Major Deprssive Disorder

hi my name is pathos. i have been diagnosed with mdd for a year now but have always known that there was something wrong with me emotionaly. i just wanted to introduce my self as a new member and say that years before i would say to myself 'imagine the person you want to be and just be that person.' today i have to take small steps and consider it progress. sometimes just gettiing out of bed for a little while is progress. my favorite saying is "he who says he can and he who says he cant are both usually right" those kind of things help me have the drive to push. i would be glad to hear anything others say to motivate themselves. if you have any affirmations you would like to share please do. thanks, pathos

Hi pathos, I'm glad you decided to join the forum. I just joined myself a couple of days ago. It feels good just to talk to people who understand. I do not have in mind a quote to share but I like the quote you shared.

He who says he can and he who says he cant are both usually right.

I will keep this in my mind as I struggle through each day.

hey newbie, thanks for your kind words. just knowing i could say something that my help someone on their own journey to recovery or at least a semblence of peace in there lives makes me feeel good. you definitely made my day. thanks again and take care, pathos.

One of my favorite quotes :)

"If the life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show the life that you've thousand reasons to smile"

"Depression is like a war, you either win or you die trying"

"There is always light at the end of the tunnel"

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"

"When it seems impossible and you are ready to quit, victory is near!"

I hope you like them.. :)

i feel very depressed today and have no words, but to say thanks for all of the kind words. i like the idea of being on a raft because that reminds me that this feeling is but temporary. at times like this i get very apathetic and negative. i see the light at the end of the tunnel, but i think it might be an oncoming train. i believe that our creator loves each and every one of us individually, and so for now, on that i will ponder as well as the reminder served by each of you all, that is... i am not alone. thank you all very much.

Yes pathos...lot's of company here.

I envy you and bluestate being on a raft.......at least you are moving, floating to somewhere!

I feel stagnet, as if I'm encased in cement and struggling to move.

Sorry you are going through this pain.

And.....happy that you feel it will only be temporary as that observation of your's indicates that the light you see probably isn't the feared locomotive but the morning sun.

Happy Thanksgiving :turkey1: .............gravity

there is room on this raft for alll who want to come along. the more that get on the faster the raft will move if we all do are part in rowing. and if you cant row just ride along and find away to encourage the others to row. the more you find a way to encourage others the sooner we will all get to where we are going. Jesus said there is more happiness in giving than receiving.even if you cant move your body, keep moving your mind even if it is only a small move. --- As i sit here severly depressed and unable to move i think to myself this is only temporary, this cannot last if i keep my mind moving and soon i just know that my body will follow. Till then take courage and be strong for your god loves you and soon this will get better if only one baby step at a time. take rest if you need to, but look ahead and make a plan for what you will do when the depression lifts if only a little bit. and thank you gravity for your encouraging words, they are very helpful and a good reminder on always revaluating ones negative perspectives... like seeing the beautiful sun instead of an oncoming train. take care all my new friends and do your best to think positive thoughts and surround yourself with people who can help you, like those in this forum who understand and can show real empathy, not just sympathy or even pity. on some level i believe that we all know what we need to do but sometimes we need little reminders. i think back to my original post and how true it is that: "He who says he can and he who says he cant are both usually right!" --pathos

Pathos,

Love the raft analogy! I can feel myself riding those waves and paddling like heck to reach smoother waters. It is nice to know I have the support of those in the raft with me, even when I cannot paddle myself. Thanks

hey sassy,

glad to see the positivity in your words and that you are trying to help others in this forum. it is very commendable and worthy of note. keep up the good work and thanks for setting a good example. hope you find the story i sent you encouraging. everytime i tell it to myself it makes me smile and reminds me to try and look at my depression from different points of view. i often find that there are things i can still do if i just get the correct perspective.

the story i shared goes something like this: there was a boy with a ball and a bat. he threw the ball in the air and as it was coming down he said to himself, "i am the greatest hitter in the world and then swung at the ball but missed. again he threw the ball in the air and again as it was falling he said to himself, "i am the greatest hitter in the world, but again he missed the ball. he tried this a few more times again with the same result. finally he threw the ball in the air one last time and with a little more focus and a little more concentration. as the ball was falling he said to himself, "i am the greatest hitter in the world" and what do you think happend... he missed again. he stared down at the ball lieing on the ground with a look of utter disapointment. just then he began to smile and said to himself... "i am the greatest pitcher in the world!!" ---- sometimes we just need a different perspective on our problems to realize that maybe things are not quite so bad.

"EVERYONE IS MY SUPERIOR, IN THAT, I MAY LEARN FROM THEM." --- Anonymous

Again depression has got me feeling so low today. I'm still looking for another great quote I can use to try and pump myself up. Please share with me what you say to yourself to motivate yourself when you feel the depression coming on or arriving. My favorite one is still the one at the bottom of this page. Sometimes I just feel so alone in this mental anguish. I am single, live alone, and have no parents or siblings or family at all. I know I spend too much time alone and isolated, because I dont like to burden what friends I do have with my depression problems. I try hard to educate myself about MDD, my meds and on going med changes. I often read self help books and do everything I can to not miss my weekly appointments with my therapist. So I again humbly ask anyone who is reading this for your best or most useful affirmations or quotes. I believe I need all the weapons I can have, if I ever hope to get control of this illness instead of it controlling me. Thanks so very much. ----- Pathos

Hi Pathos. Sorry to hear today is one of those bad days. I have a list hanging on my fridge I use on a daily basis. I hope one of them will help.

Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can - Lowell Thomas

Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most. -Buddah

Energy and persistance conquer all things. - Benjamin Franklin

Your mind is the garden, your thoughts are the seeds, the harvest can either be flowers or weeds. - William Wordsworth

You don't have to control your thoughts;you just have to stop letting them control you. - Unknown

Wishing you find meaning in any of those words.

Edited by sassy13

Hello Pathos, welcome to the forum. I'm glad you decided to join us.

I get lots of bad days too, sometimes I feel as if I'm dragging my feet through out the day.

And as for quotes: read the one in my signature. :flowers:

Here's another quote too.

"Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy."

Thich Nhat Hanh

"Pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our consciences, but shouts in our pains. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world."

C.S. Lewis

Thank you Sassy and BWR,

I will meditate on your suggestions and try to incorporate them into my mind, thanks so very much for going out of your way to a complete stranger. I will pray for you and for me that we can somehow find peace in this world of utter confusion. I just need to have a better plan. I must find a way to overcome. I must and will. I cannot continue to have this illness push me around the way it does. Thanks again and take care of yourselves as best you can as I know you will. Your friend in the fight! -- Pathos (Andrew)

Pathos,

Just curious if your having better days. You are right, there needs to be a plan in place so we will have weapons when we are feeling down. A very wise person once introduced me to the "7 P's"... Prior Proper Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance. I always used it for school or work,never thought it might apply here! So ma be if I have a prior plan I will not perform so poorly when I'm down? Anyway.. have a good day.. and thanks for the prayers.

Hey sassy,

Thanks for asking. I am feeling slightly better. I know that now is the time for me to push. Dont feel like pushing but I know that I must. I am in the stage where I will take pleasure in the smalll things I can accomplish. Have not eaten today but did manage to get out of bed, shower and change clothes. Checked emails, then went back to sleep. At least it was something. I have to take pride or something in the baby steps. Tomorrrow I will push again and try to acccomplish more. Will eat something tonight then go back to sleep.

So much appreciate you asking. Perhaps I too will try and give encouragement to someone in this forum. Ice storm last night and so far five inches of snow. I miss the sun so much. I hope it comes out tomorrow. Thanks for showing intrest in me. It helps to talk about these things. Thanks Sassy, --- Pathos

Well I guess this will be may last post in awhile. The beast (depression) has got me cornered. I have been feeling him coming on for the past few weeks, and he finlally had got me cornered' i am ready for him with my Afirmations, anecdotes, self help books. Funny dvds and much prayer. This depresion dCOMESwith jo ryhn or rwWOJ