Curing Depression With Amino Acids And Vitamins

Hello,

I have suffered from depression and anxiety for most of my life. It has gotten really bad at times.

I used to be prescribed Prozac, but it stopped working after several years and made me feel functional, but like a zombie.

I was then prescribed Zoloft for a few years with the same effect.

Because these two SSRI's worked to a degree, I knew I at least had low serotonin, so I began searching for more natural ways of increasing this in my body.

I came across a book by Dr. Priscilla Slage called "The Way Up From Down". She offers it as a free PDF on her website. In it, she describes an amino acid and vitamin program that is backed by a good amount of scientific research to heal depression, and not only that, actually make you feel alive and normal. I was skeptical but pretty desperate, so I gave it a try. (I also read another one called "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross and that has a lot of the same information.)

It's only been a little over two weeks now, but even after the first day, I felt my depression lifting. For the past week or so, most of the time I don't even feel depressed, and on top of that I feel my normal self coming back. However, my mood has been up and down, but each day I can feel it getting better and it's more up than down.

So this is what I have been taking:

1500 mg L-Tyrosine immediately upon waking on an empty stomach + 50 mg Vitamin B-6 (the Pyridoxine-5-Phosphate / P-5-P form)

With breakfast: A pharmaceutical-grade multivitamin, a Co-Enzyme B Complex vitamin, 1000 mg Vitamin C

1500 mg L-Tyrosine in the mid-afternoon on an empty stomach + 50 mg B6 (P-5-P form)

With dinner: A pharmaceutical-grade multivitamin, a Co-Enzyme B Complex vitamin, 1000 mg Vitamin C

100 mg 5-HTP before bed + 50 mg B6 (P-5-P form)

The 5-HTP (you can substitute this with L-Tryptophan if you want) increases serotonin and helps me sleep. The L-Tyrosine increases dopamine and norepinephrine and gives me mental focus and energy and physical energy.

I think I may have felt like a zombie before on the SSRI's because they were only increasing one of the neurotransmitters in the brain that regulates mood (serotonin), but that I was still deficient in dopamine and norepinephrine. I feel so much better right now than I ever did on SSRI's, and I feel that's the reason. Also, whenever you increase one neurotransmitter like serotonin alone, this will result in a depletion of the others like dopamine and norepinephrine. So it's important to take both 5-HTP/L-Tryptophan and also L-Tyrosine, so they are all being increased at once.

The B6 (important that this is the P-5-P form) helps transform the L-Tyrosine and 5-HTP so your body can actually use them. The Co-Enzyme B Complex I take is a really good one and actually has this correct form of B6 in it already, so I may cut down on the extra P-5-P I'm taking throughout the day.

The pharmaceutical-grade multivitamin and Vitamin C are giving me more energy throughout the day.

I hope this helps someone out there.

I forgot to mention something pretty important. I have also removed most sugar and caffeine from my diet, and that alone helped immensely with evening out my mood. Both sugar and caffeine deplete the serotonin in your brain, which is not good if you're prone to depression!

The L-Tyrosine increases my energy, so I don't even feel much of a need for caffeine any more.

You should also not take L-Tryptophan or 5-HTP if you are already on a prescription anti-depressant (especially an SSRI), because they both increase serotonin, and you don't want to get serotonin syndrome! I would just talk your doctor first about tapering off while slowly adding in L-Tyrptophan or 5-HTP.

Edited by calvins_tesseract

Annnnnnnnd....one more correction:

I wrote in my first post:

"So it's important to take both 5-HTP/L-Tryptophan and also L-Tyrosine, so they are all being increased at once."

What I meant to say is: When you take 5-HTP or L-Tryptophan (and you should only take one of these), you should also have L-Tyrosine in your regimen. This ensures that you're not only increasing serotonin (with the 5-HTP or L-Tryptophan), but you'll also be keeping your norepinephrine and dopamine levels up (with L-Tyrosine).

I'm taking Daily Essential Nutrients and Free form amino acids and I'm finally getting better. drugs didn't help me and caused actually more problems in long term.

So it really does work.

Edited by neurotic_lady89
External link removed.

I'm taking Daily Essential Nutrients and Free form amino acids and I'm finally getting better. drugs didn't help me and caused actually more problems in long term.

So it really does work.

Great to hear amino acids are working for you too, even though you seem to be doing it a little bit different that I am.  It looks like you're taking a blend of all the amino acids, but I'm just focusing on the ones that increase mood neurotransmitter levels.

How long have you been taking this for?

Are you taking anything else for depression?

External link removed

actually, my main supplement is Daily Essential Nutrients

it has a wide range of vitamins and minerals with high doses. surf around on this webpage, to get more information, why this works. it's the same formula as Truehope Empowerplus. 

I started to take also aminos, because I was getting bad withdrawals from reducing my meds. and I was very suprised how well and fast the aminos worked.

I believe in complexes, because usually the things work in cooperation with eachother. 

I'm also on gluten free casein free diet. you can google that and opioid peptides.

I have been doing those things for half a year and at the same time reducing my meds. before that I was so seriously ill. I'm not healthy now but I'm a lot better and I have strong hope for the future. 

External link removed.

actually, my main supplement is Daily Essential Nutrients

it has a wide range of vitamins and minerals with high doses. surf around on this webpage, to get more information, why this works. it's the same formula as Truehope Empowerplus. 

I started to take also aminos, because I was getting bad withdrawals from reducing my meds. and I was very suprised how well and fast the aminos worked.

I believe in complexes, because usually the things work in cooperation with eachother. 

I'm also on gluten free casein free diet. you can google that and opioid peptides.

I have been doing those things for half a year and at the same time reducing my meds. before that I was so seriously ill. I'm not healthy now but I'm a lot better and I have strong hope for the future. 

I just looked at that multivitamin-mineral you're taking and it looks really good.  I like how it has the good form of B12 (methylcobalamin) and I like how it has a high dose of Magnesium (which I hear is absolutely amazing for depression, and I'm going to test it out soon, although since I'm not depressed anymore I don't know if it'll do anything!).  The proprietary blend looks good too, I just don't like how companies don't tell you how much of each of those is included.

I also consider my multivitamin-mineral to be the foundation of everything.  The one I take is just called "M.V.M." and is by Tyson Nutraceuticals.

I also avoid gluten (and most carbohydrates), sugar, milk products and alcohol too.  I find that sugar absolutely destroys my mood.  I also have energy and feel awake all day now, so I've cut my caffeine/coffee intake way down.

Have you ever tried taking L-Tyrosine and L-Tryptophan/5-HTP in higher doses?  If you're prone to depression, you might find that this combo really pulls you out of it in an amazing way.  I'm on day 23 and I haven't felt this good for as long as I can remember.

Removed external links.

Just an update:

I'm about a month into the program now and I'm still feeling incredible. No depression, no anxiety, no fatigue, no brain fog, no insomnia. In fact my cognitive abilities have come back completely. And I continue to have a very positive outlook on my future.

Please, if you're reading this and nothing has really worked for your depression and anxiety, look at those books I alluded to in my first post above.

This is far safer and far more effective than prescription antidepressants.

• 6 months later...

Have you ever tried taking L-Tyrosine and L-Tryptophan/5-HTP in higher doses? If you're prone to depression, you might find that this combo really pulls you out of it in an amazing way. I'm on day 23 and I haven't felt this good for as long as I can remember.

I might have to try now. I'm feeling so bad with withdrawals from drugs. I ordered tyrosine and tryptophan and I will give it a try! I hope it will make it easier to withdraw from drugs!

Edited by rapunzel

I took tryptophan and 5-htp before but they both made my depression a lot worse! I mean I felt extremely depressed and suicidal. These supplements don't work for everyone......on the other hand, I love l-tyrosine. Also l-phenylalanine lifts my mood and makes me happy, so does Mucuna Pruriens by Source Naturals. They both increase dopamine which is the reward chemical. I'm missing that the most....and with these supplements sometimes I feel like life is worth living again.

The SSRI never worked for me, except Prozac which I'm taking now, but it just provides me with a "cushion" so to speak. A certain level of comfort...sort of like "don't worry, the world will not come to an end if...." and I need that because of my highly stressful job. But that alone would leave me daydreaming all day....

Hi peeps,

I just recently found this topic on here. What a great thread! I've been so sick and tired of depending on SSRI's and fed up with the side effects, I've been doing lots of research as of late on alternative treatments to depression. Specifically I've been doing a lot of reading about amino's to increase Seratonin in the brain since that's what my specific problem area is. I've been using Zoloft for over 20 years and would LOVE to finally be off it. I don't even know what life would be like without zoloft it's been so long. Recently I started a slow taper off of Zoloft along with a amino/vitamin supplement program and so far things have been going well. I've been able to cut my zoloft dose to 50mg's from 100mgs without any ill effects. So far so good! Previous attempts to cut my dose has resulted in bad things, so this is a welcome departure from past experiences. We'll see how things progress as I continue to lower my doses. Fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using primarily L-Tryptophan along with B complex, multivitamin and Vit D3 on a daily basis. Tryptophan seems to be making me very drowsy so I've been using St John's Wort instead with even better results. SJW seems to work the same but without the drowsiness :) So far I've been able to taper to 25mg Zoloft without any worse side effects as the 50mg dose. I expect to stay on 25mg for awhile and see how this goes. I haven't been experiencing any brain zaps or major dizziness since the slow taper, just some occasional moodiness/irratibility. My mood isn't quite as stable compared to when on 100mg zoloft. Don't know if this is an expected withdrawal syptom or just normal behavior in the absence of ssri's. I've had a flat state of mind for so long I don't even know if what I'm feeling is normal or not normal. Either way I feel like I've reduced my dose more than I ever could have in the past. Who knows, perhaps I can rid myself of this last little dose without too much trouble. I just need to be patient and take my time.

I didnt have much luck with the supplement route. It used to work in the past when I was largely 'ok', but in the past 10 yrs or so, not enough to make a real difference. I remember taking the L-Tryptophan back in the 70's and early 80's when it was yanked from the market due to a contaminant. I remember liking it, but I just needed some 'tweaking'.

About a month into the amino supplement route and things are turning for the worst. Still on 25mg's of zoloft but mood is continuing to get worse and worse despite the amino's I've been taking. My mood is continuing to get more and more volatile by the day. Irratability and emotions are popping up all over the place for no good reason. Seems to me this is how I felt when I was first put on zoloft 20 years ago. No point in trying to take this any further, it appears it's not going to work after all. Doc agrees that I should probably go back to my former dose of zoloft since that's what has been working the best through all these years. At least I can say that I gave it a shot and it didn't work. No stone unturned is what I say. Grass isn't always greener on the other side despite the side effects I've had with this stuff. I'll just have to accept that it will be this way for the remainder of my years and deal with it.

I read that same book cover to cover. A really good book IMO. I also read "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross and thought it was a great book as well. I followed the whole amino & vitamin program as well, but it just didn't work like I thought it would. I ended up having too many issues and had to go back to my former med.

I'm happy that it's working for you. Keep up the good work!

I am very interested in curing my depression/anxiety in a homeopathic way. I do not want to have anything to do with antidepressants. I am currently looking into different natural supplements to take, along with improving my diet which I think should do me good. I am going to try to look into taking some amino acid supplements now as well.

• 5 months later...

About a month into the amino supplement route and things are turning for the worst. Still on 25mg's of zoloft but mood is continuing to get worse and worse despite the amino's I've been taking. My mood is continuing to get more and more volatile by the day. Irratability and emotions are popping up all over the place for no good reason. Seems to me this is how I felt when I was first put on zoloft 20 years ago. No point in trying to take this any further, it appears it's not going to work after all. Doc agrees that I should probably go back to my former dose of zoloft since that's what has been working the best through all these years. At least I can say that I gave it a shot and it didn't work. No stone unturned is what I say. Grass isn't always greener on the other side despite the side effects I've had with this stuff. I'll just have to accept that it will be this way for the remainder of my years and deal with it.

Hey Cheddarhead,

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but I just have a few questions...

Were you using the P-5-P form of Vitamin B6? This type of regimen won't work unless you take P-5-P with the amino acids.

The Tryptophan should also be taken before bed because it does cause drowsiness.

Also, were you taking all of this on an empty stomach? Amino acids shouldn't be taken with food because then the amino acids you take will be competing for absorption with the food in your stomach.

If you need to be on Zoloft, maybe you could try taking your Zoloft plus L-Tyrosine and P-5-P?

I would just talk to you doctor first though.

• 1 month later...

Hey Cheddarhead,

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but I just have a few questions...

Were you using the P-5-P form of Vitamin B6? This type of regimen won't work unless you take P-5-P with the amino acids.

The Tryptophan should also be taken before bed because it does cause drowsiness.

Also, were you taking all of this on an empty stomach? Amino acids shouldn't be taken with food because then the amino acids you take will be competing for absorption with the food in your stomach.

If you need to be on Zoloft, maybe you could try taking your Zoloft plus L-Tyrosine and P-5-P?

I would just talk to you doctor first though.

Calvin, great post- I'm pleased that you're still watching the post and responding. How is the regimen going- are you still taking the same combination, from December 2013?

I started an amino regimen also, maybe a few weeks ago. I'm just wondering- why is the p-5-p necessery? I haven't really been seeing results.. but I don't know whether my mix needs more time. I do just take a regular b6 vitamin, I got from a grocery store. I read [1] that regular b6 increases p-5-p, but may be useful in people who lack certain enzymes to help the inactive form change over (?)

Here is what I take, anyway- would you give me your thoughts or any insights into the list?

2000 mg of tryptophan

1000 mg of tyrosine

300 mg of st johns wort

100 mg of b6

1 gel-cap multivitamin

1000 mg trimethylglycine *supposed to increase sam-e levels, as well as help the body metabolize substances.

I take all of that duing the morning on an empty stomach.

[1] http://www.raysahelian.com/pyridoxal5phophatep5p.html

• 2 months later...

Finally, natural treatments for depression are getting recommended by mainstream psychiatrists.  The American Psychiatric Association highlighted micronutrients as an effective treatment for mental illness this month.  My own doctor recommended Hardy Nutritonal's Daily Essential Nutrients (an affordable micronutrient supplement) YEARS ago, and I have been successful and med-free ever since. It's great to see the medical professional industry rally behind a natural supplement for mental wellbeing.

As someone who both uses Daily Essential Nutrients and works in the medical industry, I personally believe we should strive to get the word out about viable, affordable, natural treatments like this.

So it really does work.

Removed external linking to sites selling products.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried taking Turmeric?  I've been taking just one capsule a day (will gradually increase this to 2 and then 3 per day).  I feel really calm and relaxed after taking just the one capsule and would absolutely recommend it.  Its a completely natural product and also has lots of other health benefits as well.

Thanks for your fantastic post Calvins, so pleased that you are feeling normal again :)  I have ordered Priscilla's book and am thinking of taking 5-HTP as well as the turmeric.  Will keep you updated on my progress...

Finally, natural treatments for depression are getting recommended by mainstream psychiatrists.  The American Psychiatric Association highlighted micronutrients as an effective treatment for mental illness this month.  My own doctor recommended Hardy Nutritonal's Daily Essential Nutrients (an affordable micronutrient supplement) YEARS ago, and I have been successful and med-free ever since. It's great to see the medical professional industry rally behind a natural supplement for mental wellbeing.

As someone who both uses Daily Essential Nutrients and works in the medical industry, I personally believe we should strive to get the word out about viable, affordable, natural treatments like this.

So it really does work.

Both links look rather like an advertorial/ad copy to me...?

But I do hope to see more recognition for nutrition, diet, and food-derived nutritional supplements in the medical and psychiatric fields. I know that informing myself and taking action has helped me, anyway...

I found that by eating more meat (natural source of complete protein/amino acids, as well as several minerals and b vitamins in their easiest to absorb forms) and unprocessed vegetables and fruit, I was able to recover a lot of the way from the worst of my depression (including over a year of being seriousy suicidal). I have read about people using isolated amino acids before but in some cases, just a properly balanced diet can probably help a lot too. I may yet try this in the future though, as I'd love to get my cognitive symptoms (poor concentration and memory) down to a more manageable level. Maybe this would help.

Removed external links from "quoted" text