Does Anyone Feel Benzos Put Them In A Better Mood Or Do They Just Make You More Depressed

Xanax helped me with anxiety but like alcohol it's a depressant and high doses or long term use can definitely cause or worsen depression. so if your depression is induced by anxiety and racing thoughts it probably will help you but be careful with this drug it's NOT meant to be taken long term.

I was on it for about a year and although I knew its addictive I didn't know it CAUSES depression, as soon as I got off the drug my depression improved significantly.

Good luck

I take lorazepam (Ativan) when necessary to relieve acute anxiety triggered by unpleasant memories (a focal point of my depression). When needed, I take .5 to 1 mg, at most twice a day or so.

It really helps! I only take it as I feel the anxiety coming on, and it goes to work in about 15-20 minutes. I don't know how to describe the effect, other than it allows me to think more clearly, and not focus on whatever triggered the anxiety. It relieves that cold feeling in the pit of my stomach, and generally allows me to relax.

It also works wonders for anxiety induced insomnia, although I've come to realize that if I take it too late, I will sleep straight through my alarm clock the next morning, so if you are prescribed any, test it out on a weekend or something if you take it before bedtime.

Anyhow, lorazepam has been such a big help in aleviating my anxiety that I keep some on me at all times, as well as in my computer bag, office desk, car, etc.

As for whether or not it makes my depression worse? I can't say. However, back when my anxiety was unchecked was when I was most suicidal. So, take that for what it's worth.

I wouldn't say benzos put me in a better mood at all. In fact, I wouldn't even say they help me. I find them quite useless, in all honestly.

Ativan didn't work for me at all, and Xanax just helps take a bit of the edge of my anxiety, but nothing relieves it greatly or provides me relief. I have to partner it with 100mg of Trazodone every now and then to find some real relief. It doesn't work on it's own.

Maybe I should try Valium or Klonopin, but I don't know.

Yes they do help with anxiety! I've been on them for 4yrs and I wouldn't be okay if it wasn't for my Ativan! I could care less what is said about addicitive. I can not take any for two days and nothing happens to me...worst if coming off a AD to me! If you need it, take it!! That's what they are for, to help us! My mom has been using Ativan for 15yrs and she said if it weren't for that, she'd be not well at all.

Hi,

Ive tried both and the regular Xanax works great for me.

I tried the XR version but for some reason it didnt seem

to work as good for me. Probably my fault I may not have

taken it correctly but my regular Xanax is life-saving

when I need it.

best wishes,

starr

Lorazepam has really helped me with my newly developed anxiety...wife of 30 yrs just told me 2 weeks ago that while she loves me, she not IN love with me anymore (due to my past depression)... Thanksfully my therapist suggested it to my primary care phys, who gave me the script... It has really settled-me down, and works well with my Wellbutrin XL300. I am taking only 1/2 dose of 1 mg tabs, and it seems to do well for me - CD

I wouldn't say benzos put me in a better mood at all. In fact, I wouldn't even say they help me. I find them quite useless, in all honestly.

Ativan didn't work for me at all, and Xanax just helps take a bit of the edge of my anxiety, but nothing relieves it greatly or provides me relief. I have to partner it with 100mg of Trazodone every now and then to find some real relief. It doesn't work on it's own.

Maybe I should try Valium or Klonopin, but I don't know.

I wholeheartedly agree! I find it incredibly difficult to fathom myself taking pills randomly through the day when I suspect I am becoming very anxious.

I've used my xanax regularly for up to

Five months when I was switching

Antidepressants and was having trouble

And when I adjusted to my.new med

I was able to stop the xanax completely.

Best wishes

Starr

I'm like Starr - the regular xanax helped me more than the XR when I was going thru a very hard time.

I only take it as needed now. I never felt like I was addicted to it, either. I was also taking the same dosage as Starr as well. Now if I need it I usually take .25 or if really having a bad time .50. the .25 usually works for me.