Started Stripping (Exotic Dancer) - How Else To Support Myself?

Miss_Morose

I went to university for 4 years, got my bachelor degree and worked in my profession for about 6 years. As my depression grew worse, I would wake up at 6:30am and cry and wish everyday that I could quit my job. My anxiety at work was so bad I wanted to walk out countless times. Thank god for private bathrooms because I would take frequent breaks and go to the bathroom to cry and pull myself together. I don't want to rant too much about this but how do people pay their bills and support themselves with depression? I've started stripping in the past few months (I don't do any extras!) because it's the only way I can make enough money in a few hours of work to pay the minimums to support myself. I don't feel bad about stripping, I'm very comfortable in my own skin. But this is just a temporary fix. I already have a 2 year gap in my professional resume and the longer that gap is, the worse it's going to be to get a job in the future. There's no way I could hold down a full-time job and I've also been "let go" from my last couple jobs because my mental problems affected my work and my absenteeism and promptness. But recently I've been having more and more nights where I skip work and I'm really short on money. On top of that, I ALWAYS lose interest in any job after a month or two. I can't be doing this forever but I read so many posts about people staying in bed all day, which I'm totally familiar with as stripping allows me to do that. I can't live with my parents as they live quite a distance away so that is not an option. But otherwise, how do they support themselves?

What field did you work in before, Miss?

I think there are quite a lot of people here who are currently living off unemployment benefits due to depression, while a lot of others are in the same situation as you (just struggling to get by) or live at home with their parents. I live with my parents, but I also work part-time and go to uni. If I didn't have a free place to live though I'd be in strife.

I don't know what country you're in, but here in Australia, stripping pays very well. I know one girl who lives very comfortably off her salary and still has money to buy whatever she wants after she's taken care of the necessities. I don't think there's any shame in stripping to be honest. Like you said, it's not like you're doing any extras. I went to uni with another girl last year who probably wouldn't have been able to support herself while studying if she didn't work as a stripper. She's since moved cities and is studying post-graduate Medicine at the best university in the country.

How are you currently treating your depression and anxiety? You said this is only a temporary fix, but seeing as this job pays well and isn't affected too badly by your depression (you say it allows you to stay in bed all day), do you think you could use the time away from regular employment to get yourself professional help? It would be wise to take this opportunity to try and overcome your depression/anxiety with therapy and/or medication, so that when you go back to your regular line of work, you won't be held back by all your symptoms.

Sorry to hear You are going thru such a bad time,

I would think stripping would effect your self-esteem, which would effect your depression. Sounds like bad leading to worse for Your Depression , and anxiety to me.

I have been on disability for 19 years now, though I don't have as much money as before I am able to survive happily, on the money I receive.

Staying in bed all day never does Help Depression. Its all about forcing Yourself to get up and get out of the house each day to do something. Even just to go for a walk, shopping, hiking, etc.

Hope this Helps

If you can feel comforting stripping I don't see a problem with it. I would think you would have to keep working at finding what your long term plans and goals would be.

I met a lady that has five sites that she need's writer's for. They offer very good support and help you. I myself would do it but I suck at writing. This for the US only so it wouldn't be an option for anyone outside the US. Here's the link if anyone else would like to look into it. http://www.lmeguides.com/careers/

Do not feel sorry, do not feel ashamed. With the economy worldwide as bad as it is, people are happy just to have a job. Handle your business, make your money. Take care of yourself. Keep your eye on your future goals. I have met people who have masters degrees and they cannot even get a job as a babysitter. Others have given up looking for work, stay at home with parents and play video games all day.

So many people believe simply having a degree guarantees security a good life and it actually guarantees nothing, especially if you lack any work experience.

You have responsibilities. You go right ahead, do your thing. If people look down on you - have nothing to do with them. You have bills to pay. Handle your business.

Hi Miss_Morose,

I understood that you said you can't live with your parents because they are too far away. However, why not temporary move away from the city and move back to your folks, assuming you have a good relationship with your parents?

Exotic dancing will take a toll on you mentally because I'm sure clients will be starting to ask for extras. When you are strapped for money, you might make the wrong decision to take it and regret it subsequently.

I don't judge your job because people have the rights to do anything. However, exotic dancing is not a good way to go if you do it just because you need money to support yourself while you are down.

Do you get help at all? There may be resources there that you can use. Also, look into things like career centers or a bureau of vocational rehabilitation. I work with the BVR in my state and they have a lot of things they can help you with. Also, maybe look into disability, even if it is temporary. If working is hard, then this may be something you need to look into.

I got the bachelors & landed a good job after 2 yrs out of college in the late eighties. I hit full blown nervous breakdown followed by depression after 5 years, and ever since have been struggling to support myself. I'd manage stretches of acting the dedicated employee but it took a lot out of me and I'd burn out and have to back down, using all my savings, including retitrement, until I could land another job. Been on Unemployment off and on. I'm in another "pretend to be the super dedicated employee" phase, this is my last chance (I burned all other bridges), I'm struggling mightily to be able to stand it, but I feel it's worth the hell as in 2.5 years I'll have paid off my house and can back down - after that I'll just need enough to pay taxes, utilities & food, I can work part time as an accounting clerk to do that.

Looking back I don't know how I'm still here. Hopefully as things change gradually mental health problems will become less stigmatized and one can bring them up with employers and have allowances/arrangments made to enable them to work. Back when I started working mental health was considered an embarrassing weakness, one could never admit to experiencing it and expect to get raises or promotions, and indeed the company would look for a "safe" way to get rid of them. That is changing, and I hope for all my young sufferers, it will make a difference for you.

Btw, no shame in the stripping, do what you gotta do to survive now girl. But keep thinking & trying on other options, including maybe moving back closer to family. Or with a friend or friends, maybe you can get by on part time work then.

(((Hugs)))

In answer to your question "how do people support themselves...?" I sponge off the government. I'm not happy doing this though and I'd much rather be working.

Regarding stripping as your only choice, I'm not sure this is true. If you've got the looks, and you're happy doing that kind of work then fair enough. I imagine there are countless women out there that don't have the looks and the guts to get on a stage and take their clothes off for money. Those women don't have the option you have. How do they get by?

Maybe there are temp agencies that need staff in your area of expertise. You don't say where you're from, but maybe there's also unemployment benefit you could look into, as a stop gap. And maybe there are government organizations that could help you get work, brush up on your skills and interview technique and so on.

There are always alternatives...

If you can feel comforting stripping I don't see a problem with it. I would think you would have to keep working at finding what your long term plans and goals would be.

I met a lady that has five sites that she need's writer's for. They offer very good support and help you. I myself would do it but I suck at writing. This for the US only so it wouldn't be an option for anyone outside the US. Here's the link if anyone else would like to look into it. http://www.lmeguides.com/careers/

Thank you for the link. Although I am not a great writer either unfortunately :(

Sorry to hear You are going thru such a bad time,

I would think stripping would effect your self-esteem, which would effect your depression. Sounds like bad leading to worse for Your Depression , and anxiety to me.

I have been on disability for 19 years now, though I don't have as much money as before I am able to survive happily, on the money I receive.

Staying in bed all day never does Help Depression. Its all about forcing Yourself to get up and get out of the house each day to do something. Even just to go for a walk, shopping, hiking, etc.

Hope this Helps

Well stripping definitely effects my self-esteem in a good way. But it's not a good reason to do it because I can't hold down a full-time job because of my depression. I don't know how you (or anyone) can live off disability, especially for so long. Where I live, disability is around $1200/month. I live in a TINY bachelor/studio apt and pay almost $900/month in rent. That's like living extremely under the poverty line. I very big set back for my depression has been not being able to join my friends in going out - and by that mean even leaving the house to go to a coffee shop. Before I started dancing there would be days where I had under $5/day for food or transportation, etc. And staying indoors, whether at my house of my friends' doesn't help me. I can't imagine living under the poverty line or even just about it and getting out of depression. I SINCERELY hope you are in a better financial situation than that. Thank you the feedback!

Hi Miss_Morose,

I understood that you said you can't live with your parents because they are too far away. However, why not temporary move away from the city and move back to your folks, assuming you have a good relationship with your parents?

Exotic dancing will take a toll on you mentally because I'm sure clients will be starting to ask for extras. When you are strapped for money, you might make the wrong decision to take it and regret it subsequently.

I don't judge your job because people have the rights to do anything. However, exotic dancing is not a good way to go if you do it just because you need money to support yourself while you are down.

I understand as some people have told me the same thing - about going to live with my parents. And as good of a relationship as I have with them, unfortunately they don't believe in 'depression' :( For YEARS they have been telling me to 'snap out of it' already because "it's not like I'm a sick person or something". When I was on anti-depressants they would constantly tell me how bad they are and that (again) I am not a 'sick person' and don't need to be on them. There have been times when my mom would burt in to my room and yell for me to get out of bed already. Her method of contribution is to "criticize someone until they change". Side note: this is probably the most negative habit that I have picked up from growing up with my parents and it's mostly what has led my partners to leave me, they say they can't stand to be criticized by me. And THAT'S what sets me off so much and I go into instant crying spells because I know how horrible it feels on the receiving end and yet I'm inflicting it on the person I love the most...it's really sickening. I apologize to my partner and have explained that it's a horrible habit I picked up from my parents but after saying certain words to the person you love, the damage has been done. Speaking of...tomorrow my bf or I should said ex, are having what appears to be our final "talk". He said the last time I blew up on him emotionally and said things (which I immediately regretted), it basically put the nail in the coffin and he can't even look me in the eye anymore.

I got the bachelors & landed a good job after 2 yrs out of college in the late eighties. I hit full blown nervous breakdown followed by depression after 5 years, and ever since have been struggling to support myself. I'd manage stretches of acting the dedicated employee but it took a lot out of me and I'd burn out and have to back down, using all my savings, including retitrement, until I could land another job. Been on Unemployment off and on. I'm in another "pretend to be the super dedicated employee" phase, this is my last chance (I burned all other bridges), I'm struggling mightily to be able to stand it, but I feel it's worth the hell as in 2.5 years I'll have paid off my house and can back down - after that I'll just need enough to pay taxes, utilities & food, I can work part time as an accounting clerk to do that.

Looking back I don't know how I'm still here. Hopefully as things change gradually mental health problems will become less stigmatized and one can bring them up with employers and have allowances/arrangments made to enable them to work. Back when I started working mental health was considered an embarrassing weakness, one could never admit to experiencing it and expect to get raises or promotions, and indeed the company would look for a "safe" way to get rid of them. That is changing, and I hope for all my young sufferers, it will make a difference for you.

Btw, no shame in the stripping, do what you gotta do to survive now girl. But keep thinking & trying on other options, including maybe moving back closer to family. Or with a friend or friends, maybe you can get by on part time work then.

(((Hugs)))

That's great that you are employed and putting in the effort!! Keep it up as long as you can without it taking over your life emotionally. I totally sympathize as I have 'been there done that'. I have also burned many bridges in my profession (it's not a big industry and most people know people in all other companies within the industry) and therefore have been scared to try at it again, don't want to screw up another bridge. I have also gotten myself into BIG trouble with creditors. Right now I changed my address and phone # because they were calling me off the hook. I've been putting off applying for bankruptcy as I seemed to have false hope that somehow I will pay off these tens of thousands of dollars I owe. And no, my family cannot know about this. They are in no position to help and it would give them a heart attack to know this. And although stripping is rumoured for "great money", it's actually not that great. Some nights I walk out with a few hundred where as others I have walked out with as little as $20 and even $0! Plus, you (the dancer) have to pay the club a fee when you show up on that night, so you can actually leave in deficit. You never know. But in the end, per hour, it's no where near as little as a 'regular' job would pay. Every night going into work is a gamble. And you have to put on a happy face because it 80% how you talk to the customer...just like any sales job.

In answer to your question "how do people support themselves...?" I sponge off the government. I'm not happy doing this though and I'd much rather be working.

Regarding stripping as your only choice, I'm not sure this is true. If you've got the looks, and you're happy doing that kind of work then fair enough. I imagine there are countless women out there that don't have the looks and the guts to get on a stage and take their clothes off for money. Those women don't have the option you have. How do they get by?

Maybe there are temp agencies that need staff in your area of expertise. You don't say where you're from, but maybe there's also unemployment benefit you could look into, as a stop gap. And maybe there are government organizations that could help you get work, brush up on your skills and interview technique and so on.

There are always alternatives...

That's exactly what I wonder too....I do have the option of stripping. But for those who don't, I can't imagine how they get by! I would sponge off the government too but the only way to get by here in doing so is to live in a boarding house. I don't mean like with roommates but a house that's a step up from a shelter basically. You get your own room, sometimes furnished. But as bad s this sounds, I would really want to **** myself if that were my circumstances - I don't mean to offend anyone by saying that.

(((Hugs)))

That's great that you are employed and putting in the effort!! Keep it up as long as you can without it taking over your life emotionally. I totally sympathize as I have 'been there done that'. I have also burned many bridges in my profession (it's not a big industry and most people know people in all other companies within the industry) and therefore have been scared to try at it again, don't want to screw up another bridge. I have also gotten myself into BIG trouble with creditors. Right now I changed my address and phone # because they were calling me off the hook. I've been putting off applying for bankruptcy as I seemed to have false hope that somehow I will pay off these tens of thousands of dollars I owe. And no, my family cannot know about this. They are in no position to help and it would give them a heart attack to know this. And although stripping is rumoured for "great money", it's actually not that great. Some nights I walk out with a few hundred where as others I have walked out with as little as $20 and even $0! Plus, you (the dancer) have to pay the club a fee when you show up on that night, so you can actually leave in deficit. You never know. But in the end, per hour, it's no where near as little as a 'regular' job would pay. Every night going into work is a gamble. And you have to put on a happy face because it 80% how you talk to the customer...just like any sales job.

Hi Miss_Morose,

I understand you said your family can't know and in no position to help you financially. Have you considered if they knew what you are going through, they will wish you've told them?

Family is family. Most parents will do whatever they could to protect their children especially daughters. You might think you are protecting your family from pain by going at it alone but your family might end up with more pain when they found out later on that you have been suffering for this long.

Do you have any siblings ?

I don't know where you live but down where I live most home payments aren't $900.00a month unless one builds a large home. I live out in the country 1 1/2 hrs to a large town. Small town living is not bad. Most people own their own home as well.

Just something for You to think about.

I'm a computer programmer:

-Computers don't care if you have a frown on your face.

-It's a highly logical and mathematical task. There is nothing to remind me I'm sad while I'm doing my job, so I often get "in the zone" and become oblivious to anything else.

-I'm good at it, it's one of the few areas of my life in which I am completely confident.

Interacting with people is about 10% of my job. I can hide my true feelings and stay professional for that much.

I guess you could find similar aspects in other jobs/fields. Low social interaction, high complexity.

But then of course, that just means I can avoid my issues. They do come back full force as soon as I'm out the door.

(((Hugs)))

Hi Miss_Morose,

I understand you said your family can't know and in no position to help you financially. Have you considered if they knew what you are going through, they will wish you've told them?

Family is family. Most parents will do whatever they could to protect their children especially daughters. You might think you are protecting your family from pain by going at it alone but your family might end up with more pain when they found out later on that you have been suffering for this long.

idontknowwhy...I see what you're saying and it's pretty good advice for the most part. The only issue is that not everyone has a supportive family willing to help them out. I certainly didn't, and I was on a self-destructive path because my sexuality was all I had to get me out of my abusive stepfather's home. Family isn't always family. Some girls start stripping or escorting because this is all they know how to do to survive. Every situation is different. There are also some parents/families that actually disown their daughters when they find out about it. Hopefully Miss_Morose has more understanding parents than that, but I think we must try to look at it from various angles.

Some members of my family know about my past as an escort and one of my cousins tried to "out" me to my mother earlier this year...I know that my mother would strongly disapprove and she is now extremely religious, so it would definitely be a problem if she knew about it.

Sometimes you do what you gotta do. Most of the dance clubs in my area are now exotic dancer bars so that says a lot about our society. If a woman can take back her power with it, or take care of her bills with it while trying to better her life more power to her! Many of those who might judge would be hypocrites and the guys who support all the clubs. It can be a double-edged sword, either empowering or taking away self-esteem. As long as it's empowering or not harmful to self-esteem, it's a way to make it through sometimes.

I just wanted to let you know something to consider while you are trying to figure out what to do. Social Security work credits expire, they are based on your age (for how many years you could have worked) and also a particular number of credits for your work history. Mine expired before I applied for disability because I had been a stay at home mom for a few years before becoming officially disabled and I had no clue they expire or I would have gotten an attorney the first time through, before they expired. There's nothing wrong with getting the benefits we've paid into if you need them. Better to have them sooner and use the breathing space to figure out your long term options.

I just wanted you to know about Social Security, because that's not something they tell us when we pay into it for years, that our work credits can expire if we are out of the workforce too long. Yet the fat cats keep getting their political and corporate handouts whether they work or not.

Best wishes.

• 2 months later...

(((Hugs)))

Hi Miss_Morose,

No, I'm an only child. Also, being a child of immigrant parents I find adds the pressure of success as they did not have the "luxuries" (as in even having a choice of a career or type of job) as I do. Their viewpoint is that now days people just create problems because they have too many choices and don't have to deal with just day to day survival.

I seriously believe that not only would it horrendously upset and stress them out to find out my ridiculous debts but they would be EVEN MORE upset and angry that I let it go for so long. As I said, they are in NO position to help me financially so telling them only has seriously negative implications.

• 3 weeks later...

(((Hugs)))

Hi Sanda!

Miss Morose: I, too, had a nervous breakdown after college. The only way I could earn any money was to strip. Did that for nine months until the AD drugs kicked in and my "nerves" settled. There's no shame in a woman doing what she has to to survive! I never did any of the "extras" although some of those around me certainly did. That was over 15 years ago. Now, I've been unemployed for seven months. Wish I could go back to stripping but the AD drugs caused me to gain a lot of weight. I'm just into the obese category now.

As for the gap in employment: I'm in that boat now, too. In one of the posts above, someone mentioned writing jobs. If you can do a little freelance writing, then you can put that on your resume and fudge a little the amount of time you wrote to fill the gap.

Sanda: we have to check out some of the strip joints to see if there are old, fat chicks like me there. I need to make money! Unemployment is making my depression much, much worse. And I hate depending on anyone, including my husband, for money. He has no problem with supporting me, but I do.

• 1 month later...

Hi Morose,

Wow I feel like I could've written this myself. I've been dancing on and off for 3 years now...I got into it because I was facing eviction and felt I had no other options. I also have parents (family) that "doesn't believe in depression" and denies it's existence. I cannot talk them. I am an only child.

I cannot advocate dancing as a long-term strategy in this situation and so, I relate to your stresses about finding ways to support yourself. I have a degree but struggled far longer in school for it than my peers. I have left several jobs because of my anxiety and depression. My work history is shoddy and generally s***ty.

I am considering disability despite what people may think. I would be too ashamed for others to know I needed assistance but I feel like I'm running out of options. I'm almost 30...... which is starting to get too old to be taking clothes off.

This thread is rather old so I hope you found a resolution. I also know of another forum that I think may be useful to you. Feel free to PM anytime.

Edited by lonelyhearts