Involuntary Tongue Movement Caused By Depression Meds

graycoyote

I am having involuntary tongue movement due to the long tem use of Meds for Depression. Is there any one else with that? It may be tardive syndrom or dysckia. I'll know more when I see a Neurologist, My Pdoc is sending me to one. Just wanted to see if there are others with that symptom?

I have not, and I'm sorry to hear they're emerging for you. I wanted to post because I just finished a long article concerning extrapyramidal symptoms and long-term serotonergic use only fifteen minutes ago. I had cholinergic spasms while trying venlafaxine - I don't think it was comparable, but it got me interested to learn more. My impression was that the diagnostic was stepping down on or eliminating the potentially causative medication and watching for a remission of the symptoms - which seemed to vary greatly in individual case studies.

I hope it gets better. It sounds like it can potentially be alarming and a significant source of anxiety.

Thanks Saros

I can't wait to see what the neurologists say. It started about 6 months ago according to friends who did not mention it too me until I found out 2 months ago from my wife.

The Pdoc reduced Abilify to 2.5 mg to see if that would help. Then no Abilify with still no help. It has gotten worse. I can tell it now, when it happens, which seems to be every waking hour.

Is Abilify the only medication you're taking that can cause this? Tardive dyskenesia is not too uncommon with meds in the antipsychotic family, so it can happen when one of those gets added to help with existing antidepressant...

I have had clients who have had this happen with different meds. The psychiatrist usually tried decreasing the dosage and/or adding something like Cogentin or Artane for the involuntary movements. Adding a medication for the side effect is usually done if the medication is deemed to be more helpful than harmful. However, I did have one client whose tongue flicked outside of her mouth and this was obviously very embarrassing and she stopped the med altogether although it was doing wonders for her psychiatric symptoms.

Any other recent med changes? I had a client who began having facial movements when he was tapered off Wellbutrin, and he wasn't on anything in the antipsychotic class. It lasted for about a month after he completely stopped it, then went away.

Thanks LightofDawn;

I take a MAOI (Marplan) and Klonopin for Atypical Depression. I take Xanax as needed and Trazodone for sleep. I have been on these for around 9 years.

Do You think any of these can be causing it??.

What is bad is that I have Chronic Solvent Encephalopathy mix all that together and I don't know what could be the cause.

Thankfully I have a great Pdoc, now I need a great Neurologist.

I have a very similar problem. For me, it was caused by taking a combination of Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) and Maxolon (metoclopramide). I only took these two meds for about five days before I had the side effect. It felt like my tongue was being pulled back and that it was too large for my mouth. For a few weeks, it was pretty relentless. I could feel my tongue almost all the time and it was always distracting me. It drove me crazy.

I think all the meds you are taking have been found to cause movement disorders. That includes Trazodone and Xanax. At the very least, they are probably contributing to the severity of this side effect. I had to quit all my antidepressant meds because they all aggravated the condition. Cogentin (benzatropine) failed to give me any relief. I later tried Baclofen and Neurontin but to no avail. My neurologist diagnosed me with Tardive Dystonia. Your problem sounds more like Tardive Dyskinesia. I don't have noticeable involuntary movements. Just a stiffening of the muscles and relentless discomfort. It has been eight months since I first had the reaction, and although things have improved greatly, the condition still affects me every now and then. I was off all medication for about three months to give things time to settle down. I'm now on 30mg of Mirtazapine as my only antidepressant med. I am going to try and go up to 45mg in a few weeks because 30mg just isn't cutting it, but I'm worried that increasing the dose will worsen the problem with my tongue, as it has done in the past.

I think the only medication that gave me any relief from this condition was Tetrabenazine. Clinical trials have demonstrated its effectiveness in relieving symptoms of Tardive Dystonia and Tardive Dyskinesia. You should ask your doctor about it. I had it prescribed to me by a GP. While Tetrabenazine did seem to help, it didn't totally cure me and it gave me pretty relentless diarrhoea and an upset stomach, which is why I stopped taking it. From my experience, I think Tetrabenazine would be your best option. My neurologist told me that the medical community has little understanding of why this condition develops in some people, how it works and how best to treat it. Treatment tends to be individual specific and effective relief is usually obtained through trial and error.

Edited by Saliency

I saw a colleague at work develop TD. He would sit in a long meeting and twitch, force a few huge smiles with teeth blazing, then lick his lips and rapidly blink. He was on anti psychotics for years. Other colleagues used to mock him behind his back. Seeing that, and taking an anti psychotic myself, has made me very aware of developing TD. Every time I roll my tongue during the ordinary course of the day, I wonder, "Is this the onset of TD?

If I got TD, I would move from an introvert to a complete recluse as there is now way I can live without my medicine which keeps me sane.

So, Grey Coyote, I would get it checked out ASAP.

Thanks so very much for sharing with me-us, Saliency and Darrith.!!

I will be more informed when I see the Neurologist.

It seems to worsen as the day progresses, by night I am fully aware of it , Yet can't make it stop, until I fall asleep.

I think your pdoc is right in investigating the Abilify first. Some of the other ones you're taking (Trazodone and Xanax) can cause tardive dyskinesia, but it's not as likely. But maybe Saliency is right in that they could contribute to it at the very least. Maybe neurologist can shed some more light on it.

This site has a pretty good list of medications that can cause symptoms of TD:

http://www.brainandspinalcord.org/legal/tardive-dyskinesia/medications.html

• 2 weeks later...

I was Home Manager of a group home for people with Developmental Disabilities and one of my clients had Tardive Dyskinesia as a side effect of being on Haldol long term. He was behaviorially involved, and really did need to be on the medication, but the side effects from being on it were horrible. His tongue was constantly poking out of his mouth, he had facial grimaces, repeatedly ran his hand over his head, blinking his eyes, etc.

It left me with a fear of psychotropics and there is no way I'd go on them voluntarily. Several years before that I was on Thioridazine and a guy I knew told me I had the Thorazine Shuffle, where your legs are kind of stiff and you shuffle more than walk, but I couldn't tell it. I stopped taking the drug though, and finally worked through the problems I was dealing with that got me on it in the first place.

I'm on a low dose of Klonopin now, .5mg BID, but I don't get any side effects from it. It's a blessing really, it helps with my anxiety and I'm getting a good nights sleep for the first time in years.

If the drugs are helping you, and give you a better quality of life, then that's probably a good thing and a personal decision you have to make.

Edited by Bizarro

Can you take a benzo other than Xanax, graycoyote? Xanax is the only benzo I've ever seen listed as being a cause of TD/involuntary movements. That's not so say others don't have the potential to cause it, but I've never seen them officially listed. Diazepam and Clonazepam are often used to help relieve TD and related problems. Maybe you should switch to Klonopin?

You might be right Saliency Thanks.

I'll ask the Neurologist when I see Him next week. I believe He's mainly checking for any physical signs going on in the Brain with the MRI. He and the Pdoc will have to work on me, to find the reason and cure.

I have been on antidepressants and antipsychotics for several years.

I have mild tardive dyskinesia, for me it is in my left arm which wants to lift up on its own. I have to make an effort to not make it happen. I have already had a couple instances of Long QT- Torsades des Pointes- "twisting of the axis" a condition when the electrical polarity of the heart reverses, causing polymorphic ventricular tachycardia- my heart siezes up. It was my fault, I drank alcohol and that triggered it. Each time it happened it only lasted for about 5 minutes or so, and I knew exactly what it was when it happened. The pain in my heart would last for days afterward. Heart problems do not exist in my family, but because of what I am on my risk from dying from a heart attack has doubled. My condition is monitored by professionals.

My condition is permanent. It is not reversable. What is done is done, it had to be done to save me from myself.

This may seem a bit rough, but it is the lesser of two evils...Without meds I would have completely fell into an abyss of a violent mental instability and one way or another- I would not be alive to type this.

too add to all of this I have inner ear damage- it is unrepairable and permanent- I will hear a constant ringing in both ears for the rest of my life until the very day I die. I have a knee issues- pattela femoral syndrome- that feels like someone stuck a screwdriver underneath both kneecaps. I have to deal with that also until I die. Effective pain killers are available, but because of the meds I am already on I can not take any of them- those very painkillers would also damage my liver with long term use. Physicians do not want to put me on any more medications-period. Physical therapy helps but does not cure it.

So put everything together and what does that add up to? Madness.

What are the benefits? I am alive and dealing with it all. For me there is no other choice.

I apologize if I went a little over board, talking a bit too much. I just had to put it in a larger perspective. My mental issues and long term meds are just part of my bigger picture.

So do not feel sad, worried or alone in your problem. Trust me, you are not alone.

Edited by svendorrian

I do Thank God that my Pdoc found the right combo of drugs that work for me. I am Soo Very Thankful I am not crying any more. I am very glad I am out of the Hell called Depression, most of the time. I no longer have daily negative and ****** thoughts.

In perspective---involuntary tongue movement is a very small price to pay.

Thanks Svendorrian