Breaking Down New Year's Resolutions

Licorice

With the start of 2014, the Internet has seen a variety of New Year's resolutions. I've been hearing some points on keeping resolutions, so I decided to browse around a little.

Abstractness
People tend to choose a resolution like, “I am going to lose weight” or “I am going to write a novel.” But Burkley says these are too vague to be realistic. “The key to resolving this is being specific,” she says. So instead of vowing to simply lose weight, make your goal to lose 1 lb. a month. Or instead of writing a novel, try to write 1,000 words a week. “Making your resolution more concrete allows you to better monitor it. If you fall behind, you know,” she says.

After hearing something like this the first time I decided to make my writing goals for 2014 more specific: one complete, edited short story per month. I think it's much more motivating than alternatives like writing a whole novel, and harder to keep putting off until "later."

Are your resolutions concrete? How do you think you could break them down?

Nice post Licorice,

I make life resolutions, not just for New Years. I also am realistic and realize I get easily bored, so I keep mine small so I can really accomplish them. e.x. Going to bed on time so I'm not a grouch for the next day, easily done since I get sleepy very easily. Going out in public more, ( work doesn't count for me because that's my paycheck to survive ). Obsessing less for the things in life that are out of my control. I just try not to make concrete plans for any particular day of the year because I usually don't follow through. I have to do most things spur of the moment to get them done.

I think resolutions and goals are attainable if they are concrete. You have a plan to follow and achieve, and you know you've achieved it when you reach it.

My goal for 2014 is to read 24 books- at least two a month. I'm actually ahead of schedule (I'm on #5 already), but at the very least I want to maintain the two a month count.

Edited by LilyRain

:smile:Oh good, I was looking for a thread like this.

I am a HUGE listmaker. But making lists/goals/resolutions is one thing... working toward them is another.

Right now I have the goal of losing 20 pounds. I lost 42 in 2013, so 23 more would be perfect. I'm currently going for 8lbs.

I also want to write. Every day. Not edit necessarily, just write.

I also want to be more active here on DF and walk every day. Both of those things really, really helped me last year.

I think making concrete goals is a good idea for any time of the year, not just New Year's. Personally, I don't put a whole lot of stock in New Year's resolutions. If I'm going to make a goal and commit myself to it, there's no reason why I can't do it at any point throughout the year.

I think making concrete goals is a good idea for any time of the year, not just New Year's. Personally, I don't put a whole lot of stock in New Year's resolutions. If I'm going to make a goal and commit myself to it, there's no reason why I can't do it at any point throughout the year.

Totally agree. I just like to use the beginning of a new year as a catalyst for a change that I already intended to make.

:smile:Oh good, I was looking for a thread like this.

I am a HUGE listmaker. But making lists/goals/resolutions is one thing... working toward them is another.

Right now I have the goal of losing 20 pounds. I lost 42 in 2013, so 23 more would be perfect. I'm currently going for 8lbs.

I also want to write. Every day. Not edit necessarily, just write.

I also want to be more active here on DF and walk every day. Both of those things really, really helped me last year.

Have you tried the Pomodoro technique for writing? I usually cheat and cut the time down to 15 minutes.