Therapist Called The Police On Me

JupiterDolphin

Right now well not anymore I used to see a therapist at my college, I decided to drop out since I just can't continue with my depression and social anxiety. I just got so mad at her, my therapist, I told her not to call them and she did it anyways. My mother was just crying and hurrying home to come and see me. I wasn't actually going to **** myself but she just went ahead and called anyways... I will start online college next semester which is I think in January, my head and eyes hurt so bad just from crying and crying today.

Hi Jupiter ~~ Just wanted to let you know I think I know how you feel because I was violated (yes, I think it is a type of violation) in this way too. My (now ex-) employer was the one to call and have the cops come over for a "welfare check" after a disciplinary meeting where I had a full blown panic attack.

It was completely obvious they were not doing it because they cared about my welfare (as they claimed) because otherwise they would have called my emergency contacts!!! Furthermore, there was no reason for their concern because I had already TOLD them more than one during the meeting that I for sure would not be making it to work the next day and would be requesting medical leave..... AND because nobody acknowledged those statements, I followed up w/ email to them saying I was requesting FMLA medical leave and that I would try to get in to see my doctor for the note ASAP.

So it was blatantly COVERING THEIR ASS, not out of any concern. It just made me SO incredibly mad at them (and to this day, I remain extremely bitter about it, obviously!!)

And how humiliating that visit was! I am a super private and anxious person and so how ridiculous that who knows what my nosy neighbors thought of it?? And then it was like my roommate tried to tell the cop that yes, I was fine, that I was sleeping, and he insisted that he SEE me, and so I had to come out, in my pajamas and looking a complete wreck after crying and binge drinking all night because I knew I was going to end up being fired, that it was the end....just so devastating.

And having to come out like that, like some freak on display, was so humiliating; I might as well have been forced to go out there completely naked and be judged as some unfit person, b/c that is what it felt like in that moment.

To top it off, I am super afraid of cops and my city has so many instances of cops ending up ******* allegedly suicidal people during these types of "wellness checks." So I felt completely unsafe and violated and scared and angry.

So, I hear you, and I hope you will share w/ your therapist the REASON why you do not want to see her anymore. She needs to know that she violated your trust. ....... Of course, if you actually SAID you were going to or might hurt/**** yourself, and THEN tried to ask her not to call the cops, she wouldn't have a choice legally but to call them anyway (at least most places I think therapists are bound by that law; they betray confidentiality if they have reason to believe you are a danger to yourself or others), so she may not have had much of a choice...... I don't know what your exact situation was. In mine, I had made NO reference to suicide and rather, had said I would be doing medical leave..... and the next morning did not call into work and so my work chose to call the cops.

But regardless of whether your therapist was legally bound to call them or not, I have first hand knowledge of how traumatic of an experience that is, so I am sorry. :( Good luck w/ your new college plan and take care.

Hi Jupiter ~~ Just wanted to let you know I think I know how you feel because I was violated (yes, I think it is a type of violation) in this way too. My (now ex-) employer was the one to call and have the cops come over for a "welfare check" after a disciplinary meeting where I had a full blown panic attack.

It was completely obvious they were not doing it because they cared about my welfare (as they claimed) because otherwise they would have called my emergency contacts!!! Furthermore, there was no reason for their concern because I had already TOLD them more than one during the meeting that I for sure would not be making it to work the next day and would be requesting medical leave..... AND because nobody acknowledged those statements, I followed up w/ email to them saying I was requesting FMLA medical leave and that I would try to get in to see my doctor for the note ASAP.

So it was blatantly COVERING THEIR ASS, not out of any concern. It just made me SO incredibly mad at them (and to this day, I remain extremely bitter about it, obviously!!)

And how humiliating that visit was! I am a super private and anxious person and so how ridiculous that who knows what my nosy neighbors thought of it?? And then it was like my roommate tried to tell the cop that yes, I was fine, that I was sleeping, and he insisted that he SEE me, and so I had to come out, in my pajamas and looking a complete wreck after crying and binge drinking all night because I knew I was going to end up being fired, that it was the end....just so devastating.

And having to come out like that, like some freak on display, was so humiliating; I might as well have been forced to go out there completely naked and be judged as some unfit person, b/c that is what it felt like in that moment.

To top it off, I am super afraid of cops and my city has so many instances of cops ending up ******* allegedly suicidal people during these types of "wellness checks." So I felt completely unsafe and violated and scared and angry.

So, I hear you, and I hope you will share w/ your therapist the REASON why you do not want to see her anymore. She needs to know that she violated your trust. ....... Of course, if you actually SAID you were going to or might hurt/**** yourself, and THEN tried to ask her not to call the cops, she wouldn't have a choice legally but to call them anyway (at least most places I think therapists are bound by that law; they betray confidentiality if they have reason to believe you are a danger to yourself or others), so she may not have had much of a choice...... I don't know what your exact situation was. In mine, I had made NO reference to suicide and rather, had said I would be doing medical leave..... and the next morning did not call into work and so my work chose to call the cops.

But regardless of whether your therapist was legally bound to call them or not, I have first hand knowledge of how traumatic of an experience that is, so I am sorry. :( Good luck w/ your new college plan and take care.

I just told her that I was having suicidal thoughts pretty much, what was worse was that one of the police officers wanted a neighbor too stay with me till my mom came home. Turns out that she is suffering from depression as well and had her first marriage was abusive. So it is nice to know that I can talk to someone that knows what I am going through and pretty much easy access. Just the problem is, is that I just can't talk to people in person I just don't know what to say and am afraid of judgement. I am so sorry about your experience with the police, the police officers that came to my house seemed like they didn't really care or only one of them did. I just didn't want to talk to anyone.

Did she bother to ask you if you had a plan or if you felt safe or needed to go to the hospital? These are things that should be asked. Most of us have suicidal thoughts but would never act on them. Though she is obligated to make sure you are safe, I think she was a bit unprofessional if she did not ask you those questions. And I am not aware of the rules, but do they have to call the poilce? Are they able to instead call paramedics as it is a medical emergency?

Well I wouldn't blame her entirely then because of her obligation she has with her job. I know I would still be upset and not wanting to stick with her if I was in your position, but know that she has to make that choice at times. Definitely talk to her about it.

Edited by roseyssassafras

I had a anger outbreak when I saw my family doctor about 5 years ago. I didn't hurt her (female doctor) but I scared her. She wasn't listening to me. Anyway, she called the police and I was taken away in a squad car. It was an awful time but I look back and I laugh. Anyways. Thought sharing my short story may help.

I had a anger outbreak when I saw my family doctor about 5 years ago. I didn't hurt her (female doctor) but I scared her. She wasn't listening to me. Anyway, she called the police and I was taken away in a squad car. It was an awful time but I look back and I laugh. Anyways. Thought sharing my short story may help.

What got you so mad to see her? If you're comfortable sharing.

Well I wouldn't blame her entirely then because of her obligation she has with her job. I know I would still be upset and not wanting to stick with her if I was in your position, but know that she has to make that choice at times. Definitely talk to her about it.

Yeah I told my boyfriend about what happened and he said that she at least cared which was a good thing. I felt violated though so maybe if I can I will talk to her next week. Probably not since I have to be a college student to do therapy sessions.

You know what guys? I know it seems like a betrayal, but it's really not.

You want a safe place to vent, you want to be able to talk about EVERYTHING that is going on, your innermost thoughts. The predicament with a therapeutic environment is that they are mandated to report it if you mention suicidal thoughts. Most people just need to vent, and don't have real intentions, but that doesn't matter- because the therapist/counsellor/doctor can't discern that you won't follow through with 100% confidence.

I can understand why having the cops called to your home would be embarrassing- but it all comes down to being concerned about your safety. People being concerned about your safety is a good thing.

Cops aren't trained to deal with crap like this- but maybe in your case, they caused enough of a disruption in your life to keep you focused on living - even if it's because you're p***** off.

Edited by falloutgurl

At first when I read this I had never heard of anyone having the police called on them for being deemed suicidal unless that suicide might include a homicide. Then I realized that Florida actually has the Baker Act. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Mental_Health_Act You're given the chance to go to a facility without arriving in a police car, unless you refuse to go in another vehicle.

Edited by lyric

At first when I read this I had never heard of anyone having the police called on them for being deemed suicidal unless that suicide might include a homicide. Then I realized that Florida actually has the Baker Act. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Mental_Health_Act You're given the chance to go to a facility without arriving in a police car, unless you refuse to go in another vehicle.

Most therapists, counsellors, doctors, are mandated to report regardless of the jurisdiction.

Anyone here, that has seen a mental health professional should have had a screening interview that asked about suicidal thoughts. The person asking the question is assessing the answer - as they should. It's about keeping people safe- a better to be safe than sorry rule.

It's a protocol that has saved lives. It's not fun to be embarrassed by the cops showing up at your residence- but if it keeps people from harming themselves, it's a good rule to keep in place.

Yeah I told my boyfriend about what happened and he said that she at least cared which was a good thing. I felt violated though so maybe if I can I will talk to her next week. Probably not since I have to be a college student to do therapy sessions.

Even if you can no longer see her, I'm sure you can still call and leave her a message and ask her to call you back. I feel it is important for you to at least discuss this in some manner, even if only to express your thoughts over the phone. If for nothing else, it will help to feel a little less powerless over the situation.

I do have to say, while it would definitely feel violating, keep in mind that ultimately it's not just that she is mandated to report, but really it's because, when all is said and done, she is looking out for your own safety. And please don't feel judged by police officers or medical staff. They know it's their job, and they've probably seen a whole lot worse than you.

I've never had the cops called, but after a particularly hard therapy session, I did have my therapist and psychiatrist both lay out for me what would prompt them to, and why they would do so. They gave me the prevention hotline number in case I needed it, and set times for me to check in with them by phone before the next appointment, etc etc.

At the time, I was mad and thought they were overreacting, but today I think back and realize that hey, there are people out there to be my safety net, even if I don't think I need it.

Just keep it in mind.

By the way, it never hurts to repeat it, but the national suicide prevention hotline is 1-800-273-8255

I believe you have a bit of leeway. I know when I was using campus services I still had so many days that I could utilize them after my last semester. They don't usually drop people right away, but it may depend on the school.

You know what guys? I know it seems like a betrayal, but it's really not.

You want a safe place to vent, you want to be able to talk about EVERYTHING that is going on, your innermost thoughts. The predicament with a therapeutic environment is that they are mandated to report it if you mention suicidal thoughts. Most people just need to vent, and don't have real intentions, but that doesn't matter- because the therapist/counsellor/doctor can't discern that you won't follow through with 100% confidence.

I can understand why having the cops called to your home would be embarrassing- but it all comes down to being concerned about your safety. People being concerned about your safety is a good thing.

Cops aren't trained to deal with crap like this- but maybe in your case, they caused enough of a disruption in your life to keep you focused on living - even if it's because you're p***** off.

Well, see, that's the thing; it's hard to know whether it was a reasonable/required thing for this therapist to do without knowing the details of what all this therapist knew. (But regardless of whether the therapist was justified in that decision or whether a different/more humane approach was viable, the experience remains traumatic either way.) It really depends on the history of the therapist's conversations and screenings with JupiterDolphin to know whether the statement of a possible way of committing suicide was truly an immediate concern warranting this particular intervention or whether another, less traumatic/demeaning, intervention would have been more appropriate.

Roseyssassafras touches on the types of details I'm talking about. Was this a new/different statement for JupiterDolphin, or have those types of statements been made before during suicidal ideation? What is the pattern, what does this therapist know about this person? Has this person ever actually DONE self harm before, or do they just fantasize/talk about it? Were standard screening tools used periodically to detect changes in symptoms that may not be verbalized during sessions? Was calling the cops REALLY the only/best option here?? Or could he same thing been accomplished (in a more humane way) by calling Jupiter's emergency contact(s) and asking them to go check on her and let her know the outcome?? Did the therapist REALLY consider what would be the best way to handle this, or just want to "get it done" quickly and cover her ass?

....... I would LIKE to give the therapist the benefit of the doubt in using her professional judgment appropriately, but unfortunately, not all therapists are sensitive and thoughtful about this type of thing, so without all the details I can't say either way. It should seem obvious that using the cops to handle a delicate situation like this with a person in mental health crisis (that they are not trained to do) is a LAST RESORT, but not all therapists are that sensitive to consider other options, like exploring other possibilities that INVOLVE THE PATIENT IN THE DECISION. Did the therapist say "I'm worried about you, and fyi, I am obligated to report to the police if I feel that you might hurt yourself, so can we work out a plan here? Can you sign a release for me to talk to your mom and we can arrange for you not to be alone right now? Or is there someone else you would be more comfortable doing that with? Or are you interested in checking yourself in to an inpatient facility for a few days? etc etc......"

And so while I understand the predicament of the therapist, without details it is not clear whether they legitimately betrayed Jupiter's trust or not (and again, the experience is traumatic whether or not there was a legitimate betrayal by the therapist or not).

Part of the expectation of patients to be able to vent in a safe place is that the therapist takes their job seriously enough to show respect to the patient and take the upper hand as far as ensuring that "safe place." And if they do not take the time to set up safety plans, or make proper assessments, or even bother INFORMING the patient what might happen if they DO vent about suicidal thoughts, then that is disrespectful to the patient, and it is extremely damaging because they are setting the patient up to THINK that they are able to vent about these thoughts that they can't talk to anyone else about because they EXPECT this safe place.... I mean that is part of what a therapist is FOR, to be able to say these types of things that you may not say to anyone else. If they expect patients to be honest with them, they ALSO have to be honest and inform patients what their obligations are and to give the common courtesy to allow the patient to participate in developing their own safety plan. That is their JOB.

But yes, I agree it is important for you to have this conversation with the therapist and hear her side of it before writing her off without explanation. You might need a bit of cool down time before you can have this conversation w/ her, and that's ok. It's good you can talk to your boyfriend about it. When you do talk to the therapist, be sure to have your list of points you want to make so that you can make sure she gets your side of it too; she may learn something. And you may learn something.

Also agree w/ others that you probably should be exploring your options as far as getting some support now that you have lost eligibility from your student status. If your old therapist is worth anything, she should at least offer to help you w/ that, even if you choose to reject her (and for whatever reason, whether it's b/c you can't pay or whether you feel you can't trust her anymore after this (regardless of who is right or wrong in the cops situation) even if she gave you free sessions, etc). If she instead acts defensive, or like you are stupid or unjustified in sharing your FEELINGS with her (again, regardless of whether she agrees with you or feels you are judging her unfairly) or even questioning what she did, and refuses to even give you a handout w/ phone numbers to try, then sorry, she's a crappy therapist. There are plenty of them, unfortunately.