Struggling To Get Out Of Bed

Oh my, I feel like utter crap. I missed yet another day of college, missed an apointment with an international student who was due to help me with the foreign language Im studying and I left her waiting there :verysad3:

I struggle to get out of bed everyday its been like this for years :verysad3: I hate the anxiety, the two hour journey, my lack of friends and non existant relationship with my parents.

The only time my dad is interested in talking to me is when it's about work or school, I've had absolutely zero form of an informal relationship with him.

My attendance is horrendous, I struggle with sleep and motivating myself to leave the house.

Im 7 days on Zoloft, felt good for the first 4, but feel like crap today, I hope this works out for me.

Hi, welcome to DF, good to see you.

So sorry to hear that you are struggling so much to get motivated. Keep up with the Zoloft, it can take a few weeks to be totally effective.

Can you call the international student and speak with them?

Take care

Some days I stuggle to get out of bed also.. That feeling that you cant bear to face the world and you just want to be alone and safe and not have to exhaust yourself by puting all your energy into a facade that everything is okay. I personally set my alarm to go off way before i need to get up. I usually fall asleep a few times again and each time I wake up I tell myself its okay because I dont have to leave the house just yet. I think the extra time in the morning to think and relax before I get up helps me when I finally actually have to get up and get ready to face the world. The meds you are taking will hopefully argee with you and make it easier. I have been on antidepressants for about 4 years and they do give you that extra bit of a push you need. In my case they stop me from over thinking things as my thought processes are slowed down. So I have time to control any negitive thoughts and talk myself into a more positive frame of mind.

Dont give up :)

Dan

I used to be like that. It actually took my life nearly falling apart to get past it. I nearly failed out of college because I simply didn't see the point in anything really. I had to appeal to be reinstated in the college. I wouldn't say I was exactly better after that, but felt like I had no choice but to move forward and make the effort even if I wasn't hopeful of the outcome. Things did get better. I graduated, and it is much easier to motivate myself after seeing how staying focused on what needed to be done paid off. I hope it doesn't come to that for you.

One suggestion I have is to not take slip-ups too hard. Just because you miss a class/appointment/etc doesn't mean you should give up. That was a huge probblem I would have. I would miss 1 or 2 classes then be too anxious to approach my professor and try to make up what I missed. TYhey might not understand your situation, but they will still see you are making an effort.

I was just thinking today about all the things I missed, including a good friend's wedding, all because I was too depressed to get up and go. Also, I never had any self esteem and thought I looked like a freak no matter how normal I looked (I felt so ugly). So, I understand how you feel about leaving that student waiting. And I know it's hard to face up to it. I never did. I used to just consider the bridge burned and lose my friend. Now I have pretty much no one left, not even my siblings. I'm estranged from everyone. I have tried to explain to some how I am and why I do what I do, but I find it does not really help me feel better about it, and I'm not forgiven for how I act. Don't know what I'm trying to say. I guess just don't beat yourself up over it. Sometimes we just have to accept that we do things like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I struggle with getting out of bed more than anything else. The thought of each day ahead is terrifying to me. I have a very hard time getting to work on time. Once I am there things are better. I set my alarm for 5 am and hit snooze until 7:30, get up, don't shower or eat and leave the house 15 mins later looking like I've just rolled out of bed because i have. No makeup, hair in a ponytail, often wear the same clothes over and over just because i can't bear to get out of bed. It causes huge panic for me. No way to live.

Totally with you on the feelings of getting up in the morning for work, especially when it is dark, cold and raining. Its so bad for me at times I feel so much rage and feel sorry for myself that I have to get out of bed. It is usually made worse that my bf can 'work from home'. I don't enjoy my job and spend the days doing as little as possible, procrastinating and day dreaming until it is time to go home! I think I have what they call 'walking depression' I am able to put on a brave face and say I am fine and get on with my usual day to day chores but something deep inside me is not happy at all. Hugs to you all xxx