Ego Death

• 2 weeks later...

The death of an ego can come in many forms, it is typically not an all of the sudden occurrence (though it can be brought on by the use of psychedelic drugs) It is difficult to describe and almost impossible to imagine for most people. I'll do my best. Think about everything that makes you, you. What are your hobbies, what sort of things are important to you, what makes up what you identify yourself with. What sort of masks do you identify with? Are you the chill, soft spoken guy? Maybe combative and a little short tempered? the possibilities are endless. When you **** your ego, you are cutting all association that you previously identified yourself with. The down side is once you remove all of these masks you are essentially nothing since you don't identify with anything. On the up side, you are more humble. Things that most people put their focus on, especially problems, become non-existent. All of your pride disappears. I am not a big follower of all the cosmos terminology, but you feel more oneness with the universe. Since all of the things that make up our daily routine are really man-made and driven by society, you disconnect from that. While it is freeing, be prepared to face some criticism if you choose to do it. It is widely believed that the ego is not your friend. It is the voice inside your head that tells you what you can and can't do. When you remove that voice, you realize you really can do anything you wish to.

• 3 weeks later...

Well at least Blue was able to state an "up-side" if nothing else. If someone were to ask me what I like to do, I don't have an answer anymore. It's sad when you're filling out profiles about yourself how your list gradually shortens over the years when you don't like to do as much as you used to..

• 7 months later...

I don't think I've ever experienced "ego death" per se but a few times while on fourth plateau doses of DXM I gained a sense of "me" actually being "we." Not in a multiple personality disorder way, nothing like that. Every "identity" was fully aware of all the other identities and many of them would have conversations with each other all at once.

Has anyone ever played Mass Effect? You know how Legion talks about not really being someone in particular but a consensus of the Geth inside one vessel? It was very much like that.

Disclaimer: DXM is horrible for your body, can give you serotonin syndrome if you're on an SSRI (you could die), and trips can be nightmarish, especially if you aren't experienced. Although I appreciate my own experiences on it, I absolutely do not recommend it to anyone and strongly advise anyone to not try it at all. There are other non-drug ways to induce ego death or similar feelings that are preferable.

• 2 months later...

Not sure what you mean by ego death, if you are referring to Sigmund Freud theory of ego then it would basically be congruent with dissociative disorder.

I don't really see how it could be healthy if it is a mental disorder. Basically you can't relate to yourself anymore.

Ego death is not a mental disorder. It is an experience of seeing oneself as you really are. You and I are part of the Universe and the Universe is part of us. As iimblue stated, the ego is a collection of everything you've learned and identified with along the way. This is, in a sense, a false self because society wants you to be a certain way (docile) and everything, ever (media, interactions with people, religion, etc), feeds into this. In a shallow sense, it's the mask you put on when you're socializing. In a deeper sense, it's what you truly believe to be yourself and what you're capable of.

I experienced ego death after taking LSD about three years ago. It was beautiful...better than I could ever describe to you. Ego death can be described as "awakening." That's how I always end up describing it to someone who hasn't experienced it. Someone who has experienced it, on the other hand, will know exactly what I'm referring to. It's an intensely spiritual experience that shakes you to your core. Your ego doesn't necessarily disappear, but during Ego Death you can see through it to what's really going on inside! I can tell you, after spending 10 years being depressed and anxious and not being able to see a way out, ego death cured me. At least for a little while.

For the first time in my entire life (I was 21 at the time), I felt confident, intelligent, beautiful, and aware. I spent most of my life hating myself for a multitude of different reasons, but that's a different story. I spent the next year in blissful awareness and even when bad stuff happened (because it continues to happen and will always happen) it didn't break me like it used to. I could TALK to people and they liked me! It's because I was being my true self. My true self is a confident, spiritual being who can talk to anyone about anything. My ego self is painfully shy, reserved, anal-retentive, and a loner. I thought I had found the cure-all for depression and I started telling everyone I met what had happened to me, only to find that they thought I was insane. I was just trying to help but no one would listen. That's when I realized that this is a very personal experience that cannot really be shared too often.

It didn't stick. After about a year I found myself falling into similar patterns of anxiety, but this time it had morphed into something new. Very familiar but different, all at the same time. The depression was gone, however. This is when I started to realize that anxiety and depression happen because they're supposed to teach you a lesson. I finished the first puzzle, but three years later still haven't finished the second. It's comforting to know that something so beautiful happened to someone so lonely and sad like myself. I know it can happen again, and that's why I keep going!

• 5 months later...

In a way, it sounds similar to the Buddhist concept of the non-self.

As craving causes most of our mental anguish, so it is the ego (self) that craves. And, as the self changes from moment to moment as we continually have new experiences and influences, so we should try to suppress a sense of self and the sense of entitlements (cravings) it generates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember I use to read and practice Eckhart tolle and I was really enthusiastic about it ( sorry if my english is not apropiatte xD ) Anyways,... my ego is suicidal now I really don't want to live anymore.

i still practice sometimes meditation and new age stuff... that doesn't change the fact that I want to die.

Edited by Sudamerica

Maybe it is like what or who you think you are is only because of what you were told or experienced which was man-made so not really true. When in fact you are a live being just living. No labels you just are and you just be. But then to live in the world, you need to have a sense of identity so you believe the labels you have acquired throughout your life so you can put some sort of name to yourself. Does that make sense? Like in order to survive or you go too far into the deep thinking tunnel.