Donate Now Read more... ×
arboria

What Are You Reading?

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz.... Sherlock Holmes pastiche in the style of the original Doyle  :Coopwink:  :icon12:

Just finished the first three in the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger.  Delightfully dry and witty!  :icon12: :Coopwink::icon12:

I got a text from Amazon that yesterday was the last day to read The Handmaid's Tale for free. I've never read it, so I downloaded it. Only problem is my concentration has been crap l lately, so I hope I can power through it. I'm actually two books behind in my reading goal; I want to read 24 books this year, or two per month. 

Took a month to finish House of Leaves. There's about 30% of this book that is really intriguing - a house that seems to defy physics and holds something dark. 40% annoying "narrator" who I had very little emotional investment in. 30% like reading one of my university history essays where I was just trying to cram in as much footnotes as possible. Terrible description of the book, but it's kinda hard to describe it - you have to actually see the book.

I'm rereading a book called Love Walked In that I loved years ago. I forgot how sad it was in some parts with an 11-year-old dealing with her mother's manic breakdown. When I finish, I'm gong to read the sequel I just discovered called Belong To Me.

6 hours ago, Nisemono said:

I remember reading that when I was young. The house that defies physics was a bit disconcerting but I rememeber it being a bit of a slog to get through. One thing that stuck in my mind was the bit where someone sticks their thumb up his arse and he discovers that he has a G-spot that he never knew existed. I was young when I read it as I said. There's a G-spot up there? What was God thinking? It was then that I became an atheist.

LMAO yes that was one of many insights into Johnny Truant's (or was it Lude's?...can't remember) sex life that the audience becomes privy to. NYT used the word "sexy" to describe this book in their review, and this book is just...so the opposite of that. It's mostly listening to some blowhard talk about his conquests...gross and irritating.

Wish the book had focused more on the house and less on everything and everyone else.

On 6/27/2017 at 11:48 PM, Kogent5 said:

Took a month to finish House of Leaves. There's about 30% of this book that is really intriguing - a house that seems to defy physics and holds something dark. 40% annoying "narrator" who I had very little emotional investment in. 30% like reading one of my university history essays where I was just trying to cram in as much footnotes as possible. Terrible description of the book, but it's kinda hard to describe it - you have to actually see the book.

I heard that one is really good!! Would you recommend it ?

On 6/28/2017 at 7:48 AM, Kogent5 said:

I loved it. Though rhe narrator was irritating..

11 hours ago, Maryyy said:

I heard that one is really good!! Would you recommend it ?

I...I don't know haha. I really enjoyed the house part and certain portions of the narrator's story. But it's also 700 pages and the book is huge for a paperback (7" x 9 1/2"). But at least 1/3 of the pages are quick reads or don't require reading. Um...you should check it out first at the library or bookstore. Like...literally look at the book and decide whether you're willing to delve into that craziness.

6 hours ago, samadhiSheol said:

I loved it. Though rhe narrator was irritating..

It's definitely a book that's going to create really polarising opinions, which I think is better than something that's good but forgettable. Even Johnny Truant's story had interesting aspects and was worth finishing (though there were several times I was wondering why I didn't skip his part entirely). I skimmed through a lot of the more scientific parts of the story where "experts" weighed in because I wasn't sure whether that was true or made up by Zampano. I guess that's part of the book's intriguing nature, though.

I would be okay never seeing a footnote in a fiction book ever again.

On 4/13/2017 at 3:27 PM, TaliaJo said:

The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle

Did you find it helpful? I was recommended that book recently 

About 50 pages into The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and...it's really depressing lol. I knew that coming in, but people had said it was cathartic for those with depression. I feel like I'm going through a double dose of depression - hers and mine. Unsure if I will continue.