoe on the ocean and trying to paddle against the tide. Maybe there's a goal ahead of land, or maybe not, but no matter what, to keep going forward, you have to fight the current. If you don't, you just drift aimlessly.

Am I the only one who hates summer? Depression is hell. Hell is hot. Basic maths. Summer is my hell and I'm at my most depressed. Probably cause everyone loves it and as always I'm the complete opposite.

Being blinded by the sun

Sweating

Feeling lethargic

Having to view a constant parade of flab and/or wrinkles hanging out of poor fitting and/or inappropriate clothes

Just some of the highlights.

The cold is easy to escape from there's nowhere to hide from the blazing sun. Darkness is so much better than light too I really don't understand other people.

It's like I'm in a black hole in the ground and I'm reaching up and can't reach the hands that are reaching down. I'm stuck down there with the dirt and tree roots. I try to claw my way up but that doesn't work either.

Michele

I like the black dog metaphor that's been used before. A big black dog that's always following you around.

Nick Drake has a song called, "Black Eyed Dog." Its about depression.

Edited by ramkuma

A bird that has lost the ability to fly. Knowing that sensation of spreading your wings and soaring through the air but never being able to reach that point ever again. So feeling totally helpless and not knowing what to do with yourself.

Am I the only one who hates summer? Depression is hell. Hell is hot. Basic maths. Summer is my hell and I'm at my most depressed. Probably cause everyone loves it and as always I'm the complete opposite.

Being blinded by the sun

Sweating

Feeling lethargic

Having to view a constant parade of flab and/or wrinkles hanging out of poor fitting and/or inappropriate clothes

Just some of the highlights.

The cold is easy to escape from there's nowhere to hide from the blazing sun. Darkness is so much better than light too I really don't understand other people.Some people very rarely feel hot and always feel cold. For example I wear sweaters when is 80 degrees out and have cold chills very often in the winter. I can be inside where is warm but still get cold chills. People like me love the summer.

Ratboy said it similar to how I would have wrote mine.

I feel like I'm in busy street. The sky is grey, the buildings are broken and falling apart. The flowers in the gardens are dead, the trees are bare. Everything is just shades of grey and there is no colour.

There is no substance, there is no life, there is nothing but endless shades of grey all over the place.

I don't really know how else to describe it. That is how I view my depression if I tried to come up with an image in my head. There is no life, there is no death, there aren't any insects, bugs, or noise. There is nothing, nothing exists and anything that does exist just doesn't matter, because the world is grey.

Also would describe my pessimism.