What Do You Spend The Majority Of Your Time Doing?

Saliency

What do you spend most of your time doing and how would you rather be spending it? When I'm not working or studying, I spend most of my free time envisioning scenarios or conversations, and thinking about what I would say. I can get lost in my own fantasies for hours. I guess that contributes to my depression because I feel like I waste a lot of my time. I think I'd rather actually be learning things about the world and acquiring new knowledge, but I always end up getting lost in my thoughts.

When I'm motivated, I will be reading self-help books or learning new things.

When I feel lonely, I just go to Google News and reading random articles and refreshing the page.

I think a big part of this is because I stopped using Facebook. When I was using Facebook, I never felt really lonely because there were always people to talk to...

When I'm feeling motivated I study, read Wikipedia pages, go to the gym and follow a good diet. I'm not motivated much, however, and sometimes for a only a few hours at a time. When depression takes over, I get this horrible combination of apathy, restless and irritability that makes doing anything seem like a massive, pointless ordeal. I waste days just walking around my house, feeling annoyed about everything and barely able to focus on anything for more than ten minutes.

The reverse-magic of depression is how it can doesn't only "sap" interest in things one once enjoyed, but it prevents (me at least) one's mind from even contemplating things other than it's own diseased state. I notice that if I'm reading something interesting and 'lose' myself in it briefly, it reminds me of a former life state where that was the norm, and soon it's gone, replaced by worry, stress, bitterness, resentment, etc. My waking hours are poor, my sleep is worse. My hope is that it can be overcome.

When I'm not at work, I sleep a lot. I slept for 14 hours between yesterday and today. I'll often drop for 12 hours and then sleep for another 4 if my husband's at work. I work 8-5 Monday to Friday but he works retail, usually both weekend days. When I'm alone...oh yeah, I sleep like a cat.

Basically all I do is sleep, work, and go on the internet. If I didn't have to work, I'd force myself to go to the gym more, but my job takes whatever little energy I have, and than I don't want to do anything after work. The hours I get are awful, and I don't know why I haven't just quit yet.

When I'm not at work, I go to swimming practices, choir practices, occasionally browse around the web or play a computer game, clean the house if needed, cook if I'm hungry, taking a walk (mostly at nights at 8 or 9pmish), play with the kitty or tease the neighbours' dog. Also I help some of the coursemates at calculus.

Edited by 7thHeaveN

Hmmmmm 50hours a week working the rest gaming/drinking/thinking of things I want to do but can't manage to do.

Weekends I tend to do mostly nothing potter around the house doing odd jobs feeling rubbish for not having anything better to do or not being able to do the things I want to do. And slowly the best years of my life disappear into nothing grrrrr

I work 40hrs a week, the rest of my time I obsess about my kite surfing hobby/sport. I'm hopelessly addicted to the power kiting hobby but know I won't be able to do it when I get "old" so I get in as much time as I can while I'm able. Wife is ok about this, but thinks I'm a little on the obsessive side. I say it's better than doing drugs or alcohol.

I'm really impressed that so many of you work so much! 50+ hours a week is crazy. 25 hours is an exhausting week for me.

50+ sounds like a lot to me, too, but I can see how the activity would be therapeutic. A social job like mine prevents me from isolating myself.

I'm a stay at home mom so I just sit around the house watching my kids and playing on the internet. When they are at school, I volunteer at the school doing different stuff or go shopping.

I used to spend most of my time on an internet forum about anthropology/ genetics but I recently quit it and I miss it, but I'm better off without it (husband felt it was unhealthy for me).

I read the internet for hours a day. I have a part-time job but that doesn't take up much time. I don't want to be so hooked on the 'net - I'm obsessed with filling my brain up with as much info as possible but it isn't productive.

I work out about an hour a day also. I sleep alot.

Sucks. I applied for another part-time job and hopefully I will hear back from them soon. I want more work.

I'm really impressed that so many of you work so much! 50+ hours a week is crazy. 25 hours is an exhausting week for me.

I'd work every day given the opportunity to do so. I often do. I get self value out of work- something I don't always get from my personal life. It is exhausting on some levels- but working distracts me from my depression.

I don't like being alone with my thoughts.

If I have a day off, I get restless. That's the anxiety part of my depression.

Hmm Seems I'm the only one who works stupid hours and dislikes it greatly? I sometimes enjoy it and have a mint day feeling like I did well then probably 80-90% of the time I feel like I just churn mud all day long and put in crazy effort for what is effectively nothing. Then some douche higher up will come say a snarky comment like "good to see you actually working" and I'm all *** did you actually just say that to my face. hate love relationship. I feel I could walk out anyday and have the funds to support myself for a fair while if I needed to. But if I didn't work then what would I do all day... Probably just nothing.. think to much about stuff that makes me.... ya know. Sometimes I wonder if I actually hate the job or if I just hate everything in general and it wouldn't matter if I did the most amazing job in the world I'd still be unhappy and find something to complain about ect ect.Crazy.

Do you guys ever think about changing to something new? I'd really like to find something a bit more "stimulating" something that I could actually care about