Depression & Sensitivity

Licorice

Does anyone notice that they're much less sensitive to others during their lows?

I have an online friend who has depression, and he's been stepping on quite a few toes with his comments to others. To me he said that if we never talked again it wouldn't bother him. I try not to take it at face value.

Does anyone notice that they're much less sensitive to others during their lows?

I have an online friend who has depression, and he's been stepping on quite a few toes with his comments to others. To me he said that if we never talked again it wouldn't bother him. I try not to take it at face value.

I would imagine so. Depression really messes with our thoughts and good judgement. Not feeling well doesn't make us the most caring individuals, extra effort seems to be needed more often.

Personally I become hyper sensitive when I am low. Comments that I would normally brush off hurt me more and the on goings of the world really bother me. I nearly started crying the other day when I heard about animals being left outside to freeze to death. These things used to not effect me so heavily.

If you mean sensitive as in "considerate" then yes. When overwhelmed with emotional pain, I care less about other people. It's not unlike physical pain in that regard. If you physically hurt yourself and are in pain (imagine just hitting your toe very hard on a piece of furniture) you might snap at someone asking you an innocent question.

The difference is that it's often obvious when you are in physical pain and people will not ask you "How's it going?" If they see you with a painful expression holding your foot. Emotional pain is not as obvious, many people will notice, but they don't necessarily grasp the extent of your pain.

If you mean sensitive as in "less aware" or "less perceptive" then no, I'm just as aware. Furthermore, my "defenses" are down so I'm even more susceptible to being affected negatively by my environment.

Some people get that way, yeah. I think I'm sometimes one of them, but I haven't felt that way in a while. I'm more in a mode right now where I'm reaching out and trying hard to hold on to friendships I'm making currently. Trying hard to stay in that kind of mindset, because friends are good things.

I did know a guy for a very long time who was also an online friend, and as his depression grew worse, he'd start to treat me worse, to the point where I had to just stop dealing with him altogether, so that sounds familiar.

Personally I become hyper sensitive when I am low. Comments that I would normally brush off hurt me more and the on goings of the world really bother me. I nearly started crying the other day when I heard about animals being left outside to freeze to death. These things used to not effect me so heavily.

I have a similar experience, only irritability. It's really not like me.

It would probably bother him on some level, but perhaps he would be to numb too notice it. not to mention, depression can make interacting with others hard, perhaps it has to do with that.

That's true. It's a little bit like being in a different world sometimes and wondering where the owner's manual is for your normal person disguise.