What Do Your 'good Days' Look Like?

pilar ternera

Most of the time I'm just on the same old line of depression, feeling the exact same every single day... I had a few days be just really good, for seemingly no good reason whatsoever. I just felt amazing, strong, confident, everything. And then I saw my friends.. And my mood just completely dropped so, so low. I've had some issues with them and go through periods where I either feel like they hate me, or I hate them. This happened last week and I'm still trying to recover from it, but it isn't working. I wish I hadn't have seen them and maybe I'd still feel the same.

I too am mostly just the same everyday. Once in a great while I feel really good.

I was walking on the treadmill everyday for a few weeks in late Oct early Nov.. and that really helped a lot. Then my knee went bad and I had to stop.

So I know for sure exercise really does help me. I have always exercised in the spring or summer (never sticking with it).

I so want to start again. Maybe I will and just take baby steps

Hello, pilar ternera!

Well, there are good days, and there are good days.

In 2011, I believe it was, I found myself "cured" of depression! I'd been ramped up to the full dose of EMSAM for about three weeks when I found myself... DOING THINGS! On my own, without any conscious thought. Working out, eating right, asking women out. I had more energy than at any time in memory, and I felt... good.

It lasted about three or four months, gradually eroded away, and I went off meds. But it was REAL.

Absent that episode, my good days have always been days when I can "skate" - boss is away, it's a Friday or weekend, whatever. Few aches or pains when climbing out of bed, pop a couple of ibuprofens to keep the pain away, traffic's good. Just kind of a numb feeling that I can pretty well check off one more of my book of days without too much trouble. Not really an optimism or good feeling, but a feeling of relief that nobody'll be majorly messing with me today, and I'll not have a huge opportunity to screw my life up, either.

Hope that helps in some fashion.

It's Monday morning, need I say more? We face a whole new week and a whole new challenge for most.

I've been reflecting a lot on what makes a day good or bad, and I am curious to hear what your good days look and feel like, as opposed to your bad days.

Hi pilar ternera,

When I wake up and can actually get out of bed, that is a good day for me. When I can put my depression, anxiety and OCD in a box so I can function at work, that's a really good day for me. When I can smile at the simple things in my life, like watching my dog and cat play together, go for a walk and smell the fresh air, that's a fantastic day for me.

I too am mostly just the same everyday. Once in a great while I feel really good.

I was walking on the treadmill everyday for a few weeks in late Oct early Nov.. and that really helped a lot. Then my knee went bad and I had to stop.

So I know for sure exercise really does help me. I have always exercised in the spring or summer (never sticking with it).

I so want to start again. Maybe I will and just take baby steps

Ugh, I'm really sorry to hear about your knee. I hope that things look up so you can get back on the treadmill soon!

In 2011, I believe it was, I found myself "cured" of depression! I'd been ramped up to the full dose of EMSAM for about three weeks when I found myself... DOING THINGS! On my own, without any conscious thought. Working out, eating right, asking women out. I had more energy than at any time in memory, and I felt... good.

This is the feeling that I day dream about. To 'function' through life without all the ick. It just feels so much more real like that. But then when I'm going through an episode, the 'real' ness seems fake. Almost like the depression is what life is supposed to feel like, and anything else is just a lie I tell myself to keep from bottoming out, you know?

It's Monday morning, need I say more? We face a whole new week and a whole new challenge for most.

I've been reflecting a lot on what makes a day good or bad, and I am curious to hear what your good days look and feel like, as opposed to your bad days.

Hi pilar ternera,

When I wake up and can actually get out of bed, that is a good day for me. When I can put my depression, anxiety and OCD in a box so I can function at work, that's a really good day for me. When I can smile at the simple things in my life, like watching my dog and cat play together, go for a walk and smell the fresh air, that's a fantastic day for me.

What great examples! When all of my issues are out of the box, it's so hard to enjoy all those little things because you just don't see them. But, sometimes just a quick smell of fresh air is enough to PUT everything in the box, so I get it.

These days, my good days are seeing a couple of friends, going to the gym and going to work without feeling deeply depressed or suicidal after any of those events.

My good days used to be walking across one of the most beautiful campuses in the country as the sun set, returning to my college dorm, being greeted by all my boisterous floor-mates, talking to my best friend for hours, going down to a huge dinner (that someone else had made) with a huge group of people, eating until I puked, and later getting rip-roaring drunk before spending the night partying with people I loved. And I thought I was depressed back then! My good days now would be equivalent to my worst days back then.

But I suppose lamenting the past doesn't help. I try to just get through each day and remind myself that better days are to come. Statistically speaking, I have a lot of days left, so surely some of them will be better than this. When I get through my worst days and stumble upon a good one, I always think to myself that it was worth it.

strangely my best days are not when i am "HAPPY", (actually im not sure when i felt "happy" last, probably about 7 years ago), but when i am not feeling as though i am anxious or under stress or a lot of unreasonable expectations, and i am just doing normal things, like exercising, grocery shopping, cleaning - doing a manageable quantity of worthwhile tasks at a reasonable pace.

A good day for me is quite simply a day of not feeling depressed! (I never thought this would be possible)

I'm usually have either a very good day or a very bad day. When it's a good day I feel like myself and appreciate all the little things in life and I'm happy, so positive,energetic, confident, full of ideas, can laugh, have good conversations etc. (Won't mention my bad days...)

My ability to do certain things on a good day varies drastically. So sometimes being able to get out the bed at all or have a shower was a miracle. Actually going out the house at all is actually a miracle for me compared to how I was a few months ago.

Edited by makemesmile

Ahh, good days. :)

Usually I feel confident in what I look like, maybe I've done my makeup or dressed in a certain way, but I feel confident.

Helping somebody in some way, watching them laugh over something I said, or just laughing at something somebody else says is what makes a day so... Well so good compared to other days! I'm somebody who is easily affected by other peoples moods, and being around people who are laughing at something I too find amusing is what makes a day good, and I end up smiling for the rest of the day.

"Laughter is the best medicine" may not be a completely correct saying, but it has a huge impact on my mental state. :)

So laughing and making somebody happy, or being amused, really makes my day good. :)

Not doing anything too stressful, letting myself by a little something like a soda drink is also a good thing. :)