Depressive Attack At Workplace

abram

I had a severe depressive attack in my workplace today. I got really disappointed when nobody would go to lunch with me and It seems like I felt really low. Like I'm in a black hole. I feel isolated in my new workplace. I tried my best to socialize but it seems I'm being kept out of the loop. It got so bad that when I left work I had to really try my hardest to hold back tears and I was breathing heavily. I don't know how I felt this way. This is the worst depressive attack I ever had and I don't know what I can do. Has anyone ever felt like this before

I am very sorry this has happened to you - I had my first depressive attack earlier this year. I naturally am insecure with low self-esteem and a little paranoid, a few months after my break-up (I had already begun extreme dieting and exercise to cope) my warped feelings recalled and distorted a time in our relationship where I imagined her sleeping with someone else. which is not true.

anyway, this thought couple with my depression, extreme dieting and exercising sent me into COMPLETE panic attack and had to have the emergency services called out. my whole body was numb and shaking and i couldnt speak. it was horrible.

the reason why I am telling you this is that this episode caused me to recognise how bad my insecurity and self-esteem is - what have you identified from your episode?

Hi Abram,

I just read your post and I am so sorry this happened to you at work. I've had similar experiences at work before. Its really hard to be isolated and ostracized by others. Try to be good to yourself when others are not. I know this can be difficult. But it is important to try to give yourself what you need when others won't.

This thought might help: Your brain is your very very best friend. It works 24 hours a day, seven days a week to keep you alive and healthy. But it is also like a child in some ways. It can need a lot of love and comfort and encouragement. When the people in your life are not providing this, you can try to give these things to your brain directly. During a time in my life when people were very insensitive and even cruel to me, I did something out of the ordinary for my little brain: I took it on a vacation to Hawaii. I'm not recommending this to you, of course. But there are all kinds of things you can do, large and small, to give your brain the love and respect it deserves when others won't. Hopefully your situation will improve at work, but please try to help your brain and love it during this awful time. It is a better friend to you than anyone and you can love it just like you love a beloved child. Hope this helps and was not just a waste of your time. I wish you all the very very best. Others here will hopefully give you better advice than mine.

Edited by Epictetus

I"m so sorry this happened at work! I often get very depressed at work, and I have had anxiety attacks too. It's really embarassing to start crying at my desk in front of my officemate. Luckily, I've managed to not do that when I'm on the Ref Desk, but I have had to run to my office to have a quick cry. Sigh.

SweetSmile asked a very good question, what problem have you identified from your episode? Are you currently seeing a Dr for your Depression? Or taking any meds?

Talk to us more about your situation, if you feel comfortable doing so, and we will help as much as we can!

I realized that my depressive attacks are triggered by some form of rejection by girls and loneliness. Being in a place where I see a lot of happy couples can trigger it too so I try to avoid them. But it's like a low sinking feeling. Like I will never be happy again and I will always be lonely forever. I have tried showing compassion to myself and my brain but it seems that nobody else does the same. I'm clutching straws, trying to hang on and keep it all together but I'm afraid one day I will have a real terrible breakdown. These depressive attacks are affecting my life and productivity.

I know this feeling all too well, it is truly difficult to stomach when at work and these stark feelings of rejection and despair are overpowering. Early on I was able to stomach them, take 30 minutes to calm myself down and try to carry on once again like nothing had happened. Later on, I grew detached in these situations. At one point I even just walked out of work and went to a movie. I didn't even tell anyone I was leaving, I had no interest in seeing a movie at all, I don't even remember what I went to see... I had no idea what to do with myself. I was more worried that someone would actually try to talk to me and I would become a complete mess and break down and cry. It really had nothing to do with my workplace and everything to do with my depression. I hope you find the help you need, it took me a while to find the help I needed. Don't give up on yourself, never give up on yourself, this feeling can and will pass with adequate support and treatment. Take care.

I know exactly how you feel - I have been feeling like this ever since my last breakup and it is the pinpoint of my current depressive state.

It is natural for humans to find partners, and I suppose natural we will feel unfulfilled and "depressed" when we see lots of other mates - I feel nauseous seeing couples hold hands! It effects us all differently and is effecting you in a great way.

Have you recently been through a breakup?

No it's worse. I've never had a girlfriend despite being decent looking and a willing listener so I can't even look back at a time when I was in love. My love life has all been about rejection after rejection and that's it. It makes me feel like the whole world is against me sometimes. God, women and everyone else. Like I try my best to work hard and live a good life but everyone else just want to bring me down. Does anyone know any quick remedy for these depressive attacks? Like pills or anything? I'm really scared to break down at work.

You are at an advantage having never been in love before, and I really do mean that. Hence why I asked your age, if you were 40+ then it would be a different conversation.

I would google "falling in love too quickly" and do a bit of research, there maybe a fundamental reason why you are getting rejected. We all want a bit of the love drug, and your time will come?.

The other issue is the depression, are you sure you are on the right medication? You need to learn how to cope with your depression now because when you're in love, any slight upset will trigger your depression and if you lose that love, there is a very good chance you will be feeling much more worse than you do now.

I am on Cymbalata and Buspirone now from taking nothing and this has changed me a lot in a good way.