What Are You Reading?

arboria

I finished a retelling of Beauty and the Beast called Beastly which I really liked. Started another book by the same author called A Kiss In Time, which is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, but it's not grabbing me. I'm about to give up on it.

I finished Towering, which had a crazy Rapunzel meets enchanted illicit drug ring premise, and I've started Cloaked which is a retelling of The Elves and The Shoemaker. By the way, if anyone knows of another author who writes retelllings of fairy tales for adults or young adults, please let me know. I'm on a fairy tale kick, apparently.

Edited by evalynn

I just re-read a favorite ebook by a little known author, might re-visit some other old favorites.   Otherwise, I'm in between books.  Not making much progress on the nonfiction books I'm trying to read, will probably give up soon.  :sleepy:

Having a hard time concentrating on anything.  It's actually a bad sign when I'm reading 3 or 4 books at a time.  :sleepy:

• 2 weeks later...

I just read the Wikipedia article about Denisovans.

The Denisovan or Denisova hominin (pronunciation: /dᵻˈniːsəvə/ dɛ-nee-sə-və) is an extinct species or subspecies of human in the genus Homo. Pending its status as either species or subspecies it currently carries the temporary name Homo sp. Altai, and Homo sapiens ssp. Denisova.

Just finished;

Drink Deep - Chloe Neill  (A Chicagoland Vamoire Novel).

Slow, boring, but I kinda like the main character. She's a recently converted vampire, protector of the house, and investigates all the problems going on. Apparently there are much better authors with way more entertainment in their books. So I was told to try Linda K Hamilton or Jeaniene Frost.

I'm now reading;

Halfway to the Grave - Jeaniene Frost  (A Night Huntress Series).

PS: I haven't read books for entertainment purposes in longer than I can remember. Like fantasy, sci-fi, etc.  My reading has always been about technical and/or engineering things. So this is kind of fun and a break from TV and the Internet.

2 hours ago, In2deep4me said:

Just finished;

Drink Deep - Chloe Neill  (A Chicagoland Vamoire Novel).

Slow, boring, but I kinda like the main character. She's a recently converted vampire, protector of the house, and investigates all the problems going on. Apparently there are much better authors with way more entertainment in their books. So I was told to try Linda K Hamilton or Jeaniene Frost.

I'm now reading;

Halfway to the Grave - Jeaniene Frost  (A Night Huntress Series).

PS: I haven't read books for entertainment purposes in longer than I can remember. Like fantasy, sci-fi, etc.  My reading has always been about technical and/or engineering things. So this is kind of fun and a break from TV and the Internet.

You might also like the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2017 at 3:30 PM, SpiralingMind said:

You might also like the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher.

Thanks will look into it, but not just yet... Now I'm hooked on this Night Huntress Series. My gal has half the books in the series and I just got the rest on my tablet. Just finished the second book.

One Foot in the Grave - Jeaniene Frost  (A Night Huntress Series).

Pretty good so far. Quite entertaining. I won't bother with anymore Chloe Neill books. Her stuff is slow, boring, and not much chickening or sex. What's the point of a good vamp tramp novel without that I ask???  LOL...

Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance. It's an autobiography of sorts. I grew up in a hillbilly environment myself and I saw so many similarities with JD's experiences. It's a great read.

People like to make fun of "white trash" and call them stupid. Well, they ain't stupid. Sometimes ignorant maybe. But they, like anybody else, do not like to be talked down to.

11 hours ago, Nisemono said:

Stones From The River by Ursula Hegi. A story about a dwarf living in a German town during the nazi era. Wonderful book. Her discriptions of how it feels to be different and not fully accepted really touched me.

I've been trying to figure out for five years what the name of this book was that I read 10+ years ago. All I could remember is the book cover and some plot details. As soon as I read your post, I recognized the name of the author and I was able to look up her books and find the one I was looking for! The book was The Vision of Emma Blau. You just helped me solve a mystery that has been driving me nuts for years. Thanks so much!