zoltetov

Caught The Early Onset Of Nightmares/sleep Paralysis/torture

It's 3:30am and I'm dying to go to sleep. The thing is, my head is still feeling all tingly from feeling the early "waves" of the viibryd sleep torture. Another user described it as descending into a rabbit hole at night, and that is exactly what it is. The last week was pretty standard, but tonight, I took the pill a little too late, and have been reeling from the side-effects. I get super dizzy, and I feel like I'm falling into sleep, except, when the electrocution-feeling waves started, this time I took my own advice and forced myself awake the split second it started and left to sit on the couch. I'm exhausted, but I rather feel that than go through this torture.

Having to deal with this, with a medication that is so difficult to get on/off, leads me to one conclusion: whoever the scientist was that discovered this medication should be drawn and quartered.

I'm terrified of getting off the meds. Staying ON the meds regularly has been a nightmare. Is there the equivalent of subutex to get off this stuff quicker?

Hello, I am new here and the reason I signed up is because I've been on VII bed for about 5 months now and just started to experience this problem also, and it has been scaring me considerably lately. The only difference with me is that if I accidentally forget to take my pill (40mg) I will get these symptoms the first night of forgetting to take it. It scares me that it happens so early, and it scares me to think about switching to anything else because I do not wanna feel this way more than one night in a row

. It gives me these like "electric waves" that feel like fast moving ripples of pressure between my ears .and makes you lightheaded, and its almost like the start of "hypnotizing" you into the super realistic nightmare that your going to experience for aThe entire night. It shocks you awake at the worst parts cause its so realistic, I'm talking at least a dozen times throughout the night. It feels so realistic that I start to question if that is reality or is where I just woke up reality and this sense of reality confusion lasts deep into the morning of the next day. I've actually not been 100% honest with my wife about it because it scares me so much to think about being weened off of this to be put on a different medication. It is like clockwork though, miss ONE DOSE and it will be like that that first night for me everytime, and I don't feel weird until I close my eyes. Now, I will say out of all the medications I have been on which this is my fourth different one, it does work the best for me, but I do have to make sure to not skip a dose at all is the only problem. When I was on lexipro, which I also liked, if I missed a dose i would just feel a little bit more depressed that day, which is the exact opposite of what is happening to me now. The reason I am posting all of this is because I hope to be able to find someone who is going through the same things as I am so we can talk to each other about it and be more comfortable about vibryd.

Remember to always push through the darkness, because everyone deserves happiness!

Hello, I am a 30 yr old female taking 20 mg of Viibryd. Although the original post was written in 2014, I also created an account because I felt compelled to respond. Treadinginthedarkness's post is the only written account I've been able to find that also describes my experience with VII. My sleep paralysis/night terrors/electric waves began after I had been on the medication for roughly 30 days. Initially, I brushed it off because I've always been an "active" sleeper and take a number of other medications for another illness, but after thoroughly researching the side effects and interactions of the other medications I take, and reading what Treadinginthedarkness and others have had to say about VII, I have to say I am very concerned about this drug. I was given it in sample form by my doctor and my insurance has rejected the prescription, saying it isn't on the formulary, and frankly I am now relieved. Tonight was my 5th night of sleep paralysis and I'll be contacting my GP for a solution in the morning because I can't keep doing this. Like the poster below, I was put on Viibryd by my my psychiatrist because I responded really well to Lexapro. Unfortunately my psychiatrist has been unreachable for the last 2 weeks so my GP will have to figure out what to do, and it seems like going off Viibryd is difficult. And what's even worse is that it DID help my depression, and I was beginning to see definite improvement, but the side effects are too severe to even consider continuing.

Again, I was so glad to read the post from TreadingInTheDarkness, and to know I was not alone. What a fantastic site this is. Thank you. Also, here are some other stories from patients who have experienced sleep paralysis on VII: http://patientsville.com/viibryd/sleep-paralysis.htm

I took Viibryd about a year ago. It killed my stomach, lower GI actually. It also got me too wound up in a bad way. It also had a weird sexual effect not being able to orgasm, but thinking you were going too. The good qualities were it made me highly motivated. I was getting all sorts of things done and in a good mood. Depression pretty much went away. But the anger fits would come on full tilt and hard to stop spinning. I did get very strange dreams that were not nightmares but too freaky. They were also random dreams jammed together that made no sense at all. Too weird. But I did actually sleep. Like within 5 minutes of putting my head on the pillow. And woke up immediately with the alarm and ready to go. Didn't even need coffee!!! The anger and ripping up my stomach did it in for me. It's the only med I've tried that doesn't make me feel tired.

I took Viibryd for about 6 months. But there were several problems. I did gain a little weight. I had TERRIBLE GI problems. Particularly diarrhea but my gut was ALWAYS GOING. You know when your gut is on the move and you can hear your stomach growling at you when you're hungry..yeah....all the time.

I had to take it in the morning.....and EARLY in the morning. If I slept in and took it at 10 or 11, I wasn't going to sleep that night. I do remember some vivid dreaming, but it wasn't really debilitating.

The electric shock sensation is my arch-nemesis. I have felt it after coming off just about every antidepressant. However, with Viibryd I would feel it for about 4 hours after taking it....every day....like clockwork.

I challenge anyone experiencing the electric shock sensation to see if you can control it by not moving your eyes. Stare at something, and then quickly look in a different direction, and that usually triggered it for me. So I would usually do things that didn't stress my eyes too much to try and deal with it.....didn't help much but at least I tried.

I am on my third week of Viibryd and last night experienced my first bout of sleep paralysis. I am worried because this medicine is so effective at relieving my suicidal ideology, but I will detail the events:

I take my Viibryd at 12 pm every day. I lie down to sleep at 12 am and usually fall asleep at 2-3. Last night, I fell asleep at 12 am (unusual for me, it usually takes me a bit to fall asleep). I woke up and thought it was morning, smile on my face and all, even feeling refreshed. Then, I thought I was in a dream because I was so convinced it was morning. It goes without saying that all I could do for 10-20 seconds was stare around the room until I finally jumped up, felt weak in the legs, and ran to the bathroom. I got a warm feeling down my neck, probably from the anxiety, and tonight I am terrified to go to sleep. This same thing happened mildly on Melatonin, but Viibryd and Melatonin are not even comparable. Please, if somebody has only noticed this on the onset of taking this drug and has experienced a more restful sleep, let me know. I can handle sleep paralysis every now and then -- but not every night. 

I find it important to mention that I woke up with the loudest tinnitus I have ever experienced, and it felt as thought I could not hear my husband talking. I was in full blown panic and I am also on 2mg Xanax XR at night for sleep. My pupils were dilated and my muscles weak. It went away within 15 minutes, but the jolt from sleep-to-wake was so alarming that I feel like I was ripped straight out of a dream -- as if I had slept the whole night through. I fell asleep to vivid dreams (which I have experienced since taking the drug) and got enough sleep, but am still nervous for the night ahead. 

Sleep Paralysis is something I have suffered from since I was about 8, the time my OCD started to flare up. Episodes were more common in the middle of the night or when taking a nap during the afternoon. After speaking with my mother around 17, I found she had them too. They became less scary with the present knowledge of what was really happening. 

I have tried to move away from heavy sedating medications like zoloft and prozac.  I started Viibryd almost 5 months ago and am currently taking 40mg. I noticed I had more episodes of sleep paralysis at 20mg but thought 'hey thats nothing new'. However now I am having 10 or 15 episodes in one night which throw me into a panic and upset my affliction to check the doors over and over as I pace.  Its not every night, however it's frequent and it upsets my whole body for days.  Even when I am so tired I can hardly keep my eyes open, and the fact I take 15 mg of Valium a day, I still panic about finally closing my eyes.  It's an odd thing going from insomnia to parasomnia.  

There is something different about this medication and my sleep paralysis episodes.  A normal episode last about 10 minutes, sounds are amplified to screaming, the dark is darker, dread and immediate danger feel overwhelming, the occasional vision of someone in the room, and of course  I cant move or speak.  My episodes on Viibryd include all of the above but are magnified to a state I can't work through the episode with rationalizing what's actually happening, they come back as soon as I break free and close my eyes again, deep voiced auditory hallucinations, and in order to break free from the episodes I must find a way to get myself fully awake again and then lay on my stomach. 

I wasn't aware of these specific side effects until I read the lawsuits online for others suffering in the same way in 2016. Reading everyones comments here also help validate that i'm not just upsetting myself into a tizzy. I'm feeling pretty confident that Viibryd is not for me personally.