Sign in to follow this  
kgpremed11

The Human Race Is Such A Huge Dissapointment

I just got word that my grandfather was jumped, robbed and had his jaw broken. The police did absolutely nothing even though they know who did the crime. Honestly almost everybody I know is a huge disappointment. Every girl I ever dated, most of the people in my family, I have no friends. It's like I have to keep everybody at arms length because I know sooner or later I will get hurt by these weak human beings. They will lie. or cheat, or do something that hurts me. I think a lot of people feel this way, but the desire for human closeness makes them seek relationships. I desire closenees but not that much to allow people to hurt me.

Edited by kgpremed11

Not everyone is bad, but the good ones are few and far between. The real key is finding the people that fit right with you, if people feel that you are the perfect fit for them then it is unlikely that they will do anything to hurt you. Problem is the amount of relationships/friendships that are semi-one sided because one person really likes the other but the other don't feel the same way. I find it REALLY hard to meet people because I'm not great looking and charismatic or rich or socially amazing and to top it all off, I'm a bit picky myself and it seems most the people that do want anything to do with me are the kind of people that I don't want anything to do with. Course it dont help that I dont smoke drink or do drugs, which makes it a real pain in the ass to even meet anyone.

I completely agree with you kgpremed. I wish your grandad a speedy recovery. Find console in the fact that those who live by violence, will die violently.

Not to sound like a complete misanthrope, but I often look at our species as the worst to ever walk the earth. Sure, we have instincts like any other animal, but we also have the ability to reason and self-reflect. We have the ability to know better AND do better, but we don't. We destroy not only our own species but the rest of the world as well. What other species foolishly destroys its own habitat? Even if another such species exists it doesn't have the power to realize its errors like we do. I don't mean to sound superior because trust me, I'm far from perfect and I'll never be perfect, but at least I try to acknowledge and work on my unappealing behaviors. A lot of people revel in their negative behavior. Sorry, rant over.

I crave closeness as well, but feel like i'll never be able to truly open up to anybody because what's the point? It'll probably just blow up in my face in the long run. I'm optimistic enough to believe that decent people are out there, but pessimistic enough to believe that such people are rare. Heck, I might not even be one, though I try and hope that I am. Best wishes to your granddad.

Misanthropy is proof that someone is awake and conscious of the world around them. We are the ancestors of the jerks, the "I GO FIRST!"s, not the "YOU GO FIRST!"s. That's part of the problem. As we went on down the genetic line, these traits increased our chances of survival, so they became encouraged in our gene pool. Considerate people died out because they spent their entire lives helping others instead of helping themselves. Even today these traits are justified in the economic world. CEO's can be some of the most cruel and cutthroat people because it takes that kind of selfishness, greed, and complete lack of empathy to make a company grow. Being a good businessman, isn't always aligned with being a good person.

It also doesn't help that the media encourages this kind of behavior. You can see it in everything. "I just want to get mine!" (but I'm not going to give anything back to my community)! Charity is encouraged by TAX DEDUCTIONS! We always need INCENTIVE to do good things. Donate to these people in need, you'll get this! I think we should take a page from certain Asian cultures. Because they have been overpopulated for so long (as compared to America and Europe's relatively recent overpopulation), China, Japan, Korea, and India are focused less on helping themselves and more on helping their neighbor. Islamic societies are very big on helping those in need as well. The flip coin is the amount of fierce competition, intolerance, and ignorance such a society can breed. Not everyone is an upstanding citizen or has people who helped them out, so automatically assuming someone else will take care of it isn't always the best policy. Their selfishness is simply on a grander, more societal scale than others'. This brings me to believe that this selfishness is just an inherent part of human nature. Of nature even.

You're correct that being able to think about our actions should deter us from doing bad things. But the fact is that most people don't think about what they do, let alone think that it's bad. That's why education is so important. Most people who go through hard times come out one of two ways. Some of them come out very embittered and even more self-absorbed as a result. Most others come out much nicer and empathetic because they can relate to bad experiences. I think our job as nice people and aspiring nice people, is simply to spread our niceness. Contrary to popular belief, it is infectious. Simply put, if we are nice, we are enabling others to be nice as well. The most difficult part about being nice and understanding is avoiding getting taken advantage of. The ideal situation is managing to be nice and understanding without getting taken for all you have.

In the future though, I think this is more of an educational problem than anything else. If we teach our children to look out for each other, they will. If we teach tolerance and forgiveness, they will be tolerant and forgive others. It's not that competition is bad because competition brings out the best ideas and gets you the best things. It's about not hurting others in order to bring you to a higher rung in the competition.

NOTE: Sometimes being nice can mean being confrontational too. But as most scapegoats will tell you, if someone can speak for themselves, let them do so. Because they will be just as quick to scapegoat you as the problem too to clear their own names. So you have to keep that in mind and pick your battles. If it's not important, let it go. If it is, then fight for it. There's a clear difference between being nice and being overaccomodating!

Edited by darkdaxter