Sign in to follow this  
Notmuchenergy

Does Getting A Lot Of Sleep Make You Feel Better The Next Day?

If I get sleep a lot during the day, I wake up with energy the next day and/or feel better the next day. Is this typical...of depression? I have sleep apnea, and am trying to figure out if the way I feel is medical or psychological problem. Thank you for your thoughts.

Notmuchenergy,

If I sleep poorly, my depression gets worse the next morning. Sometimes it takes me a few days to get caught up on my sleep for it to help with the depression. That is what happens to me. Everyone is different.

Welcome to DF! -jmg

Thank you jmg for the welcome and for your thoughts. I never sleep well, but some nights are worse than others. Yea, often I get several hours sleep in the day and I don't feel better.

Not getting enough sleep for two consecutive nights slides me into a mild depression that will only get worse if I neglect decent sleeping habits.

So in a way, yes, getting enough sleep certainly helps maintain a stable mood. And a generally good mood at that.

I'm on Day 3 of poor sleep, hence back here on DF perusing the posts and teetering between recovery and further descent. Right now I'm leaning more towards a rebound knowing that a good night's sleep will help pull me out of this funk.

This too shall pass.

If I get very tired them I become extremely emotional and also trying to reason with myself becomes increasingly difficult. Trying to get enough sleep is very important to me in fighting depression.

Edited by Tessar

If I get sleep a lot during the day, I wake up with energy the next day and/or feel better the next day. Is this typical...of depression? I have sleep apnea, and am trying to figure out if the way I feel is medical or psychological problem. Thank you for your thoughts.

This is more typical a reaction to the sleep apnea than the depression. I have sleep apnea as well, and for years have taken naps on Saturday and Sunday to recover, although like a true depressionist (new word?), I pounded myself for being lazy. I had a surgery to correct the sleep apnea years ago, but it didn't totally get rid of it. I've had a CPAP machine for years that I never use (cuz it's so darn uncomfortable to wear!), which my new therapist is urging me to try again. I compare it to the issue that psychologists have with addiction. As long as someone is using drugs, diagnosis and treatment is unreliable because one doesn't know whether the symptoms are psychological or drug-related. Until the sleep apnea is treated, one can't tell whether it's depression or lack of sleep. Sadly, unless I can get used to the CPAP, the sleep apnea will remain a primary issue.

Hi Mirthless, thanks for writing and for your thoughts. Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight and that you can feel better soon.

Hi Tessar, thanks for writing. Sometimes I feel like I have cobwebs in my brain, and exercise helps me with that. I guess we all need different amounts of sleep--I think I need more. Sorry your depression causes you to be so emotional. I think my hormones cause the same in me plus...stress. When i was younger, i used to keep all my feelings inside; now they are all coming out! I think I used sleep to fight some mild depression as a child, but I probably didn't realize it then.

Hi OdDCy, thanks for writing. I would also like to highly highly encourage you to use your CPAP--that is very hard on your cardiovascular system to not treat your sleep apnea. Please get a mask to wear that is comfortable. Go to your supplier and get a comfortable one (or is your discomfort due to high pressure or something else?). Yes, if you add meds, how can you figure what physically is wrong??! Yes, I heard you should get a thorough checkup, then maybe antidepressants. Please get right on your CPAP problem ASAP. There is lots of help available to get used to CPAP; please don't give up!

Quite the contrary. "Getting a lot of sleep" makes me feel terrible. I wish humans just didn't have to sleep. I live every day trying to have a better and more fulfilling day than the last, and I can only imagine what we'd be able to accomplish if we could have those extra 5-8 hours a day. I don't really like sleeping, because as I always say, "I'll rest when I'm dead." But since I am human and can't function without sleep, I usually try to sleep 5-6 hours. Sometimes I get lazy and sleep 8, but if I sleep more than that, I wake up and start hating myself for being lazy and wasting valuable hours of my finite life. Also if I ever sleep past 1130am, which happens far too often, I also wake up and start feeling angry with myself. One time I woke up at 2 in the afternoon, having gotten a whopping 14 hours of sleep or so. I gave myself such a hard time that day.

due my job ive been sleeping like 4 to 6 hours at day, right now its almost 5am and im still working and ill work all day, tomorrow ill feel less happy, so, i think for me , def improves my mood to sleep more, and i feel happier when i do... i bet it helps due the brain rests and you know,all its about brains hehe

It really varies person to person.

However, it has been found that poor lifestyle can have a high correlation with depression. Of course, this is kind of a chicken and the egg thing, but many people have "beaten" their depression by eating better, exercising more and sleeping better.

This doesn't work for everyone, of course. However, it may help.

for me sleep works as an escape route from depression... i take a tablet of melatonin and go to sleep at nights. I sleep longer when i have feel depressed ....simply put my bed is where i go and stay to get away from it .... even if temporarily. After i wake up my mood goes from negative to neutral so i guess in a way it feels better.

At least extra sleep is a free and harmless option . I have been having a cortisol driven apnea for a couple years ( wake up at 4 or 5 with nerve throbbing ) and I can't tell if it's depression related ( my therapist didn't think so ). Today, for a change, I forced myself to "rest" an extra couple hours.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Jstr, wondering how you got diagnosed with cortisol driven apnea? I wake up early, but have no throbbing. Jmg, I think you are so right, quality of sleep is more important than quantity. Glad melatonin helps you, unawaredeprssed. Pulledpork, I think you hit the nail on the head mentioning healthy eating choices, exercising, good lifestyle. Getting gestational diabetes was a good thing because i had to eat very carefully and exercised everyday, and felt the best i had ever had in my life. Computer boy and Luis thanks for writing...sometimes I forget to make the most of each day!

I have been having less stress (mostly) and sleeping better. I have gotten back on track with getting organized carrying out some work in the household which is EXTREMELY important to me. I have more energy now and am happier. Feeling I am moving past the grief and attacking problems which need addressing! I still am not sure if I have crazy hormones/various illness/depression...but severe depression? Treatment of sleep apnea has stopped a lot of the tears! I may need to get on medication ultimately but am doing better. Exercising was a priority for many of last 15 years...

Hi Tessar, thanks for writing. Sometimes I feel like I have cobwebs in my brain, and exercise helps me with that. I guess we all need different amounts of sleep--I think I need more. Sorry your depression causes you to be so emotional. I think my hormones cause the same in me plus...stress. When i was younger, i used to keep all my feelings inside; now they are all coming out! I think I used sleep to fight some mild depression as a child, but I probably didn't realize it then.

You do sound just like me. I'm like you, I need plenty of sleep. Hormones, bl@@dy hormones!!!! Cobwebs in the brain, yep. And I agree exercise helps alot. It's just a pain driving myself to do it as I lack motivation often. But I did walk this lunch time.

Oh and as for keeping all your feelings inside, yes let them out...... I am doing that after a lifetime if hiding them, desperately trying to keep the tears and frustrations locked away for fear of shame, humiliation or laughter.

Well, finally they're coming out, bit by bit and whilst it hurts to revisit what it was all about, it is helping. The weight on my shoulders is decreasing and. I am learning to stand up tall & be more proud of myself.

I am realising now that it's no wonder I felt so bad growing up & that I had good reason to feel that way.

I could have written your post pretty much word for word.

I'm sorry too that you are in a similar situation but are you finding it help it to let them out?

Edited by Tessar

Quality of sleep more important than the number of hours of sleep.

Even though I like to sleep alot, I am sure you are right.

I love my sleep, which is induced by the meds. I get a solid 8 hours a night instead of the 4 hours and early rising I used to get when I was unmedicated. Sleep is my healthy escape from life. My dreams are like a screen saver in my brain, and they keep me entertained while I sleep.