Who Is Your Biggest Supporter?

Girly

Inspired by a comment by Lady Mozzer.

Who is your best friend when it comes to dealing with you mental health?

Mine is my Mum, followed by my Dad. I don't think they can ever completely understand BPD but they are wonderfully supportive.

Same here.

My mom and dad have always been really supportive. I've been really lucky about that, and very thankful.

Like you, I don't think they really understand how my anxiety and ocd work, but they are always there for me.

I'm sure my brother is supportive too, but he's two states away, and I hardly see him until the holidays.

Great thread :taz:

My husband is an absolute life-saver. Mainly for helping out with practical stuff like cooking and cleaning, and for having so much patience.

Another friend is someone I met online & have now known for about 4 years and met twice in real life too. She's someone who knows what its like to struggle to get up in the morning and get dressed and make breakfast etc...we can encourage each other and be a really good sounding board for each other. When we're both in a slump, at least we're not alone. She's great!

Um... I guess my mother, but she's also a leading cause of some of the episodes... so I'm not really sure. Most of my friends gave up on me. But I'll say that sometimes just having someone to talk to about "normal every day" things who treats me like a "normal" individual and doesn't get too heavy or judgmental... helps a lot. I can thank my younger sister for that.

Inspired by a comment by Lady Mozzer.

Who is your best friend when it comes to dealing with you mental health?

Mine is my Mum, followed by my Dad. I don't think they can ever completely understand BPD but they are wonderfully supportive.

Thanks Girly. I`m honored.:)

My sisters are also a great support for me.And my nieces and nephews make me laugh.

I think my biggest supporter is a friend I met through gaming who also doubles as an occasional tutor since we're in the same general field of study.

We deal with our emotions in the same way, so I feel that it's okay to suffer without doing so either in silence or openly. I can talk if I need to or say nothing and still be understood and respected, with no dismissive or flippant comments. I'm not very expressive and am more interested in thoughts than in feelings, which tends to make me misunderstood by and cause communication difficulties with my peers. It's nice to not be viewed as cold, mysterious, disinterested, or dysfunctional for being this way. I'm not ashamed of my emotions, broken, self-loathing, disinterested, uncaring, scheming, apathetic, dysthemic, or any other problems people turn to in order to explain why I'm not like them and why I don't like openly displaying my feelings and personal thoughts. I just don't show them openly for the same reasons I don't show off my naked body, my baby pictures, or my sleeping space.

One of the things I regularly struggle with is motivation and not letting my frame of mind affect my daily life too much. He's an older computer engineer who, despite being unmarried with his own set of mental health issues, loves his work, his family (and is a fantastic uncle), and manges to keep it all together. It's become a standard of strength and responsibility I hold myself to even when I don't particularly care about what I'm doing.

My Mental Health Team that I have had in place since 2006 after my divorce has been there for me through thick and thin. That would include my psych, therapist, psych nurses and dr.. Now that my children are older we have become best of friends and are there for each other. I am very cautious of what I tell them though. They know more of what is physically wrong than mentally although now that I am better than a few years back (I havnt even been in the hospital for a few years :) )they are let in on more. They sure are protective of me though. I have to remind them I live in an apartment complex where I can get help if I need it and I have so they have seen it. They have just had a hard time since my stroke and no one was around. It still is hard to open up though.

• 2 weeks later...

My boyfriend (should be my husband my now, lol), even though as of late I try to hide my bad days... if I ever bring it up he always says the right things to calm, inspire, or distract me from my "moods" or anxieties. No one else who knows me REALLY knows just how bad my anxiety and depression and self-hate can get... I always thought that finding someone like him, who has shown me nothing but devotion, kindness, protection and love and companionship would cure my depression... Unfortunately on that aspect I was wrong. HOWEVER, he has made it a heck of a LOT easier... despite being depressed I know I am not alone. He may not always be able to chase away these blues (and besides we're both still young and I only just heard of these things called "triggers" that I think if I look into I can find a way for us both to help manage the causes of the moods) but even if he can't keep them away from me every hour of every day, he is a shoulder I can cry on later, and each day he guides me to being the independant, beautiful, artistic and creative, inspirational woman that I can be... I am so lucky to have him by my side. (Though he'd say it's the opposite way around!)

• 2 weeks later...

By default I am my own best friend since there is nobody else for me to lean on. DF is my only other support.

Aww, sorry if it's a little forward *hugs onmyown* , I know it's not the same Onmyown but I'm glad you are here with us at DF's. You keep fighting the good fight, we are worth fighting for regardless of what we sometimes try and believe.

I guess it would be a fairlly even split between my wife and my dad. They have always been very supportive

and there for me when I need them, there have been some tough times these last few years with my crohns

getting worse but it has been a great help to be able to come home and tell my wife how Im feeling or phone

my dad and get support when I need it.

My mum has been supportive but less so in some ways, she "gets" my physical illness but the troubles

Ive had with depression less so.

I'm very envious of all of you that have family members to lean on. I come from one of those types of families that don't think mental illness is a true illness.

Posting on sites like this helps me. Even if it's posting something in a topic that has nothing to do with depression/anxiety/etc. But then, I've got to come around more often. :icon12:

You certainly will have to No1Cares (come round more often), that's quite harsh. Your family I mean, it's sad to know there are people who still believe that but in saying that, there will always be people with differing views about everything. But mental illness is certainly no less than a physical illness. Stay strong No1Cares, keep pushing on, things do get better, just never as soon as we would like it.

My hubby expects me to just snap out of this on my own, and my struggle with depression is a foreign concept for him. He hasn't met very many challenges he can't overcome with his native determination and independence. It sucks because he's my best friend, and he just doesn't get it. :coophelp:

My parents are too far away to be a support. It's just me and my obligation to my children, my husband, and my job. Don't get me wrong, I love them all dearly, and thank God for them everyday! But most of the time, they represent needs that must be met. This forum is a source of support, and reaching out to others helps me to refocus a little. The fact that I'm visiting again means that I'm struggling again. :help:

My mom is the only one that "gets" me. As in all of me. My dad tries his hardest but he does't "get" it. Meaning the mental issues and being gay. He loves me no the less, but he doesn't "get" it. It's partially because of his brain injury.

My hubby expects me to just snap out of this on my own, and my struggle with depression is a foreign concept for him. He hasn't met very many challenges he can't overcome with his native determination and independence. It sucks because he's my best friend, and he just doesn't get it. :coophelp:

My parents are too far away to be a support. It's just me and my obligation to my children, my husband, and my job. Don't get me wrong, I love them all dearly, and thank God for them everyday! But most of the time, they represent needs that must be met. This forum is a source of support, and reaching out to others helps me to refocus a little. The fact that I'm visiting again means that I'm struggling again. :help:

Gah, hey that's a real rough one 20YearsandCounting. I imagine you must be a super mum of sorts! Haha. For me just reading how you worded that, really expresses a lot about you, there sounds like a lot of determination and drive because there can be no other option. However there is always another option, the problem is if we give in, if we let it become an option we allow ourselves to become susceptible to so many other problems that are potentially circling us that we had no idea about. It's hard, and that word couldn't be more understated! But sometimes when we're in the middle of a battle it can be the best place for us, now I'm not saying - Hey lets all get ourselves in strife, but what I am saying is that people who are going through really tough times often experience the most growth in their life whether they know it or not.

I feel like you must be quite a tough women 20YearsandCounting, holding down a job, being a mum, a partner and a fighter in depression is nothing shy of amazing. I'm sorry your partner doesn't quite understand how depression can shake you, it really is something else. But I couldn't be more glad that you have returned to DF's, I think that's just another sign of how determined you are. You said your partner is very determined but I think you are just as determined, people who haven't experience depression can't truly understand the type of battle it is, and it's surely a battle. Is it possible you can search your area for support groups? Is it something you can talk to your doctor about if you haven't already, can he refer you to a therapist or a psychologist? It sounds like you would really benefit from being able to not only use DF's but also converse with people in person about what you're going through and also relate to others.

If this isn't an option though, I'm glad you're here with us at DF's we really all do need each other and there is so much understanding and respect for people here. You can do this, I believe in you!