A Post Apocalyptic World

themadplatter

All of a sudden this seems to be a very popular genre. I've been turned on to this fantasy ever since I read Stephen King's "The Stand" almost 30 years ago.

I LOVE the idea of civilization coming to a crashing end with just a handful of survivors. I believe that I would be in my element if this became reality (as a survivor, not a zombie)...that my depression would become part of my past.

I especially like zombie stories which are so widely available now in digital format. They're fairly affordable, too. Besides *"The Stand," I thoroughly enjoyed Max Brooks' "World War Z" (the book, and although the movie adaptation was quite different, I still enjoyed it on the big screen). And speaking of the big screen, my favorite movies on the genre are "28 Days Later" and "Shaun of the Dead." Also, though Cormac McCarthy's *"The Road" is quite grim, it's an excellent read.

Anyone else feel the same way as I do about the idea of your depression becoming a distant memory in such a scenario? Or do you just wish civilization came to an end?

*not zombie stories

The loss of pleasure and being forced to endure pain & hardship on a daily basis is a way of life for Depressives...so perhaps we would survive longer in your Fantasy World than the Mentally Healthy 'normies' who are used to experiencing joy, bliss, happiness.

IDK...You may be onto something Mad! Ahhh...Sweet Rvenge! It's your fantasy Mad.... :taz:...it can be however you choose! LOL

And to think...for all these many years my fantasy has been a 'level playing field' for us! I'm clearly not aiming high enough.!

Happy :turkey1: Day!

....gravity

That is a very interesting point of view. I never thought of it that way. I like those kinds of books, movies, etc. The Walking Dead is one of my favorite shows. However I always thought they were depressing. (Maybe I was just depressed and liked having something outside myself to blame it on.)

Wet blanket alert...!

I'm not too big into that concept. Why? Where ever we go, we are there. The one thing we can't escape is ourselves. So seeking escapism via post-apolcalytic world doesn't make much sense to me. (Other escapisms are more appealing to me).

So why would depression be a thing of the past for you in that situation?

mm

These movies turn me off. My personal history plays a large role in why they do not appeal to me. I was raised in a cult where God is going to destroy everyone but the religons' adherents. When I was a small kid and went to preschool, I loved the other little kids. It made no sense that God would hate them so much. They were good little kids. We shared milk and graham crackers. There was also much violence at home. When you live it with it daily, it is not exotic. It is terrible.

I do understand the need for escape. Would I love to escape my depression!

I'm not nuts about the corporate-controlled society we live in. The impatient pace and need to show off all the time is very wrong, according to my world view. But I'm not sure if I'd like to see it all come crashing down. Some days, yeah...but right now, typing this message, I'm not so sure...

Although I wouldn't say I'm big on the idea of civilisation coming to an end like this, it is interesting that you brought it up, as I too have thought that if this were to happen, maybe I'd be "in my element" so to speak. I don't like the idea of millions of innocent people suffering and dying. I do, however, like the idea of having to live day by day and having no reason whatsoever to panic about the future. A life based on surviving, without having to worry where I'll be in ten years time, sounds ideal! A life where I have to worry about staying alive rather than if I'm wearing the right clothes or have an attractive haircut. I find that most of the things people worry about (and are told to worry about by society) are so superficial and unnecessary. It'd be nice for all that to go away!

Interesting topic madplatter. The idea of the end of the world intrigues me. I don't feel much fear towards it because I don't feel much fear in dying, more like whats after. I think if the world were coming to an end by natural disasters I would feel at peace. Afraid but okay. On the other hand if it was coming to an end by something like war, zombies, or sickness I wouldn't be feeling at peace. I think it would be kinda cool to die watching asteroids fall. It'd kinda be like fireworks... And I love fireworks ^.^

• 2 weeks later...

Post-apocalyptic themes are some of my favorites in fiction, but I think I would be significantly more depressed in a post-apocalyptic world due to my basic needs being in great danger. There would also be the loneliness factor of potentially having no one to share anything with or having to fear losing my ragtag group of survivors to the wilderness.

I have noticed that getting away from the modern world as I know it has an effect, however. A few years ago I spent the weekend out in the middle of nowhere with an old friend and a few dozen strangers for a camping and concert event. Everyone set up their tents on some land behind a combination bar, bowling alley, and restaurant near farming fields, and the only other place for food was a 15-20 minute walk to a gas station with nothing else in sight on the horizon. There was no technology and nothing to worry about that wasn't a practical matter.

Edited by Licorice

Video games are an amazing escape while they last and if post apocalyptic is your thing you should try Fallout 3 it'll let you play out your fantasy pretty much how you wish, games like that are the best they make you think of what you would do in that situation

Took the words right out of my mouth. Since my depression will stay with me for the rest of my life I have come to accept video games as a way of "getting away." Fallout 3 including the add on packs is a great game. It was game of the year in 2008 I believe. You can check out some YouTube videos on it.

Video games have been very important in coping with my depression.

Forcing myself to start has been an issue, but once I got going it was easier.

Edited by svendorrian

I agree with the two people talking about video games. Although... my choice for escapism would be geared more towards fantasy genres rather than post-apocalyptic.

As for the actual question, I can understand your point of view.

I do, however, like the idea of having to live day by day and having no reason whatsoever to panic about the future. A life based on surviving, without having to worry where I'll be in ten years time, sounds ideal!

Agree 100% with this.

I'm... sure people who don't live comfortably in first world countries would find this viewpoint offensive though.

Sometimes I picture the start of depression, or any big crisis, like an asteroid that hits the earth. The aftermath is the post-apocalypse, where almost everything and everybody has been destroyed. You can fall into despair and never recover (which would be like dying, or becoming a zombie), or you can try to overcome the crisis (rebuild your life on new foundations).

I LOVE the idea of civilization coming to a crashing end with just a handful of survivors. I believe that I would be in my element if this became reality (as a survivor, not a zombie)...that my depression would become part of my past.

In a sense, I think this is already my life. The life I had before the depression is gone. There is a before and an after. Depression destroyed my world. But it is also an opportunity to build a new and better one.

Yes! Someone eles who has this fantasy Aswell. I always thought I was a sad loner but I love everything survival such as camping and treking. Not to mention how much stress and hate for other people I would be able to exert on zombies heads. It's for so far that I have a full plan for a zombie invasion one plan is for walking zombie and one plan for running zombies (I've put much thought in so won't share :p) I've never linked this love for disaster to my depression/anxiety. Many other people with anxiety worry constantly about this sort of thing but I'm the opposite I embrace it's possibility.

Those who disagree may think I'm wierd but how can u worry and be depressed about things that no longer exsist. Also does anyone know where the rate of people who suffer from depression is the same in subsistent farming communities (Ledc's) as in the western world?

While not apocalyptic in nature Mass Effect 3 is a fantasy, futuristic based game in which you command a 3 man/ woman team in single player mode and in online multiplayer mode in which you work with three other people online as a four member team. Mass Effect 3 takes place far in the future, everything is in galactic space- the Earth is simply not even habitable anymore.. One group of enemies are called "husks" ..they are similar to zombies, they look and behave in a similar fashion.

There are You tube videos available also..

Mass Effect 3 is my most favourite game and while the game has been out awhile now I currently still play the game online almost every day.

If anyone plays X-Box 360 and has Mass Effect 3 - and all of the additional online multiplayer packs- you can look me up (Svendorrian) and we can play together...

If you are not good at playing the game that's okay...just stay right behind me and whenever you go down (and you will) I will revive you. But beware some other players may only look out for themselves.

You have to play the online multiplayer game for months to be able to really build up your characters and equipment, but when you do its a huge difference.

Most people move on to something else by then, and veteran players of the game do not want to waste their time with someone who may just play a little, give up, and leave,

So I would advise not to dedicate yourself to the game unless you intend to play the game for a long time- or at least until the next Mass Effect comes out.

Edited by svendorrian