What Are Peoples Motivations For Getting Up In The Morning?

My husband and my dog are the reason I get up in the morning. I get up most mornings and help my husband off to work and make him a take along breakfast. Sometimes I go back to bed for awhile. I feel like I never get enough sleep, and am waking up with more and more physical pain, even though I am young. Some days are harder than others. I know my husband is disappointed that I don't do more around the house, since I am not working. Some days I just don't know what to tell him, and have no excuse...

Good timing. Just got up and found this thread. Last night I had terrible nightmares, even worse than usual.

I got up because if I stayed in bed I would be constantly re-playing the nightmares in my head.

I hope that the memories of these terrible dreams will fade as the day goes on.

Like depressedocdanxious, I have dread and hopelessness that is very much worse in the mornings, especially right at first.

I had terrible nightmares last night, too! The most horrifying I've had in ages. For once, I was relieved when I realised it was only a dream! Usually my dreams are better than reality. I usually have the sense of dread when I wake up too...like a "I can't believe this is my life" kinda feeling, haha.

My familia, though all my kids r grown-up its hard for them seeing me slowing down, I think its fear. And I can't let my grandkids see me in my struggle concerning my health, they still think I'm indestructible. I'm the one who takes them on bike rides, help with homework, ect. My wife n I have already had "the talk". She knows how tired I am of living with physical pain; MI will never, ever beat me but all the physical illness is another matter. She knows I'm at peace an actually look forward to my day of rest. I know this isn't the religious forum but I truly believe in God n look forward to see Him, my daughter, mother, father, brother n the rest of my loved ones who have gone before me. So I look forward to each n every day, every morning, no matter how sick i feel. Life is so precious, awe inspiring that it motivates to keep moving forward n enjoying the good days n laughing at my past dark ones

I think you have to be at a certain level of happiness to feel this (and by that, I just mean not in absolute despair), but what motivates me to get up in the morning is a general interest in how my life will play out. I wonder what the next drama at work will be, who I will meet during the day, what kind of conversations I will have, etc. So although I don't necessarily look forward to things, I have a sense of wonder about what could happen. That's what motivates me. If I stay in bed all day, I won't get to experience the unveiling of all the mysteries that life has in store.

Edited by Saliency

To u who r suffering with physical pain on top of mental illness please dont beat urself up because u can't do more. If ur loved ones can't understand how hard it is for u then maybe they dont deserve u. I suffer from severe back pain, have lumbar fusion n my wife just had her second rotor cuff surgery so we do want we can. We both clean n my son n daughter do the heavy stuff. As some of u may know i used to be an avid bicycle rider, I was planning on riding my last century ride next month at the Tour de Palm springs but I now know that its a thing of the past. No more long rides on the back roads, n its hard to swallow but I had my day n it can't go on forever. So do the best u can n try to enjoy life. Im still awake because I've had a terrible few days but I do my best. And really thats all we can expect from ourselves

Getting my 5th grader to school on time, and his little bro to pre-school. And sometimes it's because I have to pee. Mornings are definitely tough. The kids are a good anti-depressant, but it's a short half-life: once they are in school I start moping around with my head down.

There have been many many mornings I've woken up in the morning and been filled with dread, anxiety and exhaustion.

I know I have no choice. I have to finish the last of my exams and staying home is not an option I have the luxury of having. Some days I am quite late due to how long it has taken to get my mind working, because being in that hopeless and dreaded mood makes it hard to concentrate, at least for me.I know I have to do it, I know that no matter how bad I feel I have to get up and go

This is how my mind works, we're all different but despite my crippling anxiety the stress of not doing what I know I need to do and the worry of letting others down or not being there for them is worse than the anxiety I feel when getting up.

Priorities for me, knowing that I need to finish my exams is enough for me to get up and get ready, I won't say it's easy, and I won't say I've not sat crying whilst surrounded by a ton of makeup to get me through the day, because I have on quite a few occasions.

I'm foul company however, I'm not malicious at all, I'm just too tired and depressed to be able to speak coherently.

After the day I get straight into bed and lie there for a while.

Not saying it's a positive thing, I wouldn't say my life right now is that postive, but I prioritise things and ignore everything in my head until I get back home.

I have no motivation, and have lost interest in all of my pleasures. I don't know what to do to get myself motivated. Anyone have any ideas ?

If I were more interested in things and hobbies and my interests, I would feel motivated to get up and get moving, but I have no motivation.

I think this is all a part of my depression .... once my mood lifts and I am feeling better, I think my interests in my hobbies and things will also

improve.

I have to get up, whether I like it or not, so as I can go to work which in turn enables me to keep a roof over my head and food on my table... and to buy video games to play. :P

Seriously though, even with incentive to get up in the morning its still very difficult for me.

I've noticed in the mornings I tend to be really upset about anything and everything. I don't want to cry because I don't get the point of it. I'm just extremely upset and irritable, and I can't think of anything good happening in my whole life ever. My system to get me up is to put my alarm on max volume so that it scares me awake, so that every morning I have to get out of bed to turn it off. From there I force myself to stay awake and get ready by deciding that I don't deserve to sleep. Like self-punishment but not the kind that involves wrists.

Upon rereading I have decided my morning routine is pretty funny. Dark humor I guess.

Edited by a1anna

Lack of motivation can be symptoms of mental illness; not being well managed, etc. There has to be reasons to move forward if not this can also effect our motivation or lack thereof. If one is stable n not motivated than maybe we just havent found the one thing that will. I think many times we look for greener pastures but they too will dry up; I would rather look within me, what does this for me. The road leading up the tram has always motivated me to ride it. Havent made it all the way up yet n never may but i'll keep trying n maybe some day...

I think life is the same. Lets us keep trying, let it motivate us. Just my thought