Depression Mean Faith Is Not Good Enough?

I want some feedback and advice on an issue. I heard a preacher the other week say something that hurt. He was preaching about having faith and leaning on God. He states that we medicate our kids now when they depressed and we should just turn to God instead. My daughter has been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety and is on meds. She used to be involved in church until this has happened. She has turned off from it now. She was with me when our preacher did this. I don't believe it means you aren't a Christian because you take depression medicine. It really bothered me since I have been on Luvox for almost 20 years myself for bi-polar and OCD! Please give me advice or ideas about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that lack of faith or great faith doesn't enter into whether one has depression.

I have been a Christian for 50 years now. Yet, 20 years ago I fell into the pit of depression and have suffered thru many times of deep depression since. My company sent me to Emory-envirionmental to be studied, because Companies across America had complaints similiar. The chemicals I had worked with(now banned in US) had gotten into my brain.The chemicals caused brain damage resulting so the brain chemistry was off. This resulted in Chronic Severe Depression.

I work in my church as a teacher in the Senior Adults on Sunday, and a Youth Leader/teacher on Wednesday. I am also involved in Prison Ministry.

I have also met uninformed People and Preachers that say --Just Shake It Off.or You've got to have more faith...... They just don't know......I agree we should ask God to Heal Us. Sometimes He Heals thru medecine and sometimes, though rarely, thru a Miracle. Even when Jesus was on the Earth, everyone He walked by or talked to where Not healed miraculously.

My church accepts the fact that I have been hospitalized numerous times for depression and when I get back I am always so much better and a better man for it. They Pray for Me and ASK God to intervene in some way.

All that said ------ God can still heal miracuously if He choses to do so, but He has also let Men have great knowledge of meds. That is the way He treats Depression or any illness most of the time. Thru Doctors and Meds He can work to Help You. To be Hospitalized is not the worse that can happen to someone. God even works there as well.

Hope This Helps

good morning to you and your daughter graycoyote. I must say that there are always preachers putting their foot in their mouths, me included, but no depression isn't because of lack of faith, its just a plain or illness, just cancer, etc. if one has cancer wouldn't he/she take meds for it, of course unless they don't want a fighting chance. its same for any other illness, including mental illness, period.

as you know Luke was Paul's physician and what was his purpose besides helping in the gospel but to help keep Paul healthy. until one suffers from or has family that suffer from MI they will not realize that there are meds dedicated to helping those like us that suffer from this insidious condition.

GY if you and your daughter ask God to heal both of you and it hasn't happened that He wants you both to take advantage of meds. Now if you were to ask me why God hasn't healed you well I simply don't know; why has He not healed me and countless other who asked to be healed from various illnesses. I guess we have to wait till we see Him to ask. LOL. please be assured that this preacher and anyone else who preaches/teaches against taking meds is totally wrong.

please tell your girl that she needs to be on meds, not to blame those who are ignorant and fearful, just to pray for them.

I thank God for people like you that are in this forum. have a blessed day. Rev. frank

Thank you all for the great replies! It means so much to me! I needed to hear from some other people I was right in feeling the way I do. I agree 100% that God can heal if he chooses to do so. Lord knows I have asked enough especially for my girl. But I feel God has a purpose in this and it will be used for his glory in his time. I believe God uses other people to help us through things in life. I also think he uses doctors and medicine to help us. Thank you so much for all the opinions!!!

I agree with everyone else's sentiments.

I choose to believe the preacher (or anyone else, really) would change his mind if he had a closer brush with depression, in the first-person, or through family or friends, and that his armchair opinion probably comes from a place of happy uninvolvement. I blissfully believe that if he had all the gathered data presented to him regarding depression, he would recant his opinion.

While it's still an irritating comment, I can understand it having been made, when voiced from a position of ignorance. I hope someone can offer him an opposing viewpoint soon, especially since he has a pulpit to speak to others.

I can remember foolishly telling my wife--- to just shake it off-----get over it----You just need a little rest ---after she had our first baby. Boy, after getting severe depression myself I've had to eat crow.

Those that have never had it ---Just don't realize what it is like. They can't fathom the depth of depression and despair unless one experiences for oneself. I have asked my wife to forgive me many times over for my blunder.

A preacher friend of mine told me of a friend of his who always preached that--- depression was a spiritual problem within the person. That is until----- he had to take Heart meds which side effects, led him into the depths of depression for himself. He no longer preaches depression is a spiritual or faith matter.

Hi there two I hope u have been able to deal with this issue. People talk out of ignorance. I thought graycoyote had started the post, I use my fone most to post n the screen is so small. Sorry n thanx

people are so afraid of mental illness especially because they are ignorant of it. I agree that if they had family who suffered from it or themselves their tune would change. there should be a way for us to contact to the church/clergy to make this more real to them, THEN maybe they would look at it from a more human view.

I really hope anyone here who has had a bad experience with clergy or anyone else has come to understand that mental illness is an illness. I have always had problems with taking meds n my faith but I truly believe that God put meds of course pdocs to help us out. I really wish that there would better meds out there to stabilize my depression. Prozac use to work better for me that what I take now but it really made me fell dis-connected. blessing to all

Please continue to pray for us!! She goes to new pych dr Monday and I am praying he has answers. I am praying God lets her realize that He alone is in control and He will always love her and hold her close. So scared she is turning away from church because of hurt feelings. Keep praying and may God richly bless you!!!

blessings two. please tell your daughter NOT to turn away from God, the church is another thing but if she does you and I both know that she will turn away from God.

please tell her that its man that makes mistakes, not our Savior. I will be praying for her and you. I wish I could do more or have the right words to reach out to her and you but I don't so all I can do is pray, which is very powerful.

In His service, Rev. Frank

Hi. I am going through a similar situation now. I am a Christian. I have heard everything from you have demons or a lack of faith due to my depression from church members and preachers. No body understands depression or any mental illness unless they have it. People think it can be prayed away or you can just snap out of it. But, it's a struggle and it takes time to figure out what will work for treatment. I think prayer can give you guidance to decisions but I still think their needs to be additional help as well.

no demons, n certainly no lack of faith. sorry to burst people's ignorance but its just plain mental illness, nothing exotic about it.

there are cases in the bible where God has healed in an instant but there were also doctors in biblical times. Paul is a prime example, yes Luke helped in the gospel but he was also Paul's personal doc. Prayers certainly helps along with just a bit of faith, the size of a muster seed, not much. But why does God not heal everyone who asks, I really don't know, wish I did but until and if it happens there are meds for us, and thank God for them.

I am lucky in that my meds work almost in an instant, I can be off of them for a bit and as soon as I get back on them they work right away I just feel that they don't help enough. I really think something else would work better for me but its really hard to see my pdoc, especially not with all the vets coming back from the wars.

so two how r things today, sure hope n pray they r better. I have been praying for u both n everyone here so I do hope things have turned around. please remember that even we preachers r human n sometimes we talk from the wrong side of our mouths, if u get my drift. lord bless

hope everyone here is having a great day n happy thanksgiving. please remember that during this time of year many preachers will be saying things, some good n some not so good so please take them as they should be, with careful examination, prayer n thought.

His comments reflect complete ignorance of what depression is. It is a illness. If we did not have a biochemical disturbance in our brains, the meds could not work. Depression is not a character or faith flaw. I researched the healings of Jesus carefully. First, Jesus only healed a few people compared to the total population in Judea or Galilee. Faith can give us hope and purpose. Faith alone cannot cure our brain chemistry. It is troubling that a minister could have such an outdated concept of depression.

We need to be clear as consumers that we suffer a physical illness. There is nothing wrong with praying or reading the Bible. These are good things. Nevertheless, they are insufficient to make us well. We need to see health professionals for treatment. God works through health professionals. I am certain that God wants us to seek out medical treatment.