Anxiety Is Worse Than Depression.

usman36

i have suffered both depression and anxiety and my in view chronic anxiety is worse than clinical depression. Because in depression, a depressive episode will wear off in like 6 months or so no matter how painful it is. I mean we can tell that it will "lift" within 6 months and then you'll be free from depression. But with anxiety, though not as painful but it's much longer lasting and you can't say it will lift in 6 months, 3 months or a year. It's even painful when you start to worry about being worried. I grew up with anxiety and have disorder and panic for the rest of life but now i can't take it anymore and want to kick this monster called anxiety but there's no way i can get this out.. it's always with me i live with it and have LIVED it for the rest of my life. I had depression but it lifted within 6 months but the anxiety is not lifting it's always there. It's not as painful as depression but it's forever and i can't live like that... what r ur views?

Depression does not always lift after a period of time. Those of us with major depressive disorder understand this. Anxiety and Depression go hand in hand. Often one will cause the other. Finding what works to help you cope is sometimes our only hope. I hope you can find what will help you keep moving forward.

I agree, I would much rather be lathargic and sad than panicing. I have experienced both depression and anxiety so I know what both are like. It has been hard for me to find something to help me cope because I have been a pan user for the last 5 years and that was my coping mechanism. It has driven the depression a lot deeper too. It hasn't been a healthy way to deal with things, and it's made my life harder as I have a lot of guilt from using drugs to hide from the world.

I think it really depends on the person. For me, during an 'episode,' some days I have more anxiety and others more depression. Usually it a healthy mix of the two. For example, yesterday I was more anxious than depressed, today I am more depressed than anxious. When I am anxious heavy I say the depression is better, when I am depression heavy I say the anxiety is better.

They both suck and I would prefer to have neither.

PS - mkmurph....what is urn? You said you have been a urn user, not sure what that means.

For what it's worth, I wish my depression had lifted after six months. For me, it's either dysthymia, or recurrent major depressive episodes for the last 19 years. I wouldn't know if either is worse, and as LJCat said, 'apples and oranges', just wanted to interject that some folks struggle a deal longer than six months. Thankfully, I've not had any problems with anxiety that I couldn't manage.

I had an episode of major depressive disorder and it lifted within 6 months with proper treatment. I took prozac for 6 months and then weaned off it. I truly agree that nothing can be more painful than depression but anxiety, in my opinion is less painful but worse because it never lifts.. it's ALWAYS there

I'm fortunate to have never experienced any anxiety from which I couldn't talk myself down. My depression has not lifted in 18 months. From what I know about anxiety, I would rather have depression - if we were playing "would you rather" or something.

Edited by lyric

to me anxiety doesnt even come close to the shear agonizing hell of depression. In fact i dont fear anything more than depression coming back. i do have panic attacks and i had pretty bad social anxiety in the past, but i'd copnsider them very mild inoconveniences, compared to depression

Personally, I don't think that anxiety can even compare to depression. I suffer from both anxiety and depression at times, but you can smother - or, in fact, remove completely - feelings of anxiety with anger, irritation, boredom, carelessness or even stronger emotions like hatred. The depression, however, never goes away. Once the fire's died out, you're left feeling empty again. :verysad3:

luckily my depression lifted in 6 months but anxiety hasn't :@ i have very very bad anxiety and it's never lifting. I grew up with anxiety. It keeps me laying on the bed all the time, can't face anyone and can't even get out of my room so for me, anxiety is worse.

I guess for me it comes down to how my depression and anxiety (both chronic) react to treatment.

Antidepressants only help my depression a little...better than nothing I suppose.

Whereas my anti-anxiety med really has helped to diminish my anxiety quite a bit, not completely, but it helps considerably.

Full blown, soul-crushing, mind numbing depression is a horrid thing for me. I am hit with it frequently and have been since I was like 12. Yes I do have times when I'm not as depressed and almost "normal" feeling (lifting, I suppose would be the word for that).

Anxiety and panic attacks came on much later in my life...and, for me at least, although a terrible feeling to be sure, is shorter lasting.

They have both ruined my life, but when my depression reaches a peak...well it really crushes me.

I personally think severe clinical depression is much worse than anxiety, the evidence being that it is life threatening and can make you feel suicidal. Having said that, I've had both severe, long - lasting clinical depression (I wish it had been only for 6 months!) and chronic severe anxiety and now my depression has lifted only due to medication. My general anxiety is still just as bad most the time, but it is definitely not life threatening, it may feel it at times and yes it affects my life greatly, but it's the depression that can make you want to actually end your life greatly! As already mentioned, the two are closely linked and chronic anxiety often causes depression and visa versa and both can be seriously debilitating.

I also think it depends on the person. My depression doesn't go away, some days better than others of course. But when anxiety hits me for example the depression is masked.. Doesn't mean I don't have any it's just the anxiety is so strong that it overpowers it.