Sign in to follow this  
onlinefitnesstrainer24

Am I The Only One That Spends Their Entire Weekend Alone, With No Friends

I mostly see my friends at campus and occasionally will meet up with one of them here and there to do homework at the library or what not. But then many times plans don't follow through because they don't want to. And honestly I feel like I am the only one who tries to initiate doing something...I have friends but I feel like I only have one true friend...I feel like when I leave campus on Friday I am leaving for solitude and loneliness until Monday.

I feel for ya. I have no friends either....after awhile the pain and loneliness just becomes routine. Hope thats not the case for you. you are young still, perhaps when you start working after college, you will click with coworkers and begin long term friendships there. i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I spend entire weekends alone on many occasions too. I find that it is not being alone, but the stuff I tell myself when I am alone that hurts. I find that I can control what I tell myself and tolerate being alone, even enjoy it, believe it or not. If you are interested, I can tell you more. Best to you and sorry you are feeling bad. I know how painful it can be!

Not too long ago I really tried to contact people, to go and do things. It took effort (and Xanax). When things continued to be so hard I just stopped. Yes I'd like to have friends ask me to go have coffee on the spur of the moment or go shopping. Now I just settle for Wednesday's dinner with the girls.

I thought it would get easy but I guess for a depressed introvert socializing will never be easy.

Oh onlinefitnesstrainer24, if only you knew how I spent my days haha. I have no friends nor do I have a boyfriend but I don't really care cause the truth is I don't want people around me at least not right now with the emotional state I've been in. It's lonely at times but I've learned to enjoy my own company. Some days are worse than others though and it gets really lonely so I just read or listen to my music. It sucks yea but the more I think about it and make myself long for a companion the more I'll feel like crap. My dog is my bestfriend right now as sad as that sounds. I've had that too, having friends who don't make an effort. I was friends with a girl who only messaged me to hang out when it was convenient for her. I waited for her to step it up because I wanted a friendship that was more than just hitting up the mall or theatres. I wanted sleepovers, camping, theme parks all that cool stuff. She had another best friend though who she did all of that cool stuff with and I started to get jealous so I eventually just said adios and went my own way. By myself but at least I'm not being put second. At least you have one true friend :) Remember it's not the quantity that matters it's the quality.

Edited by frozenheart

I mostly see my friends at campus and occasionally will meet up with one of them here and there to do homework at the library or what not. But then many times plans don't follow through because they don't want to. And honestly I feel like I am the only one who tries to initiate doing something...I have friends but I feel like I only have one true friend...I feel like when I leave campus on Friday I am leaving for solitude and loneliness until Monday.

I'm totally on my own on weekends, but I've somewhat put myself there...isolating myself, although I know it's about the worst thing to do. I get home Friday afternoon from work and more-often-than-not, I don't step outside my house until Monday morning when I start a new workweek having spoken to no one other than myself.

Back in January, I was somehow motivated to start exercising and doing Meetups. It lasted through the summer, but stopped once the new school year started (teacher). Anyway, it sounds like you want to do something with yourself on weekends. I highly suggest meetup.com. You may already know about it, but if not, don't think that it's a singles thing. It's a place where you can find like-minded people who are interested in doing similar things that you do or are interested in doing. I got involved with a hiking group and another that did a lot of kayaking. If you live in a fairly good sized town/city, you should have some good luck finding something there.

I'm still at school and nearly all of my summer holidays (6 weeks Mon-Sun) have been just me and sometimes my sister; didn't see a single 'friend' most years. But things get better; more people are seeing me and I couldn't have guessed that a year ago so things really can surprise you for the better with patience. Hope everyone has a good day :). Sorry if this isn't helpful

Edited by will59

I can relate to that pain of loneliness. I have social anxiety (I realise now I've had it all my life). I also find weekends and for me evenings hard. I have my parents but otherwise almost nobody in the world.

I am trying to get help with that as well as my depression. For me they are two different problems, but the depression makes being alone more lonely. I'm not sure what treatment you have had but therapy might be able to help. Is say that DF is one of the few sustained set of friends I have had. people here know about depression and it gives me an outlet as even though I'm pretty open about depression it would just scare new potential friends off.

Most weeks I don't talk to anyone. For me, it's more acceptable and less of a problem when I stop imagining how things are "supposed to be", and stop comparing myself to peers and social adverts suggesting life is a big party. There aren't any rules or "should-be's". Lots of people get down on themselves because they measure themselves against others, and determine their own wants based on what their peers want (or have). When I focus strictly on what I want, the pressure is taken off. This may be easier for me because I'm ambivalent about socializing - I recognize the elements of me that are asocial. I imagine this won't be as applicable to others who are fully social but inhibited by something. Just my 2 cents.

edit: I don't think separating what I want from what I think I'm supposed to want is as easy as it might be imagined, for anyone. It took me a while to begin realizing I didn't want the social role my family wanted, and by degrees I felt less bad about not measuring up.

Edited by Saros