How Do I Quit 150 Xl When You Can't Cut The Pill?

Hi everyone,

I have been taking wellbutrin xl 150 (generic from Anchen) for 2 months now. It seemed to have worked for me in the first month but now I really do not feel any benefit from it. Plus, my 10 year old daughter came to me last night and asked me why I am always in a bad mood and angry so obviously it is not working. I also want to stop taking it because it makes me very constipated and I think it is making me retain weight. I started a MAJOR exercise program the same day I started the Wellbutrin (I am talking major cardio and weightlifting 6 days a week.) and I am only averaging a 0.2 pound weight loss a week. I should be dropping major weight so I think this medicine is the culprit.

Anyway, back to my original question. How the heck do I taper if I cannot cut an extended release tab? Can I just quit cold turkey since it is such a low dose? Thank you.

I think you can get 75 mg instant release tablets but in reality most people just stop it at 150. It doesn't normally have bad discontinuation effects like SSRIs/SNRIs do. It's unlikely that the Wellbutrin is stopping weight loss, it's not really known for that. Aside from any weight that's directly due to constipation, anyway. Bear in mind that if you're doing weightlifting then you'll be gaining some muscle (which weighs more than fat) so you'd be better off measuring body fat or waistline or something if you're doing both concurrently.

Also, if it worked for a while at 150 mg there's a good chance it'll work (and keep working) at a higher dose. Anger and such can settle down when people reach the right dose for them.

i think that if you read around the forum, you'll see that most of us think that 30 days isn't really enough to determine if the medication is working well or not. Also, if you are seen any benefit at all in the first 30 days, that can be considered encouraging and you might want to hang on - fluctuations in effectiveness seems to be incredibly common at the beginning (first 6 weeks or so).

That said, it's easy to get the 75 mg IR and reduce that way. You can also cut those in half if you need to - ask your doctor!

Wellbutrin is one of the most quit-friendly of all antidepressants but Velthir is probably right you can get 75 mg SR tablets. Even so, I'd say just quit if you want and you should be fine.

But I feel I should challenge your rationale. Symptoms like constipation make you retain weight in a literal sense, yes, but that isn't body fat. Constipation will resolve eventually, either your body will adjust or you can take an OTC med to counter it. But what is in your colon has nothing to do with weight loss. It's not about the number on the scale, it's about your composition of body fat vs. lean weight. If you have net negative calories from dietary choice and exercise, and are still constipated, you may not literally have "lost weight" but you can still be losing fat.

Also, it depends on what you were taking the med for in the first place. I am a little more prone to anger while on Wellbutrin but I am happier overall. And consider that you may have a "new normal" and that you might feel slightly less energetic while doing your major exercise program if you go off it.