Sign in to follow this  
JR85

Having Symptoms Of Depression Without Actually Feeling Sad?

It seems to me like I have all of the symptoms of depression, but I wouldn't actually call myself sad. Numb is a much better way to describe how I feel. Would you consider this depression? These are the symptoms of depression that I have.

-Feelings of hopelessness

-Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex

-Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment

-Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions

-Fatigue and decreased energy

-Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping

These are the symptoms of depression that I don't have.

• Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
  • Irritability, restlessness
  • Overeating or appetite loss
  • Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
  • Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts

Would you guys consider what I have depression? I have had sad and depressing thoughts in the past, but I pretty much resolved my issues in therapy. Despite resolving my issues, I still have the symptoms of depression even though I'm not sad and I have nothing to be depressed about.

It seems to me like I have all of the symptoms of depression, but I wouldn't actually call myself sad. Numb is a much better way to describe how I feel. Would you consider this depression? These are the symptoms of depression that I have.

-Feelings of hopelessness

-Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex

-Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment

-Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions

-Fatigue and decreased energy

-Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping

These are the symptoms of depression that I don't have.

• Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
  • Irritability, restlessness
  • Overeating or appetite loss
  • Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
  • Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts

Would you guys consider what I have depression? I have had sad and depressing thoughts in the past, but I pretty much resolved my issues in therapy. Despite resolving my issues, I still have the symptoms of depression even though I'm not sad and I have nothing to be depressed about.

Yes you have depression. Like one of my old college professors said, "True depression is the absence of feeling." In relation to that, some of the other symptoms may show up when you begin to pull out of the depression, which is somewhat ironic but true. I've been making some progress in the last few weeks, and one of the results is that I've felt like crying several times. In speaking with my therapist, I opined that the result of my improvement (feeling like crying) highlighted just how depressed I had become. I was so low that I couldnt' even feel sad.

Yes you have depression. Like one of my old college professors said, "True depression is the absence of feeling." In relation to that, some of the other symptoms may show up when you begin to pull out of the depression, which is somewhat ironic but true. I've been making some progress in the last few weeks, and one of the results is that I've felt like crying several times. In speaking with my therapist, I opined that the result of my improvement (feeling like crying) highlighted just how depressed I had become. I was so low that I couldnt' even feel sad.

You kinda typed your stuff into the quote, supposed to type below the quote box. That said I do find this kinda enlightening myself, a few years back I was so depressed that I literally could often not prevent myself from crying even in public places, nowadays I don't cry at all. Though I am on the fence about your experience relating to my own as I did feel a lot sadder then. However one of the reasons I stopped crying was a side effect of hopelessness, the realization that no matter how much I cry it wont fix anything, it's pointless.

You feel hopeless but not sad? Feeling hopeless is pretty sad in itself. If I had to guess I'd say you have depression.

Yep I feel hopeless, but not sad. I've accepted that things are the way they are and that there's not much I could do about it to change it. You said it best when you wrote "However one of the reasons I stopped crying was a side effect of hopelessness, the realization that no matter how much I cry it wont fix anything, it's pointless." That's pretty much how I feel. Feeling sad isn't going to solve anything and I just have to accept things for the way they are. I guess this acceptance has made me more numb and hopeless than sad.

Edited by JR85