Music You Listen To When You're Sad

will59

I always listen to music and it really can make me feel awesome even when I'm stressed and sad and I would love to see what you guys listen to... alternrock metal pop classical romantic indie whatever.

I'll start,

Breaking Benjamin - What lies beneath

Pierce the Veil - I don't care if you're contagious

La Dispute - Such small hands

Bring Me The Horizon - The sadness will never end

Sunny Day Real Estate - In Circles

Brand New - Vices

Hope you all have a good day,

Will

I listen to so much music all the time but when I'm really down in the dumps I blast electronic through my headphones to drown out my thoughts. Here's a small sample:

C2C - Down the Road

C2C - Le banquet

Deadmau5 - Some Chords

Hermitude - The Villain

Imagine Dragons - Radioactive

Lindstrom - Vos-sako-rv

Pendulum - The Island sunrise / sunset (part 1 and 2)

Pendulum - Witchcraft

Skrillex - Bangarang

The Phenomenal Handclap Band - Following

I listen a lot to an online radio station (Pandora) and have a station that plays James Taylor and similar songs. James Taylor has depression, and at least for me, his music is soothing to my mind. -jimg

James Taylor is a great example. I've seen him a bit in personal settings in NY. His voice is soothing. I love his concert persona. Child of the 1960s. I recall when he signed as an Apple artist. He did a benefit concert for the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, when it hosted an antinukes demonstration many years ago. The costs of hosting the monks who came from other countries was substantial. He spreads warmth and good feeling.

I also fall back on the Beatles. When I am depressed, I like the early Beatles and McCartney's ballads. It is very different than my preferences when I am doing better. The Beatles and James Taylor take me to a time when I felt safer. I perceived myself as safer. I had family support back then. A feeling of community. There were tough times, too. Different than now in challenges. I white knuckled to the Beatles and James Taylor. When I am feeling slightly better, I also listen to Dylan. I am not drawn to the WHO or Stones during times of crisis. Elton John is a good source of music, too.

My musical choices reveal where i am in recovery. Oh, to listen to the power chords of the WHO again. I will.

When feeling sad, I prefer to listen to Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. I love the very black humor so prevalent in several of their songs (like 'Up Jumped The Devil', 'Stagger Lee' and 'The Curse of Millhaven') but, I also find their more delicate and romantic pieces of music (e.g. 'Straight to You' and 'Are You The One That I've Been Waiting For') so soothing.

I also love to listen to the 90's Eurodance classics. They're in general very catchy and cheerful, which is ideal when I want to distract myself from my worries. Oh, and an eternal feel-good song of mine is 'Hand In My Pocket' by Alanis Morissette. It always tends to elevate my mood, no matter how sad I have been.

It all depends on the type of music I feel like listening to. I listen to a little bit of everything under the sun. Lately I tend to put on Emilie Autumn when I am feeling down. I found that Sigur Ros really brings out the emotions I feel so sometimes its nice to just bawl my eyes out listening to them when I am sad.

Asleep~The Smiths

Back to the Old House~The Smiths

Half A Person ~The Smiths

Seasick Yet Still Docked~Morrissey

Used To Be A Sweet Boy~Morrissey

I`ve Got No Distance Left to Run~Blur

Tender~Blur

Fade into You~Mazzy Star

Enjoy The Slence~Depeche Mode

Lover You Should`ve Come Over~Jeff Buckley

Hallelujah~Jeff Buckley

Grace~Jeff Buckley