Carissa Juarez

Wellbutrin And Crazy Sex Drive

I started taking Wellbutrin XL, 150MG a little more than six months ago. My sex drive is INSANE. I am a female, remind you. I could care less about sex before on Wellbutrin.. seriously.. I could go months, at one point.. I went a whole year. LOL. I am on Zoloft, trying to wean off completely.. down to 25MG day from 100MG at one point. But my psych recently prescribed Paxil for my social anxiety. Here is where my complaint comes in.. I am kinda okay with having an insane sex drive because I am in a commited relationship but sometimes I feel like I want it more than him a lot of the times, yet when we do have sex it is really really difficult to have an orgasm because of the Zoloft I think. I am not sure how to talk about this problem with my boyfriend, but I know I probably should. Anyways, I would like some replies from anyone experiencing the same thing or has experienced it.

Carissa -

Are you by any chance taking the generic by Anchen? I've been on Wellbutrin for 13 years now and recently my insurance company completely stopped covering the brand. I've been on a couple of different versions of generic - with differing side effects. The one from Watson only causes me sleep and wakeup difficulties. The one from Anchen... OMG!! Weird dreams (especially the ones where I think I'm awake but I'm not), lots of difficulty waking up, constipation, foggy feeling, no interest in moving off the couch and carb cravings! The worst one though is that I'm having vaginal spasms and I feel like I'm doing constant Kegels! It's so distracting! Half the time I can't concentrate!

I am taking a generic but its made by Global Pharmacy. I just started Paxil about a month ago, and that is helping some of the sex drive... I feel pretty good on the Paxil. Sleeping. Having nice dreams. Much less anxiety and increased overall happiness. :upside:

Jealous here! I'm on the Par Pharma generic and it has done zero for my sex drive. I was really hoping it would boost my libido because depression has already quashed it. I wouldn't miss it if I were single, but I'm married, and my husband sure misses it.

Well....Wellbutrin/Bupropion is an activator, plus the fact that it maintains the synapse bridge for both Norepinepherine & Dopamine, the maniac can indeed be "let out of the box" for some folks.... My libido has been positively affected, and the wild/vivid dreams are absolutely a positive bonus for me. The high energy feeling is really a great thing as well..dayum I've been motivated to do all kinds of projects that I've pushed-off for so long. Enjoy the ride!

Edited by BoneSpur

Oh thank goodness wellbutrin doesn't cause this in me! I always had a higher sex drive than many men, didn't always get it even in marriage, go figure. So much for men wanting it frequently.

I don't know if it's menopause, the psychological pain of my marriage, having to get over repeated rejection but husband wouldn't initiate, wellbutrin or what; but some combination has removed my sex drive and I'm grateful because it keeps me from doing stupid things. I have no hopes of ever having a partner again since I doubt my body could physically take it with my disability.

Well, I'm a tad jealous of those that experienced an increase in sex drive. I wouldn't want mine to be crazy insane, but being that Wellbutrin is known as 'the happy, horny, skinny pill' I was kinda hoping to see at least a little bit of increase. As it is, it's kinda gone the other way for me. My libido seems to have lessened. Not extremely so. I mean, I have a boyfriend of 11 years now, I'm still immensely attracted to him and last time I saw him we had a pretty fun romp, but I don't find myself thinking about sex or craving it nearly as much as I used to (though I never really had a strong libido to begin with) and it takes a bit more for me to get stirred up. In fact, I can easily go several days now without having a single sex thought. Kinda sad, I know, but in reality, it's okay because as for doing the act itself everything is good and fine. MUCH better than what Zoloft did to me. Zoloft was horrible. It had no negative effect on my libido but it did give me nasty inorgasmia which sucked, sucked, sucked. At least with Wellbutrin I can still enjoy sex as much as I used to. But as far as craving it and overall libido? Yeah, for me I'm finding it's lessened. I should also note my boyfriend is 25 years older than I am and his sex drive isn't what it used to be 10, or even 5 years ago. We used to flirt with each other all the time. Now not so much and I find myself missing some of that. But, as I said, not a huge biggie..we still have good sex when we get together ;) Regarding the 'skinny' part of Wellbutrin, I AM benefiting from that and loving it :D

"The happy , horny, skinny pill" part must not be in mine. ***, part of the switch to WB was the Citalopram i was on made my E/D/ 1000% WORSE, even though my mind said yes, yes, my body on the other hand says no no no. My wife has been so very understanding, was also hopeful for the WB helping things to work again. But now since 5 months of 150 XL WB & i have no libido, no interest & when we have tried the E.D. is worse than when i was on the Citalopram. So far my assessment of WB is "the Angry, Limp, Fat pill"

I'm taking Par Pharm Bupropion xl. It's my third week in and I can say that my libido has increased too. Some days are better than other days but an increase in general. I would get in the mood in class randomly, that has never happened to me once in my life. Also I like the idea of being sexually involved with my boyfriend. Which I'm so happy for. Expecially because I never had interest before. Like zero interest.

Ok i am glad i found this site. Here is my story. Started on prozac and my sex drive was zero hard to get to the finish line. Talked to my doctor and i started to take Wellbutrin 150mg and for the pass 2 months i have been on another planet. It is like i dont have enough time. I love it because for 6 years nothing . I just wish i know why this makes my sex drive so hyper.

I am so glad that I am not the only one with the insane sex drive. I've been on buprophion for about 3-4 months now and have been excuse my language but horny 24/7. I thought it was just me. But I'm fairly glad to see it isn't haha. I already have a very active sex drive as it is so this doesn't help in that area, specially due to no female companion to help me in that department. Doc just upped my dosage as well. Should my sex drive get even worse? If so I literally don't know what to do. May have to pimp my self out haha. 

I'm not sure what is going on, but my libido has improved since starting WB.  I had always had an extremely high need for sex for many years, then about 3 years ago I got put on Lexapro and it slowed way, way down.  I figured my wife appreciated it because I wasn't constantly chasing her around the house.

I did not realize that my loss of libido was impacting my wife so badly.  She had become very insecure because I never was the one to initiate sex anymore.  Opening up verbally to my wife over the past few weeks has been apparently a turn on for her.  We are trying to make up for lost time in the bedroom now ;-)

Good thing I am on WB or else I couldn't keep up with her increased appetite for sex!

Wellbutrin loosely binds to the serotonin receptors in the brain, therefore it can mildly affect your sexual function for a bit while your body gets used to it.. If you have previously been on an SSRI (such as Zoloft / sertraline, Prozac, Lexapro, and many other SSRI's) before transitioning to wellbutrin, it may take months, even YEARS for the SSRI to completely "wash out" of your body to the point in which you are able to once again have an orgasm..

I personally have been on wellbutrin for 11 days, and at first, I had a mild sexual side effect (could not maintain an erection), but now, that problem seems to be completely gone :-) .

Edited by dw762

I've been on Wellbutrin for...16 days now (two weeks of 150mg and second day on full dosage of 300mg.)  Can it sometimes take a while for the sex drive to kick in?

I've been on Wellbutrin for two months and my libido increased quickly once I started taking it. I feel more like a normal teenager now, so I'm not at all annoyed. It's a positive side effect for me.

im on depakote wellburtrin and namenda for my memory i cannot orgasm very much anymore. i have sex almost every day i am hoping this is something that will pass it is crazy i am only 33 years old i am turned on i just cant get there lol

On 4/1/2016 at 10:14 PM, dw762 said:

Wellbutrin loosely binds to the serotonin receptors in the brain, therefore it can mildly affect your sexual function for a bit while your body gets used to it.. If you have previously been on an SSRI (such as Zoloft / sertraline, Prozac, Lexapro, and many other SSRI's) before transitioning to wellbutrin, it may take months, even YEARS for the SSRI to completely "wash out" of your body to the point in which you are able to once again have an orgasm..

I personally have been on wellbutrin for 11 days, and at first, I had a mild sexual side effect (could not maintain an erection), but now, that problem seems to be completely gone :-) .

Please explain how any SSRI or anything for that matter can stay in your system for YEARS before "wash out"?  If i'm wrong please cite or reference your information, other wise please don't spread information like this that could potential keep someone from seeking medical attention due to false fears, if it's possible for it to stay in your system for years I WILL go to my doctor and be taken off immediately.  Thank you.

Regards.,

On 4/2/2016 at 1:14 AM, dw762 said:

The half life of Wellbutrin is roughly 21 hours. That means, in 21 hours, half of the original dose remains in the blood. So in around 4 days you would be below a therapeutic dose and in around 6 days all of the original dose would be eliminated from the blood. 

Please let us know if you've seen a study which shows such long, lingering effects.

Peace

I am 39. And this is my second and last time taking, Welbrutrin! Years ago I was diagnosed with major depression and was put on Welbrutrin. I was a drinker at the time and took two months worth of the pills to try to **** myself.

After my 6 year old was recently diagnosed with ADHD I realized I have and have always had the same qualifiers as her. So at this late stage in my life have sought out to treat my ADHD. 

After the 3rd Doctor recommending I take wellbrutin for the ADHD I finally listened. On the second day first day I had 150 dose. The second day started the 300 dose I was ok till about two hours after taking it. 

Everything got really bright and vivid. I could not understand teacher or follow along to the lesson. I drove home feeling electrified(not in a good way). Stopped at the store, then could t find where I parked. Ran a red light.

As the day went on I felt this doom full feeling. I started getting really angry. Then suicidial. Finally at about 6 pm I threw up several times. It's now 9:30 pm and I'm starting to feel a little normal.

I was scared and will never take it again. I give up on trying. I know it's hopeless to try. 

Hi everyone!

I am 32 years old (female), happily married for 6 years, but have absolutely no sex drive whatsoever....for over 10 years!  My doctor has prescribed 150mg XL once a day  to see if that helps. I've only been taking it three days, but I was hoping someone could give some input on how long it took  to see any difference in his/her sex drive.  This is my first time taking an AD, so I don't know what to expect.  I go back next week, but not sure how long I should give the medication a chance to work.  I don't want to tell the doctor that it isn't working if I haven't given it long enough to take effect.  

I have noticed a decrease in appetite from the first day.  I have also noticed occasional feelings of being light headed and an aloof type feeling....it is hard to describe.  I've also been feeling really lazy the last few days, but unsure if that is the meds or because it has been raining here non stop!  :)   

I'd love to hear your input on this, common side effects and when/if they subsided, that sort of thing.