Sign in to follow this  
bettybooper

Thinking About Death - Reducing Meds

Is it natural, does everyone do it? If so how often? Or is just part of the depression?

I don't mean suicidal thoughts, just my death in general. How I die, when I die, how will people react

I know I do it a lot, but at the moment its about half or my free time.

I have been stable for about 10 months now on 20 mg of citalopram, reduced to 10mg one day 20 mg the following day to see how I go on, this was started month ago. Not sure if the thoughts are a sign I need to stay on 20mg, coincidence or just natural.

Also having a bit of a confidence crisis at work, felt like crying a lot this week as well.

I have never styed on the meds long enough for them to work properly in the past so not sure what happens when you start to come of them. Am I to just accept I need to stay on them forever, or a I just panicking that I need them?

Are you doing this with a doctor? The safest thing to do is to monitor med changes with them. I know when I first took cymbalta I got better, plateaued out, and then crashed over the course of a few months. Meds can change how they work just like your body changes on you so its hard to say if coming off of them is what is doing it.

Think about death is completely natural (unless you are thinking about your own death or hurting others). Dwelling on it and worrying about is not (not saying you are doing that).

I agree with the others that you should talk to your doctor about your med changes and the changes in your mood. Also, don't worry about how long you are on meds but rather how well you are doing on them. Some people need meds for a long long time and they live to have successful and lives full of love and happiness; theres nothing bad about that.

But I also think it is important to tell you that thinking about death is something everyone does from time to time. I remember when my gran passed months ago (this was pre depression for me), me and my cousins had lengthy conversations about death and mortality and what we wanted at our funerals and stuff...It was just natural at the time to think about that stuff. So don't think it is 'weird' or anything, everyone does it at times.

If you find yourself dwelling on morbid stuff, def. bring it up with your health care pros.

bettybooper

You better check in with your prescribing doctor before meddling with your meds. I've been on cymbalta for about 5 years now and I am on a high dose of 90 mg. I seem fine for life on the stuff. Do NOT be ashamed of depression or the need for an anti-depressant. I suggest you keep on the prescribed dose and try to carry on until you see your doctor. As far as death, I am sure everyone thinks about how they will die and when, but it's not so good to think about making it happen. Life is precious. I am watching a very young family member fight for life against deadly cancer. It's tough not to think about the possibility of death in that case, but do not cheat yourself the chance for happiness. Get help to keep on track and push those evil thoughts out of your mind. I'm sure you have a lot of happiness ahead. Make it happen!