So I'm new here. I was recently prescribed an antidepressant, I have just started treatment.

I admit that I'm skeptical about any form of therapy because the cause of my depression is something that isn't "just in my head" as I've been told. I believe it's a real issue and affects my life in such a way leaves me depressed.

Not sure about going into detail about it, not because of embarassment, but because I keep getting told the same thing over and over and it just feels like everyone either lying in an attempt to be polite, or they just don't know what they're talking about.

I may have the problem but maybe my therapy is less about "thinking differently" and more about accepting it for what it is and hopefully move on with my life...no matter how unfulilling that life is going to be.

Edited by Vatzdude

hello vatzdude and welcome to the forum. can you share what medicines you have been prescribed (so we can share the outcome) and why were your prescribed those medicines.

hello vatzdude and welcome to the forum. can you share what medicines you have been prescribed (so we can share the outcome) and why were your prescribed those medicines.

I was prescribed Welbutrin for depression and anxiety.

Vatzdude,

I, too, am on Wellbutrin for depression. Not so sure that it's helping my anxiety, tho.

I can somewhat understand where you are coming from about ppl saying its in your head. On top of chronic (10 years) depression/anxiety issues I have, there are other medical problems that have cropped up in the last few years. One of them being an undiagnosed autoimmune disorder. I just love it when they look at the symptoms I tell them about and they look at me like "yeah, OK".

Keep searching for a doctor who will listen to you and take you seriously. I am wishing the best for you. ~Rainbow

i

Welcome to the community from a fellow newcomer.

Don't let anyone make you believe that it's "all in your head". You wouldn't tell a blind person it's "all in your eyes" would you? Depression is a real illness and should be treated as such. If these people are important in your life you may want to suggest to them to learn more about depression before they say such hurtful things. I do not suffer from depression myself but I am living with someone who does. When I finally learned that saying things like this really don't help I vowed to myself to learn more and try to be a helpful partner in their depression treatment.

Welcome again!

Justin

Edited by Justin421