Sign in to follow this  
White66

Why Can't I Write What I Want To?

I guess the title sums up this post really, and what I am feeling.

I am a writer at heart, it is all I have wanted to be and felt I could ever do with my life.

But recently, I have been finding that more and more difficult, especially in one particular area.

I might as well just blurt it out; erotica is what I like to write, and the one thing I want to write but cannot seem to. Anything else I turn my hand to, I can make work.

But I try to write any of the erotica stories I have in mind, I just can't seem to get anywhere. Anything I write just seems flat, and that is after a lot of work. All I write just feels like a pedestrian and boring set of descriptions and that seems to be all I can do.

To make it more frustrating, this was something I used to be able to do. So now I worry that my depression has killed my creativity and I might not be able to get it back. I guess what I wondering is has anyone else out there had a problem like this and been able to work through it.

Hoping to hear from you guys,

White.

Im a writer too, well amaturely, only self published but anyhoo. I go through phases of not being able to write because of my depression too and it is really frustrating. I did wonder if I would ever want to write again after abandoning many half written and half thought out books but keep calm. One day you will just wake up and want to write again. I know it sounds daft but thats literally how it happened for me. First thought in the morning was wanting to work. Hang on in there. It will come back to you.

Im a writer too, well amaturely, only self published but anyhoo. I go through phases of not being able to write because of my depression too and it is really frustrating. I did wonder if I would ever want to write again after abandoning many half written and half thought out books but keep calm. One day you will just wake up and want to write again. I know it sounds daft but thats literally how it happened for me. First thought in the morning was wanting to work. Hang on in there. It will come back to you.

Hey Ket.

Self published is a start. Don't put yourself down over that.

Well, this really is a first for me. I have never had writers block before, well not like this. Having days when I feel what I write is rubbish is one thing, but this is more like not being able to write anything. The ideas just seem to dry up in my head.

But what you say gives me hope. So, thank you.

Take it easy,

White.

Dear White66 and :welcomeani: to DF,

Yes depression can indeed reduce your motivation, creativity and abilities to write. If you are feeling low it may put you off writing specific material because your 'dampened down' feelings.

Normally effective medication at the most effective dose (therapeutic dose) would make you feel motivated, interested, passionate, energetic as your happy neurotransmitters get into your system again.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

Dear White66 and :welcomeani: to DF,

Yes depression can indeed reduce your motivation, creativity and abilities to write. If you are feeling low it may put you off writing specific material because your 'dampened down' feelings.

Normally effective medication at the most effective dose (therapeutic dose) would make you feel motivated, interested, passionate, energetic as your happy neurotransmitters get into your system again.

Best Wishes

Jim Bow

You see, thats what I'm starting to think has happened.

I've also been wondering if the dose has been pushed too high. My doctor suggested it might help, but I don't think it did as much as I'd hoped. We might have to drop it back down again.

Cheers, Jim.

That helps a bit, making me think it's not just me that's gone wrong.

I'm a writer too, although I've never been published, and I can sympathize with your feelings. Sometimes I feel like I've lost my gift. My creativity is gone, my motivation is gone, every sentence I try to yank out of me is like pulling teeth. It used to come so naturally. I try to tell myself that my brain is just not functioning properly and that when I'm inspired to seek help, I may recover my passion and skills, but...when is that going to happen? I mean...is this just how I am now?

I guess we're still creative...we're just malfunctioning. The wiring is all mixed up.

use this time of block to read some of the erotica canon you havent read before. have you read "Story of the Eye" by Georges Bataille and "Story of O" by Pauline Reage? there is a lot of sexuality in Ovid's "Metamorphoses", maybe you could look there for inspiration? all good writers are good readers. good luck

I guess the title sums up this post really, and what I am feeling.

I am a writer at heart, it is all I have wanted to be and felt I could ever do with my life.

But recently, I have been finding that more and more difficult, especially in one particular area.

I might as well just blurt it out; erotica is what I like to write, and the one thing I want to write but cannot seem to. Anything else I turn my hand to, I can make work.

But I try to write any of the erotica stories I have in mind, I just can't seem to get anywhere. Anything I write just seems flat, and that is after a lot of work. All I write just feels like a pedestrian and boring set of descriptions and that seems to be all I can do.

To make it more frustrating, this was something I used to be able to do. So now I worry that my depression has killed my creativity and I might not be able to get it back. I guess what I wondering is has anyone else out there had a problem like this and been able to work through it.

Hoping to hear from you guys,

White.

I am not sure if you know this or not but there are several on line groups that "teach" how to write erotica. Sorry I no longer have the links. I don't know how you start the stories that you are trying to write but I have found that starting with point form, then filling in a bit here and there helps. It many take several "adds" to each bit before you like it well enough to try to weave it into a sorry.