Excessive Rumination - How Do I End It?

Ixeua

I ruminate too much. There are so many things I need to finish but I feel so paralaysed by waves of regrets, failures and bad memories. I have tried activating my body to get away from all those bad thoughts but they keep coming back. Whatever I do seems so futile. Depression has already caused me to fail classes despite being a hardworking student. I simply cannot beat it because it has such a strong grip on my mind. I cannot remember the last time I slept well even on weeks I had no classes or anything to do. Excessive ruminating is literally destroying my life and career.

Your rumination is the result of your mind trying to work its way out of the depressed state its in, but not knowing how to do it without help. If by "activating my body" you mean being physically active, you're doing the right thing. When I'm depressed, it's hard to be active because the depressive thoughts tend to lead me to intertness, so I know what you mean. You can't beat it alone, because the depression is interfering with your brains "higher order" functions which help you learn and memorize, things you need to do to succeed in academics. You CAN beat it, be a successful student and have many achievements in your career and life, but you need professional help in the form of a psychologist and / or psychiatrist. You can do it, there are people out there who want to help.

Your rumination is the result of your mind trying to work its way out of the depressed state its in, but not knowing how to do it without help. If by "activating my body" you mean being physically active, you're doing the right thing. When I'm depressed, it's hard to be active because the depressive thoughts tend to lead me to intertness, so I know what you mean.

Thanks. Is there any point in trying to fight ruminating?

I find it extremely difficult to put things in perspective when depressed.

I have another idea along these lines. Have you ever tried formal instruction in meditation? Meditation is not a space of no-thought (although sometimes your thoughts may cease briefly, which is awesome) it is the practice by which you change the way you relate to all thought. If rumination is ruining your life than I would suggest finding a different way to relate to your thoughts. Perhaps then your thoughts may be put back in their place as a tool for you to use when you want it. Meditation helps with the struggling aspect of you vs your rumination. With extended practice, meditation returns to you the choice of how you respond to your thoughts or feelings. If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it as a killer antidote to rumination. Good Luck.

Medidation is very effective, but it's a learned skill and it's hard to learn when you are ruminating. Honestly I think it is very hard to learn not to ruminate solely with meditation, but like exercise it's incredibly helpful.

To my surprise, wellbutrin reduced my ruminating 80%.

I tend to ruminate a lot as well, and I used to do it even before falling into depression - in fact, I think it's one of the reasons I became depressed.

I have to say that antidepressants and anxiolytics do help, but now I'm doing better than before and I suspect it's all because of the fact that I stopped overthinking. I know it's easy to say - you can't just stop overthinking, especially in a depressive state - but I managed to do it going through many bad lows until I just decided to be more careless about everything in general. I created a comfortable environment around me - created bonds with people, even if it was very very difficult in such a state -, got help from the people around me, started thinking less and less about my depression. I was, too, a very bright student but then depression led me to put some academic stuff off and even if I was anxious about it before, now I care much less.
What you have to know is that the way to "end it" is not thinking about the way to end it, because that would be a way of overthinking. You need to immerse yourself in the environment around you and not beat yourself over the way you're feeling, we're not supposed to feel good all the time. I'm sure phisical activities help a great deal.
I hope it makes some sense x(

Thanks. I have tried meditation on and off but I have never been consistent with it.

I am doing heavy physical exercise on the side.

To those who meditate often, how effective is meditation?

I have to tell you- if you are doing heavy physical exercise, that is an absolutely fantastic sign. When I am deep in rumination mode, I can no more do heavy exercise than I can lift a house. It just becomes impossible. As for meditation, I'm going to the library to get a book on it myself.....

• 2 months later...