Sign in to follow this  
onlinefitnesstrainer24

Feeling Very Nervous This Christmas

I spent Thanksgiving Day alone but made a promised to my Aunt that I would go to her house early and help her prepare things for dinner on Christmas Day and I am not going to back out because I know she really wants me there. But the thought of being around other people like that gets me feeling panicky, like right now I can feel my heart beating rather fast because company will be here very shortly. I almost felt like I wanted to cry earlier because I was feeling nervous and scared. Any advice?

Do you take any pills? Something for the anxiety, xanax and the likes? You could take one to calm down at least a little bit. I'm not saying that's a solution, but fast acting medication truly can be of help in such situations.

I suffer from anxiety too. It's really difficult for me to cope with it, because stuff like meeting people, going out etc. can trigger panic attacks. It's been some time now since I started suffering from it. I know it's awful and terrible but I can tell you one thing: of all the times I was feeling panicky before social gatherings or whatever, I have not regretted one single leap of courage. I'm not saying I always had fun, but I never regretted going in the end. And even when I didn't have fun, I was proud of myself and felt better afterwards. Your aunt wants you to be there, but you're scared. Anxiety is a beast, and wants you to be fearful and avoid things that can broaden your life. But you're not your anxiety, are you?

Great advice from Iris!

Onlinefitness....you inspire me w/ your leap of faith today! As a fellow sufferer I know how hard this is for you.

Merry Christmas to you both!

....gravity

Thank you for the reply, you make some good points. And you are right, you are not your anxiety just as you are not your depression. You have to be you and allow you true self to come out.

Couldn't have said it better!