Sign in to follow this  
LynnC

Tinnitus And Ear Pain On Lexapro

Anyone experience ear pain and increased tinnitus on lexapro? I just stated 5mg 2 days ago and these 2 side effects are bothersome. Anyone have luck in lexapro decreasing tinnitus (or did you get to the point when you didn't think about it as much anymore?).

I don't really think Lexapro can cause increased tinnitus or ear pain because it simply doesn't affect those parts of the body. However, a common side effect in the first couple of weeks of SSRIs and in withdrawal when weaning off them is "brain zaps." People experience these differently but they often seem to affect optical and aural perception. It's a temporary side-effect , and granted, in my personal experience (as someone who also has tinnitus) I found it did seemingly increase the symptoms for a short while, and perhaps for you this is more prolonged. All anecdotal, but I'd bear with it for a couple of weeks and you should find the effect goes away as you become accustomed to the Lexapro and the increased levels of serotonin :smile:

on 5mg of lexapro and have an increase it tinnitus and am moving to 10mg tomorrow...worried about it getting worse. Anyone with experience in this area?

interesting...I bumped up to 10mg today and have increased tinnitus...I don't have a choice but to continue the med though...I can't live like this in this dark hole of depression/anxiety. I'm hoping it will lesson or I'll just get used to it and learn to tune it out.

I have had ear pain, ticking in my ear canals, clicking/popping noises, and sensitivity to certain noises since starting lexapro 5mg. I also developed floaters in my eyes after 3 weeks, which caused me more anxiety. Since couldn't prove it was the lexapro, dose was increased to 10mg, and 2-3wks later I developed Tinnitus. Never had it before. It is a listed side effect, but docs didn't think it was the lexapro. I did, and decreased back to 5mg after 2 sleepless weeks with the tinnitus and worsening ear pain. It seems to be improving now that I have been back on 5mg for 3-4 days. Be your own advocate and listen to your body! It can be so hard to stick up for yourself when they are symptoms only you are experiencing AND you have known anxiety or depression. I have a hearing test scheduled for next week, and hope that this med hasn't adversely affected my hearing too. Will keep you posted. So frustrating since the 10mg did really help my anxiety, just when I was really feeling better the Tinnitus started and really stressed me. Such a difficult balance between mental health and physical side effects. Hope this helps those of you experiencing ear issues as well.

How long have you been on the lexapro? I had tinnitus before I started but it has increased upon starting the lex. I'm hoping to get to the point where I can tune it out better instead of my hyperfocused on it. My ear pain comes and goes, it's a series thing...and that only started on lexapro. I also have stuffy ears when I get anxious...another thing I'm hoping the lex will help...this symptom came out of nowhere lately. Did your tinnitus go away when dropping to 5mg? I too have insomnia...has this improved for you yet?

I was on 5mg at first for about 6 weeks before upping to 10mg 5 weeks ago. The tinnitus seems to be improving since decreasing back to 5mg 4-5 days ago. I hope it continues to improve as my body readjusts to the lower dose. I still have intermittent ear pain, and have since starting the drug. I have noticed ear stuffiness too, just this past week before I dropped back down to 5, will let you know if this abates too... See the ENT again on Weds. I know in addition to tinnitus, lexapro can cause some congestion - sinus, nasal, this could be playing a role as well though I'm on Flonase nasal spray for nasal congestion/allergic rhinitis. Lexapro is the first anti anxiety med I've ever used, so it's all I know about, but I've had a harder time on it with side effects than anyone else I know. Insomnia is still an issue for me unfortunately, but seemed worse on the 10 compared to the 5. Never had sleep issues before the anxiety came on a few months ago. Sure some of it is related to the lexapro and some anxiety. Using Ativan at night, but I'd like to get off of it. Tried Benadryl and melatonin instead with poor results, but may try again... Doc prescribed another med to try for insomnia, trazadone 25-50mg, but I'm not sure I want to introduce any more drugs at this point so I haven't used it yet.

Are you on the lex for depression and/or anxiety? I tried 5mg but was still crying a lot and knew the dose wasn't enough for me. Tried 7.5mg for a day but it's really hard to cut a 10mg pill. I didn't know lex can cause congestion...I don't feel congested but I do get stuffy ears often, especially when I'm really anxious. What other side effects are you experiencing? I have them all, I swear...insomnia/appetite loss/panic/anxiety/ear trouble/ibs. I never had sleep issues prior to my anxiety either so it's so frustrating relying on the klonopin to sleep...I'm terrified of being addicted to it after a month. I'd like to get off of it as well...I'm just not sure if OTC sleep aids can be used with the lexapro? As for the trazadone, I'm freaked out to try that only because a rare side effect is deafness...really...and I already have a slight hearing loss in both ears (I'm thinking from an antibiotic I took a few months ago which caused the tinnitus...that or my anxiety caused it).

I am on lexapro for anxiety. It comes in 5mg, so you could ask your doc for 5mg and try 1.5 tabs. When I first started the 5mg I had a lot of side effects, though I can't be sure some of them weren't from the anxiety itself: hot flashes, night sweats (still have those), insomnia, decreased appetite (though had that already with anxiety), IBS, tingling of my eyes and eyelids, electric shock like zaps, ear popping/clicking, ear pain, more recently ear stuffiness. The ear issues have continued, and worsened on 10mg, the night sweats and insomina have also continued, and the IBS waxes/wanes with my anxiety. My doc said I could try benadryl 25-50mg and melatonin 3mg/chamomile/valerian with the lexapro to try to sleep, but at this point I only tried that once without the ativan, and was up all night. Still on the ativan, have been at night for months now, want to get off of it too, but not ready at this point with the recent decrease in Lexapro. Good to know about the trazadone, ugh... side effects! As my anxiety improves, I plan to try the benadryl/melatonin combination again. For me, the tinnitus seems dependent on the lexapro dose, so lower might be better, or perhaps another drug might be better for you. The ENT gave me handout with a list of drugs associated with Tinnitus and next to Lexapro it says "frequently", so does Effexor, but Cymbalta for example says "infrequent" next to it. For what it's worth.... Odd the drug monograph says rare but this handout, the 2009 PDR guide to drug interactions, side effects, and indications for Tinnitus, says "frequently" next to Lexapro. I certainly commiserate with you and hope you can find some relief. I have also been seeing a psychologist for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for the anxiety, it is helping, but as she says the drugs make it easier (except for the damn side effects which cause even more anxiety - at least for me ;)

I did go to the doc yesterday and got an rx for 5mg pills so I will do 7.5mg for a few weeks and see how that goes. Did you have any problems dropping from 10 to 5mg? Sounds like we share many of the same side effects with the ears/anxiety/stuffiness/ibs/insomnia. My doc also rx'd me rozerem (I believe it's like a ultra high dose of melatonin) yesteday for insomnia...I didn't pickup the rx yet since I'm still waiting to see if insurance will approve it or not. I'm still using the klonopin...can't sleep without it. Have you been on the same ativan dose or tried to cut down at all? Have you had any relief from anxiety on the lexpapro? How long have you been on it now? I need to give this at least 8 weeks to see if it's effective...it sure is a long time though...my days seem so long and drawn out at this point and the depression is still very much present (although I'm not in tears I'm suffering inside). Interesting on the drug monograph...I knew all SSRI's might cause or worsen tinnitus but I also hear they rx it for tinnitus too...strange. I sleep with a noise app on the ipad and that helps at night (when I sleep). If I'm in a quiet house during the day that is when I hear it the most. I really dislike the stuffiness/popping though...it drives me nuts. I'm noticing an increase in stuffiness with anxiety too...I hope this decreases in time with the lexapro. I'm in therapy as well but it's really hard for me to use all the tools in this state I'm in...depression really sucks. I envy those people who can go on these meds without side effects...life would be so much easier right now!

Glad you got the 5mg and can try 7.5mg for a while. I am on day 6 of dropping from 10mg to 5mg and it's not too bad. In the afternoons I have mild virus-like symptoms - mild headache, aches esp my neck, and feel like I have a virus coming on, but Tylenol seems to help until I take my 5mg dose around 10pm at bedtime. Started out on Ativan 1mg at night initally in August (when panic attacks and anxiety started), then 1/2 mg morning and night when my anxiety was at its worst, now 1/2 mg at night. Lowered to 1/4mg for a few nights before the tinnitus started, now I'm back up to 1/2 mg since I am having such trouble sleeping. Sounds machine has helped me at night too, and I avoid silence during the day as well, playing music most of the day when my kids aren't making their own noise. Lexapro did help with the anxiety, 5mg helped (after day 16) until the eye floaters started, then upped to 10mg and that helped after a week or so until the tinnitus started at week 3 - then I was more anxious about taking the 10mg because of the tinnitus!! That said, on the lexapro I was having much fewer adrenaline rushes than before the lexapro. When I honestly reflect back to how terrible I felt before the lexapro, I realize it has helped a lot, despite the side effects. Ugh, I agree, life would be much easier without all of the side effects. So many people seem to take it with very few problems, unfortunately that is neither you nor I it seems. Hoping I can manage on 5mg, may stop it altogether if the tinnitus doesn't continue to improve. Doc wants me to give it 2 weeks on 5mg. I know what you mean about the therapy tools, hard for them to be really effective when brain chemicals are out of wack. Hearing test tomorrow and see the ENT again, wish me luck, quite stressed about my ears these days. Hang in there - thinking of you!

Yeah I have the same virus type symptoms for the last few days...mainly nausea from dropping from 10 to 7.5mg...but I also tried to drop my klonopin dose too to .25mg at night to half of my dose...which results in me not sleeping a wink so that will have to go back up. I so hope that I don't need to take klonopin forever...I'd love for my sleeping to regulate again. I do have to keep some background noise on during the day until the kids get home or the tinnitus will drive me out of my mind...just because I'm focusing on it too much. It doesn't bother me much when I'm out and about...but being out and about these days is making me very anxious and panicy which I never experienced before. I'm hoping as the lexapro kicks in that anxiousness will start to go away. Good to hear that the lexapro has helped you a bit. Keep me posted on your hearing test. I had one and had a slight hearing loss in both ears (but that was before the lexapro)...either anxiety or an antibiotic prob caused my tinniuts...but who knows on the hearing part...for all I know I could of always had that and never realized it since I don't ever recall having a hearing test before.

Try not to rush yourself off the klonipin. I was the same way at first with the Ativan, but relatively speaking it's a low dose and we NEED to get some sleep!! Once you are feeling better, then you can try to wean off of it. That's my plan anyway. I have a friend with severe depression who has been on much higher doses of ativan for over 6 months. As I see it, we need to feel better, and use what works until we do. Also, in terms of the trazodone or other sleep aids, I am hesitant to introduce any new drugs during this lexapro transition, for fear of additional side effects and thus more anxiety. Thus I'm sticking with the ativan.

Your new anxiety when you're out and about, I had that too for a while. Didnt even know why I was anxious at times!! Anxiety and lack of sleep, breed more fear and anxiety. That will pass as you are more comfortable with your med doses, and hopefully have fewer side effects. It is so hard, especially with kids, but we are not alone!

I did take the 1/2 klonopin last night and did sleep better...I know sleep is so important, but man do I want to sleep naturally again or be able to take a nap once in a while...that just seems like it'll never happen again for me. Is your friend with severe depression doing better after 6 months? I feel a little better on the lexapro for my depression, but it's a slow process. I think I would just like to wake up and be back to the old me...I lack patience and being easy on myself. How did your hearing test go yesterday? Any other news from the ENT? Enjoy your thanksgiving...the thought of xmas decorating this year is a dreadful task. How long before you started to feel like your anxiety was lessoning on the lexapro?

Hearing test was fine, thankfully. Ears look normal. Plan is to see how I do on the lower dose of lexapro, I'll have to decide pros/cons of going off of it if tinnitus doesn't resolve. As my regular doc said, the whole drug class can cause it, so switching drugs may or may not be helpful, and I'm not keen to start over. I know what you mean about wanting to wake up and feel like your old self, and lacking patience with recovery. Over time I've realized it's a marathon not a sprint, and I can only take it one day at a time. I felt some anxiety relief after 2-4 weeks on the lexapro, but it has been cumulative, stumbling blocks along the way, ups and downs, but overall a trend towards feeling more like myself ( not there yet! ). I too need to continually remind myself it will take time. For me the anxiety Started in August like a train wreck, seemingly out of the blue.... My friend with depression is doing very well now, thankfully. Only on 2 meds now, she was on 8. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Hey glad to hear the hearing test was normal. I wouldn't want to switch drugs either to see if the tinnitus would lesson. There are days when it seems worse than other days...do you get this as well? It's been a month for me now on lexapro and I'm feeling a little better..baby steps. When I starting thinking about the ear ringing, I'm finding it's getting me more anxious lately too. The anxiety started for me in August as well...but it all started with health anxiety and it snowballed from there. So are there any other things you are doing to cope with the tinnitus? Sometimes I feel like the sound...as wierd as it sounds...is coming from the back of my head in the bottom. I don't know how to describe it but a high constant pitch. Just comparing notes here. Are you dealing with this better now that you've been on the lexapro for a while? My thanksgiving was nice...kept it simple this year.

Wow, this all started with health anxiety for me as well in August, and snowballed. For me the lexapro 10mg seemed to start the tinnitus, so I am actually feeling better on the 5mg dose. My ear pain is less, less popping, and the tinnitus is less intense. It started at night, when it was really quiet I could hear it, high pitched and constant. Then I started to have 2-3 times per day very loud ringing in one or the other ear for 30secs or so. Since I've decreased to 5mg dose that louder daytime ringing has only happened a few times. Now it is worst at night when I am lying on my side, which is how I like to sleep. I am now more sensitive to high pitched noises of any kind ... The whir of electronics for example. A bit paranoid I think, or maybe the serotonin is really causing hyperacusis, hard to know. I am a bit less anxious about it now that it seems to be getting a bit better ( as opposed to worse which was really stressing me out!). Alcohol, stress, and caffeine make it worse according to my doc's handout, so I'm avoiding caffeine and alcohol, trying to reduce stress, but hey that's the root of the problem right? Trying to tell myself it's ok, I can manage this, but it is hard not to focus on it a lot of the time. Another week and I may reduce to lexapro 2.5mg to see if it gets any better..... Also, slept better the last few nights, Ativan assisted, which has helped my anxiety. Insomnia sucks, and makes everything worse.

Sounds like we have similar stories...minus the depression for you (lucky you!). Today has been rough for me. Took my girls to see a movie and needed to wear ear plugs (good thing I brought some). It's was really loud...but I as well have the hyperacusis...the smoothie maker and juicer sends me through the roof...even the clanking of dishes at times. I feel like now that's it's been 6 days since I reduced, the ear ringing has become worse today for some reason...I'm hoping that I'm getting used to the new dose and it will decrease a bit. There are days when I'm not obsessing about it and then there are days like today that I feel like I am...which makes me more anxious. I too have cut out alcohol and caffeine...stress, working on that one. I know there are noise masking hearing aids out there as a last resort...if this never goes away in time..but hopefully I can learn to live with it. I can't cut the lexapro yet, I definitely need it for the depression but this tinnitus is an unwelcome side effect. I had hopes that it might go away when I started but I guess that's not going to happen. I'm confused why they rx them for tinnitus? Maybe it just helps people cope? I can't remember if you told me or not but how many weeks total are you on the lexparo now? Headache coming on too...not a great day unfortunately :(

i also read they have a sleep pillow out there which has some sort of noise maker inside to help you sleep...just thought I'd pass that on. I've probably researched way too much on tinnitus lately!

Wow, yes, very similar! I went to the hunger games last weekend and had to find a manager to get ear plugs!! It was painfully loud! I have been on lexapro 5 mg for 6 weeks, then 10mg for 5 wks, now back on 5mg for one week. I imagine it takes 2-4 wks anytime the dose is adjusted for serotonin to increase or decrease. Still feeling viral in the evenings, sore throat, achy head and neck, I imagine when this subsides then the dose is steady state again. Interesting about the pillow, may look into that. I'm trying not to read too much as it worsens my anxiety. TRYING to have faith that it will improve or I will learn to cope with it as I have the eye floaters.