Sign in to follow this  
patthepoltergeist

Latuda For Sleep? And Not Bipolar?

So, my pdoc just switched me from Seroquel to Latuda. I was taking the Seroquel for sleep. I do not see much on Latuda for sleep? We were initially going with a bipolar diagnosis but I have totally stopped cycling after I started sleeping ok. I know Seroquel is a mood drug too, but I was only on 50mg at my max, and he said that it wasn't really effective for mood stabilizing at that low of a dose. So I am really starting to wonder now. What is he doing? Is he treating for bipolar or sleep?

He also placed my grandfather on Latuda this week. But not for bipolar. My grandfather has delusional jealousy. They are sending him for a scan to check for dementia / Alzheimer's. I read that Latuda is specifically NOT for people who may have dementia or kidney trouble. My granddad has both!!

So Latuda for my sleep, and Latuda for granddad's delusions.... It sounds a bit hokey to me.

I just want to go to sleep once in a while :(

I don't want to make an assumption. Some doctors get kickbacks from pharmaceuticals for pushing certain drugs. And the fact that Seroquel has generics and Latuda doesn't also might raise a suspicion. But at the same time, maybe your doctor genuinely believes it could help. I'm not sure where delusional jealousy falls on the whole spectrum of mental illness either; I'd think some sort of antipsychotic would be prescribed but it sounds like your grandfather has a lot better options. Have you talked to him about your concerns?

But I assume you weren't switched for no reason, that the Seroquel wasn't helping? Did you discuss upping the Seroquel?

I just started taking 25 mg of Seroquel for sleep. I'm not bipolar, I'm just a depression-anxiety basketcase. I can sleep with Xanax but I'd rather save all my Xanax for when I'm awake because, well, it's better to be on Xanax than to not be on Xanax at any given time, lol.

According to Wikipedia, somnolence is a common side effect. Maybe that it is why he is using it off-label. Latuda is an atypical antipsychotic used for treating schizophrenics and for bipolars, depression.

It is also supposed to help with memory and cognition, and it has shown to be effective as monotherapy for bipolar depression (which is rare, usually bipolars take an atypical and an antidepressant).

No doubt there are further studies being conducted to utilize it in other ways, such as an add-on atypical to an antidepressant, like Abilify. It does seem pretty unique, and I would be open to taking it as an antidepressant or add-on if it showed efficacy in that use. Still cost prohibitive, though. But cheaper for me than Fetzima and Brintellix. It's a preferred brand name on my plan.

I was doing fine on Seroquel. Lamictal 100mg and Seroquel 50mg. I stopped the Lamictal two months ago and was just on Seroquel. I guess he wanted to keep me on some sort of mood drug? He is still pushing the bipolar route even after I told him my concerns. He was basically like "Do nothing. Or do this?" I slept maybe 3hrs last night. Missing the Seroquel really hurts. Maybe it will get better soon.

My sleep isn’t great and neither my psych or therapist thinks that i’m bipolar, but I was prescribed Latuda. 

It doesn’t seem to make me get any more sleep, but it doesn’t hurt it, either. 

//Woke up at 4AM today and couldn’t get back to sleep... normal for me, anyway.

Edited by CrazyEddie