Quote From What You Are Reading

Hertz

The written word is an attempt at completeness when there is no one impatiently awaiting you in a dimly lit bedroom-awaiting your tales of the day,as the healing hands of someone who knew turn to you and touch you and you lose yourself so completely in another that you are momentarily delivered from yourself.Whispering across the pillow comes a kind voice that might tell you how to get out of certain difficulties,from someone who might mercifully detach you from your complications.when there is no matching of lives,and we live on a strict diet of the self the most intimate bond can be with the words that we write:

Autobiography~Morrissey

Edited by Lady Mozzer

I kept standing... looking down at the game and freezing my ass off. Only, I wasn't watching the game too much. What I was really hanging around for was some kind of a good-by. I mean, I've left schools and places I didn't even know I was leaving them. I hate that. I don't care if it's a sad good-by or a bad good-by, but when I leave a place I like to know I'm leaving it. If you don't, you feel even worse.

The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger

"So there," said Joan. "You can't buy love."

"Oh, for the right price..."

"There is no price...love is..."

He held up his royal hand. "Please! I know what love is. I also know what money is."

- Jack Engelhard, Indecent Proposal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"How can you be happy in this world? You have a hole in your heart. You have a gateway inside you to lands beyond the world you know. They will call you, as you grow. There can never be a time when you forget them, when you are not, in your heart, questing after something you cannot have, something you cannot even properly imagine, the lack of which will spoil your sleep and your day and your life, until you close your eyes for the final time, until your loved ones give you poison and sell you to anatomy, and even then you will die with a hole inside you, and you will wail and curse at a life ill-lived. But you won't grow. You can come out, and we will end it, cleanly, or you can die in there, of hunger and of fear. And when you are dead your circle will mean nothing, and we will tear out your heart and take your soul for a keepsake."

"P'raps it will be like that," I said, to the darkness and the shadows, "and p'raps it won't. And p'raps if it is, it would have been like that anyway. I don't care. I'm still going to wait here for Lettie Hempstock, and she's going to come back to me. And if I die here, then I still die waiting for her, and that's a better way to go than you and all you stupid horrible things tearing me to bits because I've got something inside me that I don't even want!"

- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Mrs.Beth Utemeyer was the only dead person my sister and I ever saw.She moved in with herson to our development when I was six and Lindsay was five.

My mother said she had lost part of her brain and that sometimes she left her son`s house and didn`t know where she was.She would often end up in our front yard ,standing under the dogwood tree and looking out at the stree as if waiting for a bus.My mother would sit her down in the kitchen and make teas for the two of them, and after she calmed her she would call her son`s house to tell him where she was.Sometimes no one was home and Mrs. Utemeyer would sit at out kitchen table and stare at the centerpiece for hours.She would be there when we came home from school.Sitting.Often she called Lindsay "Natalie"and reached out to touch her hair.

I wasn`t very surprised when I first saw Mrs. Bethel Utemeyer in my heaven,nor was I shocked when Holly and I found her walking hand and hand with a small blond girl she introduced as her daughter,Natalie.

The Lovely Bones ~Alice Sebold

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I am cheating, this is from a movie but I have always like it...

John: I am ruined, why can't you see that?

Liev: Because I choose to see what you were intended to be, not what you've become.

From the movie Ink.

"Crying for help among the helpless is like trying to get sober in a bar...to get better, you need to connect with someone who has gotten through it. To believe that you can survive, you need to see that someone else has done it." - The Buddha and the Borderline

Outside, I take note of various Tex-Mex restaurants, the post-apocalyptic mood, my pseudoreality, then head back to the Four Seasons, where all I really want to do is take my shirt off.

- Glamorama, Bret Easton Ellis

• 4 months later...

So be the aggressive victim, the big loser. A professional failure. People will jump through hoops if you make them feel like a god. It's the martyrdom of Saint Me. - Choke, Chuck Palahniuk

• 1 month later...

A man should learn to detect and watch that gleam of light which flashes across his mind from within more than the luster of the firmament of bards and sages. Yet he dismisses without notice his thoughts, because it is his. In every work of genius we recognize our own rejected thoughts: they come back to us with a certain alienated majesty. Great works of art have no more affecting lesson for us than this. They teach us to abide by our spontaneous impression with good-humored inflexibility then most when the whoole cry of voices is on the other side. Else, tomorrow a stranger will say with masterly good sense precisely what we have thought and felt all the time, and we shall be forced to take with shame our own opinion from another.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson - Self-Reliance.

• 4 months later...

"My mother was always looking to home influences as the best means of keeping her two boys in the right path. She used to say that the first step in this direction was to make home pleasant"

- Andrew Carnagie, Autobiography

Early in 1942 the Allies restricted wheat deliveries to Ireland. In return the Irish threatened to withold the export of Guinness alcohol.

To the great annoyance of David Grey the American ambassador to Ireland, Ireland recieved 30,000 tonnes of wheat. Gray complained

of a waste of a "a vital necessity for what Americans regards as at best a luxury and at worst a poison"