Advertisement
  • Announcements

• Lindsay

Donate Now   11/12/2017

Give the gift that will keep on giving. Donate Now  Thank you and have a healthy, joyful and peaceful holiday season.   Lindsay Reday Forum Administrator, Founder LGJ Managing Director, Owner LioninWinters Administrative Technician 

arboria

What Are You Reading?

954 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post  

Fighting techniques of the ancient world 3000 BC - AD 500 equipment combat skills and equipment :smile:

Did you know that Hannibal's elephant was called Surus :nod:

Edited by hocico

You might also be interested in:

Posted · Report post  

I was in the middle of a book called Mirrored, but the CloudLibrary app I was using has suddenly stopped working. I tried to reinstall and there's no difference. :dontgetit:

Posted · Report post  

Recently I started reading Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella (a young adult book about a girl suffering from a severe social anxiety and how she works on overcoming her fears in a curious and funny way), but ever since I discovered DF,  I just read these forums and nothing else! 

Posted · Report post  

Reading "The Art of Loving," by Erich Fromm. Read it when I was a teenager and I remembered it had some really interesting writing about love. Not sex, as I'd hoped when I was a teen. ;)

Posted · Report post  

I zipped through Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard, and now I'm on the second book of the trilogy, Glass Sword. I'm really enjoying the series so far.

Posted · Report post  

On 4/22/2017 at 3:30 PM, SpiralingMind said:

You might also like the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher.

Thanks will look into it, but not just yet... Now I'm hooked on this Night Huntress Series. My gal has half the books in the series and I just got the rest on my tablet. Just finished the second book.

One Foot in the Grave - Jeaniene Frost  (A Night Huntress Series).

Pretty good so far. Quite entertaining. I won't bother with anymore Chloe Neill books. Her stuff is slow, boring, and not much chickening or sex. What's the point of a good vamp tramp novel without that I ask???  LOL...

Posted · Report post  

Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance. It's an autobiography of sorts. I grew up in a hillbilly environment myself and I saw so many similarities with JD's experiences. It's a great read.

People like to make fun of "white trash" and call them stupid. Well, they ain't stupid. Sometimes ignorant maybe. But they, like anybody else, do not like to be talked down to.

Posted · Report post  

Stones From The River by Ursula Hegi. A story about a dwarf living in a German town during the nazi era. Wonderful book. Her discriptions of how it feels to be different and not fully accepted really touched me.

Posted · Report post  

11 hours ago, Nisemono said:

Stones From The River by Ursula Hegi. A story about a dwarf living in a German town during the nazi era. Wonderful book. Her discriptions of how it feels to be different and not fully accepted really touched me.

I've been trying to figure out for five years what the name of this book was that I read 10+ years ago. All I could remember is the book cover and some plot details. As soon as I read your post, I recognized the name of the author and I was able to look up her books and find the one I was looking for! The book was The Vision of Emma Blau. You just helped me solve a mystery that has been driving me nuts for years. Thanks so much!

Posted · Report post  

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz.... Sherlock Holmes pastiche in the style of the original Doyle  :Coopwink:  :icon12:

Just finished the first three in the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger.  Delightfully dry and witty!  :icon12: :Coopwink::icon12:

Posted · Report post  

The People In The Trees by Hanya Yanagihara. So far so good. This is her debut novel and I've already read her second - A Little Life - which impressed me a lot. A Little Life was great. The cover featured a review which called it "devastating", which I thought was a bit over the top, until I started reading it. Not really a cheerful tale for the most part - self-loathing and self-harm feature prominently, but also the sweetest gay romance I think I've ever read. Made me wish I was gay. Maybe a bit excessive in parts but still a compelling story. Not half way through this one yet but I'm liking it and I think she could turn out to be a great American novelist. Oh look at me! the cultural critic gushing over Hanya Yanagihara. Gawd there it goes again. Try to say something interesting and intelligent and that part of my brain kicks in to remind me that I'm boring and my opinion is worthless. Thanks for that brain! Well this has gotten a bit off topic.

Posted · Report post  

I am reading the comics pages of the Sunday paper.  Having trouble following serious writing because of my mood right now. 

Posted · Report post  

I got a text from Amazon that yesterday was the last day to read The Handmaid's Tale for free. I've never read it, so I downloaded it. Only problem is my concentration has been crap l lately, so I hope I can power through it. I'm actually two books behind in my reading goal; I want to read 24 books this year, or two per month. 

Posted · Report post  

Out of Australia, a book that challenges the mainstream anthropological view that modern humans originated in Africa.

Posted · Report post  

Took a month to finish House of Leaves. There's about 30% of this book that is really intriguing - a house that seems to defy physics and holds something dark. 40% annoying "narrator" who I had very little emotional investment in. 30% like reading one of my university history essays where I was just trying to cram in as much footnotes as possible. Terrible description of the book, but it's kinda hard to describe it - you have to actually see the book.

Posted · Report post  

I'm rereading a book called Love Walked In that I loved years ago. I forgot how sad it was in some parts with an 11-year-old dealing with her mother's manic breakdown. When I finish, I'm gong to read the sequel I just discovered called Belong To Me.

Posted · Report post  

The Unbreakable Miss Lovely: How The Church of Scientology tried to destroy Paulette Cooper by Tony Ortega. God these people are d***s. I've read quite a bit about Scientology, and the lengths these people will go to to defend the deluded thoughts of a compulsive liar. The crap people will believe! And I sometimes think I might be crazy.

Posted · Report post  

On 28/06/2017 at 5:48 AM, Kogent5 said:

Took a month to finish House of Leaves. There's about 30% of this book that is really intriguing - a house that seems to defy physics and holds something dark. 40% annoying "narrator" who I had very little emotional investment in. 30% like reading one of my university history essays where I was just trying to cram in as much footnotes as possible. Terrible description of the book, but it's kinda hard to describe it - you have to actually see the book.

I remember reading that when I was young. The house that defies physics was a bit disconcerting but I rememeber it being a bit of a slog to get through. One thing that stuck in my mind was the bit where someone sticks their thumb up his arse and he discovers that he has a G-spot that he never knew existed. I was young when I read it as I said. There's a G-spot up there? What was God thinking? It was then that I became an atheist.