Wellbutrin And Crazy Sex Drive

@superlilabee

It takes at least a month of dealing with side effects and then another month to see if you're feeling positive benefits. Diminished appetite and light-headedness are common, but they do pass.

Most ADs take a while to give you benefits, so...I know it's difficult...please be patient :)

And welcome to the DF :) For what it's worth, I've been on Wellbutrin (bupropion) for about 3 1/2 years now. I like it. It helps me let go of bad feelings and behaviors. It helps my brain clear a path for me to try different things, see if I can be more positive and less depressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Am new around here but felt I had to tell you about my experience  taking this drug. In the UK it is known as Zyban and is ally y prescribed  smokers to stop....I do not smoke but had dreadful side effects meds  treat ptsd and low mood. This has increased my libido beyond belief. I am almost a sex pest because I literally cannot take my mind off it!!! Almost becoming a problem if I am honest....at first it was not affecting  libido but having been on it a month now things have really started to improve. My outlook, positivity and drive have increased.....sorry if too much info but I am always 'obsessed with bedroom antics' nowadays ?? and wasn't before. So far, this drug has been good for me..

I've been on bupropion 300 xl for about a year and my sex drive is insane, too.  I'm not in a relationship, and am tired of the One Woman Show.  Well, if you count my toys -- I have a drawer full now -- it's not just me, I guess.  But still, WHO KNEW? 

I saw a difference in my sex drive in about a week (I'm female). It was pretty crazy, and orgasm was super easy. It decreased my appetite, too. Unfortunately I had to get off the med because it was also making me irritable and "aggro." Does this stuff mess with your testosterone levels or what?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be curious what the percentage is for male and female in increased libido and orgasm. It seems to me that more women getting big libido bumps and better orgasm taking Wellbutrin.

It also appears that many who say their libido increased are also on other meds that **** libido. The Wellbutrin is only added to get that back and maybe add the uplifting affect. 

I've been switched to 150mg XL as a test just taking old school meds. I'm in the 3rd week. None of the newer ones are tolerated wiithout bad side effects. So I'm taking only Wellbutrin and it is the name brand, no generic. We're looking at going to 300mg once I settle in to this.
So far it has helped in some respects but the weird thing is libido is going backwards...

My PDoc put me on Bupropion as an adjunct to Citalopram, which had definitely cooled my sex drive (well that, and a rotten marriage). After some time on B, my urges returned to "normal". Keep in mind I'm old (57) so a declining sex drive is supposedly expected. But I still "feel frisky". Thank goodness.

• 6 months later...

My pdoc just added 150 mg bupropion to my current cocktail of 25 mg citalopram and 10 mg 2x day buspar.  I was experiencing constant fatigue, non existentnt libido and emotional flat line.  I've been on the 150 mg for a week now.  I'm praying I have the same experience as others on this thread.

• 4 months later...

i know this is an older thread but i have been on wellbutrin for over 10 years, brand name, sr, xl and generics.  it once gave me crazy sex drive which i desparately need back, along with weight loss.

my question is for those who are still experiencing sex drive, what form and most important, which generic manufacturer is working for you.

i tried stopping it for a month or two and am now on bio hrt as i am beginning to go through menopause as well, getting testosterone cream but not even that is working to boost my sex drive and i've gained 20 pounds since i started the hrt and stopped the wellbutrin.

so formulation and manufacturer that works best for sex drive please!

• 2 months later...
On 8/2/2016 at 11:24 PM, Fedupwithtryingmeds said:

I am 39. And this is my second and last time taking, Welbrutrin! Years ago I was diagnosed with major depression and was put on Welbrutrin. I was a drinker at the time and took two months worth of the pills to try to **** myself.

After my 6 year old was recently diagnosed with ADHD I realized I have and have always had the same qualifiers as her. So at this late stage in my life have sought out to treat my ADHD. 

After the 3rd Doctor recommending I take wellbrutin for the ADHD I finally listened. On the second day first day I had 150 dose. The second day started the 300 dose I was ok till about two hours after taking it. 

Everything got really bright and vivid. I could not understand teacher or follow along to the lesson. I drove home feeling electrified(not in a good way). Stopped at the store, then could t find where I parked. Ran a red light.

As the day went on I felt this doom full feeling. I started getting really angry. Then suicidial. Finally at about 6 pm I threw up several times. It's now 9:30 pm and I'm starting to feel a little normal.

I was scared and will never take it again. I give up on trying. I know it's hopeless to try. 

Wellbutrin can cause your blood pressure to elevate. When your blood pressure gets too high, it will cause you to forget things and be disoriented. I would check your BP. ADHD meds can do the same thing and other side effects. I've taken both.

• 7 months later...

I've started taking Wellbutrin 150mg 2 months ago, had some side effects and no improvement, 6 weeks later the doctor increased to 300mg and finally i start seeing benefits: much more focused, energetic, working on and completing projects that never got off the ground before (taking it for depression and adult ADHD), my appetite has decreased and for the first time in my life my orgasms are amazing. I've always enjoyed sex but orgasming was difficult, now it's bliss, I don't feel a constant sexual urge that is disturbing or insane, but when i get going, i can keep doing it for hours..lol. Bliss. Life changing pill for me.

On 1/3/2017 at 6:24 AM, superlilabee said:

Hi everyone!

I am 32 years old (female), happily married for 6 years, but have absolutely no sex drive whatsoever....for over 10 years!  My doctor has prescribed 150mg XL once a day  to see if that helps. I've only been taking it three days, but I was hoping someone could give some input on how long it took  to see any difference in his/her sex drive.  This is my first time taking an AD, so I don't know what to expect.  I go back next week, but not sure how long I should give the medication a chance to work.  I don't want to tell the doctor that it isn't working if I haven't given it long enough to take effect.  

I have noticed a decrease in appetite from the first day.  I have also noticed occasional feelings of being light headed and an aloof type feeling....it is hard to describe.  I've also been feeling really lazy the last few days, but unsure if that is the meds or because it has been raining here non stop! 🙂   

I'd love to hear your input on this, common side effects and when/if they subsided, that sort of thing.  

Wellbutrin only started working for me once I increased to 300 mg. YMMV

• 1 month later...

I am a male and I took Wellbutrin when I was in my 20s and again in my early 40s. My libido went through the roof with Wellbutrin. I have a fairly active sex drive normally, but Wellbutrin took it to 11. While it removes anxiety and makes me very focused the horniness was over the top. I'm not kidding. I didn't really make the connection to the drug itself until I took it again in my 40s.

It makes me so insatiable I can barely sit still and all the time. And while that's fun and all for a while, it gets old and results in some not-so-great decisions. It made me a very different person, and things that would normally bother me didn't bother me, and I said and did a lot of regrettable things.

I actually stopped taking Wellbutrin because of sex sprees with multiple partners. Sometimes several in a day. And the worst part is that it also deadened my anxiety that I might be emotionally hurting someone.

I quit taking it cold-turkey after a particularly regrettable weekend that almost cost me some very close friends.

Wellbutrin works for lots of folks. Very much not for me, though.

Edited by BigBlueLake

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm just looking over this thread which has gone on for a long time and all i can say is that i HOPE it makes me like teenager again. My drive has been out the window for far too long. 

Cheers! 

(Downing my daily dose of wellbutrin XL) 

During the first week "honeymoon" on Wellbutrin I felt a marked increase in sex drive, interest, and arousal. Something I probably had not felt in the last 10 years (age 37/male). It was awesome for the few days that it lasted! 

Here's to hoping it returns once the medicine stabilizes!!

• 1 month later...

Out of the many manufacturers of Welbutrin, can you tell me which manufacturer you have used and what the side effects have been?

1.  Increase in libido?

2.  Moodiness?

3.  A better overall sense of well-being?

Anything else you would like to share? 

I am about to go on the Par Pharmacy version 150mg daily and I have heard better things about the Global Pharmacy version but apparently, it is harder to get.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:58 AM, Celianicole said:

I would think your heightened sex drive would be a side effect of lowering your SSRI instead of the Wellbutrin.

Well, they both kind of work together and it's a mixed blessing in disguise.  However, I do agree with you

Well, I can now confirm this drug does kick the sex drive into overdrive for me. It's as if the hormone monster from the Netflix series Big Mouth is over my shoulder demanding I get frisky with the first willing female I encounter. 

When sitting alone at home I'm hit with a craving for sex and physical intimacy that's like a volcanic eruption. The heart rate goes up. I feel a jolt of energy like I'm being called to action and must run off into the night and feed upon the first attractive woman that makes eye contact. 

I can't tell if I've become a vampire, werewolf, walking dead zombie or all of the above. 

I spoke to my psychiatrist about this and she was in gales of laughter and loved it. I think she even wanted to find another med to supplement the Wellbutrin to crank it up further but I won't do it as I fear I will explode.  

She said this is a good result and it feels strong because its a part of me that's been dormant for so long that I lost touch with it and it will even out. 

I startled, bemused, and thankful its back but if there's any singles/speed dating events out there, I may be a fox cut loose in a chicken coop.  

On 5/17/2019 at 10:54 AM, Mike T said:

Out of the many manufacturers of Welbutrin, can you tell me which manufacturer you have used and what the side effects have been?

I have been using the Wellbutrin brand of Bupropion, not a generic brand. I buy Wellbutrin outside of the USA for like $50 for 30 pills of the 300 mg presentation. I was shocked to find that the same amount of pills would have cost me about $700 in the US if I was to get the brand name.

As for the side effects, I am currently keeping a weekly diary of my experiment with Wellbutrin on this forum, if you do a search you will find it. The jury is still out for me, but I'm hopeful that it will work.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Carissa, it has been 7 years since your OP.  Did you ever find the cause for your crazy sex drive?  And the difficulty with orgasms?  I ask because my dr. wants to put me on Wellbutrin for ADHD, but I also have PGAD (Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder--in my case it basically means that I feel the need to have an orgasm every moment I'm awake.  Yet it's difficult to orgasm) and some cases of PGAD seem to have started with Wellbutrin.  I'm wondering if that is what you actually had.  Did you ever get relief?  Do you still think it Wellbutrin was the cause?  I know it's been a long time, so I hope you see this and are able to respond.  

Womanofthelight,  It has been 4 years since you posted, so I hope you see/read this.  Did you ever find the caused for your crazy sex drive?  Did it ever become uncontrollable?  Did it ever get to a point where it was no longer pleasurable, but debilitating?   I ask because my dr. wants to put me on Wellbutrin for ADHD, but I also have PGAD (Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder--in my case it basically means that I feel the need to have an orgasm every moment I'm awake.  Yet it's difficult to orgasm) and some cases of PGAD seem to have started with Wellbutrin. I'm trying to gather as much information as possible. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2013 at 7:19 PM, Carissa Juarez said:

I started taking Wellbutrin XL, 150MG a little more than six months ago. My sex drive is INSANE. I am a female, remind you. I could care less about sex before on Wellbutrin.. seriously.. I could go months, at one point.. I went a whole year. LOL. I am on Zoloft, trying to wean off completely.. down to 25MG day from 100MG at one point. But my psych recently prescribed Paxil for my social anxiety. Here is where my complaint comes in.. I am kinda okay with having an insane sex drive because I am in a commited relationship but sometimes I feel like I want it more than him a lot of the times, yet when we do have sex it is really really difficult to have an orgasm because of the Zoloft I think. I am not sure how to talk about this problem with my boyfriend, but I know I probably should. Anyways, I would like some replies from anyone experiencing the same thing or has experienced it.

I wish I had your sex drive.  When I started taking Wellbutrin I thought I felt my sex drive increase and after continued use my sex drive just died.   I am not happy about that but the med seems to be helping me otherwise.   I am not sure what to do now.   I am 48 perhaps that is why?   BUT I had a sex drive before this med when I was only on Cipralex.   I am only on 150mg of Wellbutrin as well.  Anyone else's sex drive take a tumble on Wellbutrin?   What did you do to fix that?  I may come off of it because it is really bothering me.