Ever Hear A Song That Totally Resonates With You & Your Situation?

BoneSpur, Oh, I am so very sorry to hear! But could you tell me what In-Home Controlled Seperation is? I don't think we use that here in my part of the world. I never heard of it, definitely. 30 years, wow! It's half of your life. I feel with you :hugs:

Thanks Obli....we are under care of a Therapist, living under the same roof, but only talking via text, e-mail, and Instant Messenger. Essentially a 6 month seperation while we each work on ourselves and live totally seperate lives...rules in-place, doing a "date night" once per month...We attend weekly couples therapy as well.... If interested, read " How Controlled Seperation May Save Your Marriage". It has helped me....

It is tougher than actually being apart, since we pass each other at the house w/o speaking...ugh!

That sounds interesting! It this helping both of you in the right direction then? And how long do you have left? Sure, I am interested. Just not married, lol! I haven't even lived as long as your marriage has lasted :D

Ouch Obli...I feel old now...HA! We're only 6 weekis into the planned/negotiated 6 month program.

I know that this is really helping my wife....she needed to step-away from me, as my 40+ yrs of un-diagnosed Dysthymia really took its toll on her emotionally, and I've just come to learn through therapy that we've also had a Co-Dependant (CoD) relationship as well. So for her, this has been "freeing", and she is making the most of it...doing a ton of socializing (dancing at clubs, joined a new church w/o me, hanging-out with friends for Happy Hour drinks, involved in her profession's National Association). Me...that's another story; I've been blind-sided by her need for a separation....so I am heart-broken over losing the relationship, while she is happy, because she says that she was unhappy for so long, that she has had years to come to this place emotionally, and it is all new/raw for me. Now, there is no "Pitty Party" for me, I am trying my best to break the CoD behaviors (presently struggling with that, but making progress), I am working on ME, spending time out with my friends and trying to stay busy...it IS tough though, since we are living essentially as "Mute roommates", and work at the same company. A positive in this is that she is attending our weekly couples therapy sessions, as well as attending her own individual therapy sessions (she is sorting through some of her own demons).

I know this is something that we have to go through, and have hope that this will end positively, but am also planning for the worst-case as well, should she decide that we need to go our separate ways at the end of the 6 months.

Thanks for the interest - CD

There are a few songs that remind me of my Dad, he passed away nearly 10 years ago now, but hearing some of these songs still reduce me to floods of uncontrollable tears. I seem to react slifghtly differently with each song- I'll share a couple with you guys; he used to whistle to the end of 'Sitting on a dock of a bay' by Otis Reading, this is one of my personal favourites, so I feel it is bitter-sweet when I hear this, like it's a beautiful soulful song, but I can't enjoy it with my Dad as I once did, especially now I'm older and can appreciate these things more.

My dad used to love The Eagles and Paul Simon too, so when I hear 'Hotel California', 'Take it easy' or 'Graceland' in particular, it takes me back to my younger self when I thought he was invincible.

And then there's 'You're beautiful' by James Blunt (Yup I know), which was constantly on the radio when it came out. It was on once when we were driving to the cemetery where my Dad is buried, and the emotion of that song felt in tune with how I was feeling at the time. I still get that twinge if I ever do hear that song.

Lastly, my Dad wasn't alive when this came out, 'I Giorno' by Ludovico Einauldi, a piano solo, but for reason, it really reminds me of him. I think he would have absolutely loved Einauldi's music, which is so utterly enchanting and emotive. Oh jeez Louise, I've set myself off now.

Hey "I am"..thank you for sharing your story...very moving...I too lost my dad, and have my down moments about it. Here is a great Collective Soul song, by Ed & Dean Roland, about losing their dad...

"Crown" by Collective Soul:

Who's gonna be my savior

Now that I've learned to believe

Who's gonna be the answer

To all of my questioning

Well I hope I'm not lost

But I think that hope is now distancing

And the words that secure a thought

Are now faint wisperings

Who's gonna wear my crown

I don's know I just might alone

I don't know I've just got to go my way

Who's gonna be my partner

Now that I stand here alone

Who's gonna be the shepherd

To lead this poor boy back home

Well I hope I'm not lost

Are now faint whisperings

BoneSpur, Oh, I am so very sorry to hear! But could you tell me what In-Home Controlled Seperation is? I don't think we use that here in my part of the world. I never heard of it, definitely. 30 years, wow! It's half of your life. I feel with you :hugs:

Thanks Obli....we are under care of a Therapist, living under the same roof, but only talking via text, e-mail, and Instant Messenger. Essentially a 6 month seperation while we each work on ourselves and live totally seperate lives...rules in-place, doing a "date night" once per month...We attend weekly couples therapy as well.... If interested, read " How Controlled Seperation May Save Your Marriage". It has helped me....

It is tougher than actually being apart, since we pass each other at the house w/o speaking...ugh!

That sounds interesting! It this helping both of you in the right direction then? And how long do you have left? Sure, I am interested. Just not married, lol! I haven't even lived as long as your marriage has lasted :D

Ouch Obli...I feel old now...HA! We're only 6 weekis into the planned/negotiated 6 month program.

I know that this is really helping my wife....she needed to step-away from me, as my 40+ yrs of un-diagnosed Dysthymia really took its toll on her emotionally, and I've just come to learn through therapy that we've also had a Co-Dependant (CoD) relationship as well. So for her, this has been "freeing", and she is making the most of it...doing a ton of socializing (dancing at clubs, joined a new church w/o me, hanging-out with friends for Happy Hour drinks, involved in her profession's National Association). Me...that's another story; I've been blind-sided by her need for a separation....so I am heart-broken over losing the relationship, while she is happy, because she says that she was unhappy for so long, that she has had years to come to this place emotionally, and it is all new/raw for me. Now, there is no "Pitty Party" for me, I am trying my best to break the CoD behaviors (presently struggling with that, but making progress), I am working on ME, spending time out with my friends and trying to stay busy...it IS tough though, since we are living essentially as "Mute roommates", and work at the same company. A positive in this is that she is attending our weekly couples therapy sessions, as well as attending her own individual therapy sessions (she is sorting through some of her own demons).

I know this is something that we have to go through, and have hope that this will end positively, but am also planning for the worst-case as well, should she decide that we need to go our separate ways at the end of the 6 months.

Lol, sorry for making you feel old! Well, I am happy to hear this is helping the both of you. You're really fighting for it, beautiful :) I guess you sometimes have to go through the worst to achieve the best. I am nowhere close to the situation you're going through, so I will never understand. But I know how it feels to be lonely, lost and confused. And awfully sad, so I do feel with you and your wifey. I do hope all the best may happen to you! :) I don't even think they've ever heard of this kind of programme in my country, lol!

I love the lyrics, you shared :)

I really love these lyrics! They really tell how I feel right now.. auch!

John Legend - All of me

What would I do without your smart mouth

Drawing me in, and you kicking me out

Got my head spinning, no kidding, I can't pin you down

What's going on in the beautiful mind

I'm on your magical mystery ride

And I'm so dizzy, don't know what hit me, but I'll be alright

My head's under water

But I'm breathing fine

You're crazy and I'm out of my mind

'Cause all of me loves all of you

Love your curves and all your edges

All your perfect imperfections

Give your all to me

I'll give my all to you

You're my end and my beginning

Even when I lose I'm winning

'Cause I give you all, all of me

And you give me all, all of you

How many times do I have to tell you

Even when you crying you're beautiful too

The world is beating you down, I'm around through every mood

You're my downfall, you're my mus

My worst distraction, my rhythm and blues

I can't stop singing, it's ringing, in my head for you

My head's under water

But I'm breathing fine

You're crazy and I'm out of my mind

'Cause all of me loves all of you

Love your curves and all your edges

All your perfect imperfections

Give your all to me

I'll give my all to you

You're my end and my beginning

Even when I lose I'm winning

'Cause I give you all, all of me

And you give me all, all of you

Give me all of you

Cards on the table, we're both showing hearts

Risking it all though it's hard.....

Lol, sorry for making you feel old! Well, I am happy to hear this is helping the both of you. You're really fighting for it, beautiful :) I guess you sometimes have to go through the worst to achieve the best. I am nowhere close to the situation you're going through, so I will never understand. But I know how it feels to be lonely, lost and confused. And awfully sad, so I do feel with you and your wifey. I do hope all the best may happen to you! :) I don't even think they've ever heard of this kind of programme in my country, lol!

I love the lyrics, you shared :)

Hey....I'm not THAT old....ok, maybe 53 is old, but "I shall not go quietly into that dark night"....in my mind, I'm Peter Pan, 'cos i anin't never growing old! HA!

Well, I am happy to hear this is helping the both of you. You're really fighting for it, beautiful :) I guess you sometimes have to go through the worst to achieve the best. I am nowhere close to the situation you're going through, so I will never understand. But I know how it feels to be lonely, lost and confused. And awfully sad, so I do feel with you and your wifey. I do hope all the best may happen to you! :) I don't even think they've ever heard of this kind of programme in my country, lol!

Thanks for the kind words Obli. I hope the feelings of being lonely, lost and sad are transient....it is def. not a comfortable place to be, when all seems so bleak. I truly hope that you are lifted out of those chains, and can once again feel the sunshine on your face....EVERYONE deserves their time in the sun! Soldier-on, and I am sure you will make yourself happier, healthier, and have the company of the one you love, 'cos there is no other feeling quite like it.

I can understand the concept & methodology of separating/distancing, I can process the weekly therapy sessions, and I can make it through the tough times....but in my weaker moments, it all seems so foreign to me....almost surreal (as if this were happening to someone else). Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever envisioned us getting to this point. My parents divorced when I was 8 yrs old, and had promised myself that I would NEVER allow that end to occur in my marriage.....yet, here we are on the precipice. My CoD thoughts kick-in and that is where I really struggle...if I am not able to beat this soon, then I fear wifey will see that as a sign of my never getting better, in spite of the fact that the Wellbutrin has eliminated the Depression aspect of my issues. I am reading/researching all I can, in an effort to "Know my enemy", so that I can effectively face-down the CoD, and get comfortable in me just being me.

It's a bit upbeat in tone but the lyrics definitely convey a different message. I underlined my favorite line.

ANDY BULL - KEEP ON RUNNING

I’ll swim in a sea of approval, I will,
For a panacea, a surety, my insecurity calling for more than a thrill,
But surely a man doesn’t bend to a will,
But you bend and you break and you mend
and you tell all your friends in a song that it’s wrong and you’re ill

I tried so hard it isn’t funny
Tell me how I, how I should have done it
And I keep on looking
Will you tell me something?
How long do I have to keep on running, running?

Can I keep on running?

A memory taken each day like a pill
The mark on the wall that you kick when you fight in the dead of the night ’til the voices are still,
I’ll swim in a sea of approval I think,
Until when they bury me finally you can see maybe a time when a swimmer will sink

Tell me how I, how I should have done it
And I keep on looking
Will you tell me something?
How long do I have to keep on running, running?

Can I keep on running
Can I keep on running, running?

I’ll swim in a sea of approval I will
Can I keep on running?
I’ll swim in a sea of approval I will
Can I keep on running?

Tell me how I should have done it
I keep looking
Tell me something
How long do I
Have to keep on running running?

I’ll swim in a sea of approval I will... Can I keep on running ?

There are a few songs that remind me of my Dad, he passed away nearly 10 years ago now, but hearing some of these songs still reduce me to floods of uncontrollable tears. I seem to react slifghtly differently with each song- I'll share a couple with you guys; he used to whistle to the end of 'Sitting on a dock of a bay' by Otis Reading, this is one of my personal favourites, so I feel it is bitter-sweet when I hear this, like it's a beautiful soulful song, but I can't enjoy it with my Dad as I once did, especially now I'm older and can appreciate these things more.

My dad used to love The Eagles and Paul Simon too, so when I hear 'Hotel California', 'Take it easy' or 'Graceland' in particular, it takes me back to my younger self when I thought he was invincible.

And then there's 'You're beautiful' by James Blunt (Yup I know), which was constantly on the radio when it came out. It was on once when we were driving to the cemetery where my Dad is buried, and the emotion of that song felt in tune with how I was feeling at the time. I still get that twinge if I ever do hear that song.

Lastly, my Dad wasn't alive when this came out, 'I Giorno' by Ludovico Einauldi, a piano solo, but for reason, it really reminds me of him. I think he would have absolutely loved Einauldi's music, which is so utterly enchanting and emotive. Oh jeez Louise, I've set myself off now.

Hey "I am"..thank you for sharing your story...very moving...I too lost my dad, and have my down moments about it. Here is a great Collective Soul song, by Ed & Dean Roland, about losing their dad...

Who's gonna be my savior

Now that I've learned to believe

Who's gonna be the answer

To all of my questioning

Well I hope I'm not lost

Are now faint wisperings

I don's know I just might alone

I don't know I've just got to go my way

Who's gonna be my partner

Now that I stand here alone

Who's gonna be the shepherd

To lead this poor boy back home

Well I hope I'm not lost

Are now faint whisperings

Thank you for the song recommendation, BoneSpur- beautiful lyrics. You inspired me to write a haiku:

On the water's edge

I'm pulled down, slowly sinking

Lost to you, my love

Edited by SufferInSilence

I almost completely forgot about this song until I stumbled on to it again today. I love how it encompasses feelings of misery but still manages to be hopeful. No matter how many pieces you've been broken in to you can always build them skyward.

BIFFY CLYRO - MACHINES

I would dig a thousand holes to lay next to you
I would dig a thousand more if I needed to
I look around the grave for an escape route of old routines
There doesn’t seem to be any other way

Cause I’ve started falling apart I’m not savouring life
I’ve forgotten how good it could be to feel alive

Crazy as it sounds you wont feel as low as you feel right now
At least that’s what I've been told by everyone
I whisper empty sounds in your ear and hope that you won’t let go
Take the pieces and build them skywards

Cause I've started falling apart I’m not savouring life
I've forgotten how good it could be to feel alive

I've started falling apart I'm not savouring life
I've forgotten how good it could be to feel alive

and
and
Take the pieces and build them up to the sky

I'm sorry guys, one more! This song always moves me... But I'm gonna stop bombarding this thread now, I promise.

PETER GABRIEL - MERCY STREET

looking down on empty streets, all she can see
are the dreams all made solid
are the dreams all made real

all of the buildings, all of those cars
were once just a dream
in somebody's head

she pictures the broken glass, she pictures the steam
she pictures a soul
with no leak at the seams

lets take the boat out
wait until darkness
let's take the boat out
wait until darkness comes

nowhere in the corridors of pale green and grey
nowhere in the suburbs
in the cold light of day

there in the midst of it so alive and alone
words support like bone

dreaming of mercy st.
wear your inside out
dreaming of mercy
in your daddy's arms again
dreaming of mercy st.
'swear they moved that sign
dreaming of mercy
in your daddy's arms

pulling out the papers from the drawers that slide smooth
tugging at the darkness, word upon word

confessing all the secret things in the warm velvet box
to the priest-he's the doctor
he can handle the shocks

dreaming of the tenderness-the tremble in the hips
of kissing Mary's lips

dreaming of mercy st.
wear your insides out
dreaming of mercy
dreaming of mercy st.
looking for mercy
in your daddy's arms

mercy, mercy, looking for mercy

Anne, with her father is out in the boat
riding the water
riding the waves on the sea

PETER GABRIEL - DON'T GIVE UP is a good one too... but then again I love Peter Gabriel so admittedly I may be a little biased.

Edited by Dog

Who's gonna be my savior Now that I've learned to believe Who's gonna be the answer To all of my questioning Well I hope I'm not lost But I think that hope is now distancing And the words that secure a thought Are now faint wisperings Who's gonna wear my crown I don's know I just might alone Who's gonna wear my crown I don't know I've just got to go my way Who's gonna be my partner Now that I stand here alone Who's gonna be the shepherd To lead this poor boy back home Well I hope I'm not lost But I think that hope is now distancing And the words that secure a thought Are now faint whisperings

Thank you for the song recommendation, BoneSpur- beautiful lyrics. You inspired me to write a haiku:

On the water's edge

Lost to you, my love

WOW! NICELY done Ma'am!! You've got haiku skills! I'm impressed-CD

I'm sorry guys, one more! This song always moves me... But I'm gonna stop bombarding this thread now, I promise.

PETER GABRIEL - MERCY STREET

looking down on empty streets, all she can see

are the dreams all made solid

are the dreams all made real

all of the buildings, all of those cars

were once just a dream

in somebody's head

she pictures the broken glass, she pictures the steam

she pictures a soul

with no leak at the seams

lets take the boat out

wait until darkness

let's take the boat out

wait until darkness comes

nowhere in the corridors of pale green and grey

nowhere in the suburbs

in the cold light of day

there in the midst of it so alive and alone

words support like bone

dreaming of mercy st.

wear your inside out

dreaming of mercy

dreaming of mercy st.

dreaming of mercy

in your daddy's arms

pulling out the papers from the drawers that slide smooth

tugging at the darkness, word upon word

confessing all the secret things in the warm velvet box

to the priest-he's the doctor

he can handle the shocks

dreaming of the tenderness-the tremble in the hips

of kissing Mary's lips

dreaming of mercy st.

wear your insides out

dreaming of mercy

dreaming of mercy st.

looking for mercy

in your daddy's arms

Anne, with her father is out in the boat

riding the water

riding the waves on the sea

PETER GABRIEL - DON'T GIVE UP is a good one too... but then again I love Peter Gabriel so admittedly I may be a little biased.

Great stuff Dog....P Gabriel RULES! BTW, there are rumblings that he AND Phil Collins may be up for a full-blown Genesis reunion!!

Yet

There's a hot hard hurt

Burnin' under her skin

And it P**ks her like thorns

And it's needles and pins

And it twists in her body

And I know what it is

And I'm paying in pain

But it's the cost of the high

'Till the weight of the secret

And the weight of the lie

Makes my heart want to burst

Feel the ache as time goes by

Getting better and worse

Getting better and worse

And there's a screw that I tighten

As I dream of the kiss

And it twists and it cuts me

And you know what it is?

It's a fragment of love

From a splintering heart

And it tears her apart, yeah

But not as much as this

So you save up your tears

For the moments alone

'Till the splinters you gather

Leave you glass-hard and numb

And the same sun is shining

On the old and the young

On the saints and the sinners

On the weak and the strong

And there's a burning and freezing

And a cross for a kiss

So she learns to stop dreaming

And you know how it is

With these fragments of love

And this splintering heart

With the fragments

And this splintering heart

Another great song by Marillion..."Holloway Girl"...as with most of marillion's songs, the lyrics are deep & meaningful, but the lyrics alone don't do their songs justice...their muscianship is impeccable..highly recommend seeking them-out on YouTube...enjoy!

I was out in the cold of a north london street
A cog in the hurrying world
Above the walls and the gate police
I caught a glimpse of a holloway girl

She was reachin' out of a window
From a space just a few inches wide
'till the hand of justice pulled her back inside

One day, freedom will unlock your door
Hold on. believe on.
Be who you were before

I know how hard it can be to wait
For proof you were right all along
Self destruction is easy for you
We know what you're capable of

But like a needle in a haystack
The truth gets so disguised
In a kingdom built on madness and on lies

So hold on. believe on
Be who you were before
In deepest darkness
The faintest light shines bright
So hold on, hold on
It's gonna be alright

You're lookin' up at a mountain
Between you and the outside
But there isn't a mountain in this whole world
Hasn't been climbed

So hold on. believe on.
Be who you were before
In deepest darkness, the faintest light shines bright
So hold on. hold on.
It's gonna be alright
One day, freedom
One day, freedom

Hey "I am"..thank you for sharing your story...very moving...I too lost my dad, and have my down moments about it. Here is a great Collective Soul song, by Ed & Dean

Who's gonna be my savior Now that I've learned to believe Who's gonna be the answer To all of my questioning Well I hope I'm not lost But I think that hope is now distancing And the words that secure a thought Are now faint wisperings Who's gonna wear my crown I don's know I just might alone Who's gonna wear my crown I don't know I've just got to go my way Who's gonna be my partner Now that I stand here alone Who's gonna be the shepherd To lead this poor boy back home Well I hope I'm not lost But I think that hope is now distancing And the words that secure a thought Are now faint whisperings

On the water's edge

Lost to you, my love

WOW! NICELY done Ma'am!! You've got haiku skills! I'm impressed-CD

Thank you for the compliment, it means a lot :) I think I'm going to be more pro-active with my writing. Hope you've had a lovely xmas :)
Def spend some effort writing....you write lovely, and that could def be a great outlet for you. Please share more when you're ready!

Have a great, safe New Years Eve - CD

I used to rule the world and they took me down. Now I am nothing. This song never fails to make me sob even though the message is "who wants to rule the world anyway?". I wanted to, that's what.

Coldplay -- Viva La Vida

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can't explain
Once you're gone there was never
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world

It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People couldn't believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be king?

I know Saint Peter won't call my name
And for all it's worth
Woahahahah oh, woahahah oh
Woahahahah oh, woahahah oh,
Woahahahah

I know Saint Peter won't call my name
And for all it's worth

ooooooh ooh oooooh oh ooooooh oh oooooh oh.

The song I usually relate to most in regard to depression is Mad World, by band 'Tears for Fears'. but the version I know is the Gary Jules one, which is part of the Donnie Darko soundtrack as well as a separate cover.

The lyrics may trigger, I guess, depending on how you feel at the moment, but I've put them below, so read with discretion.

.............................................................................................................................

'All around me are familiar faces,

Worn out places, worn out faces.

Bright and early for the daily races,

Going nowhere, going nowhere.

The tears are filling up their glasses,

No expression, no expression.

Hide my head, I want to drown my sorrow,

No tomorrow, no tomorrow.

'And I find it kinda funny,

I find it kinda sad,

The dreams in which I'm dying

are the best I've ever had.

I find it hard to tell you,

I find it hard to take,

When people run in circles

It's a very, very mad world, mad world.

'Children waiting for the day they feel good,

Happy birthday, happy birthday.

Want to feel the way that every child should,

Sit and listen, sit and listen.

Went to school and I was very nervous,

No - one knew me, no - one knew me.

Hello, teacher, Tell me, what's my lesson?

Look right through me, look right through me.

'And I find it kinda funny,

I find it kinda sad,

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had,

I find it hard to tell you,,

I find it hard to take.

When people run in circles

It's a very, very mad world, mad world.

Enlarging your world.

Mad world.'

And those are the lyrics as I remember them, so hopefully I haven't got any of them wrong.

lately,i've been listening to a lot of music, mainly before sleeping since it's the only way to make my mind shut up and get actual sleep, i have sort of a weird musical taste so i've been listening to bon iver a lot.

this song is by them called holocene

i don't care much about the lyrics but the melody just gives me a sense of tranquility and peacefulness.