Sign in to follow this  
Valder

Intense Boredom

Does anyone else get this?

I feel so frustrated with life...Nothing can quite quench my desires...nothing is good enough because nothing resembles the ideas inside my head. It's just.. there is nothing to do around here, nothing to see...it's all so dull....everything is dull. I can't...I just don''t know what to do with myself. this boredom it feels so intese....i'm not depressed....i'm sort of depressed about the fact nothing i can do is good enough. There is no rollercoaster or bungie jumping or i dunno......jumping out of a plane i can do around here....so yea the boredom is making me feel bad...but argh i dunno i can't even find the words to explain this in the correct way. it's like a part of me thinks about ******* myself not because i'm in a lot of despair but because this boredom is so flipping intense and i'm unable to do athing about it. just makes me sort of want to....cry....

how do you cope with this if you ever felt it/

Take the ideas in your head and develop them whether it be art, gadget, music, prose, poetry, etc. Make your ideas come true. That will take away some of your boredom as I'm sure some of your ideas are challenging. Share your ideas with people. Maybe they will get excited about a couple of them. You could then team up with someone to explore further what you want to do. Maybe all you need is a change of scenery or a change in your routine. I only feel bored when I have accomplished all I want to do in a day. Then I turn to reading, music or watching tv to end my day. I am rarely bored.

Sheepwoman

Can totally relate. For me it's a boredom where no matter what I'm doing, even if it's 5 things at once and it still doesn't satisfy me to some degree I count that as bored. Usually I start to get really bored when I'm getting 'better' or coming out of depression. Then I get restless and have no idea what to do cos I've been sick and hibernating so long. Recently had said boredom and trying to find things to occupy me more than just sitting at home.

I've never been diagnosed as BP, but I often get long periods of intense boredom. I play airsoft a lot, and I find its enough to quench the boredom for a while. I end up daydreaming I could join the army because I feel being in actual combat as opposed to simulated would be enough to shake off the boredom.

I completely understand ! I get bored with life thinking everything will turn out so predictable etc etc...I usually know and tell myself this is part of the depression side of bipolar. I sleep on it or go out and do something different to remind myself that life is unpredictable and things can't be predicted .

Yeah I totally relate to this. I always tend to get bored of things very quickly and then move on to the next thing only to end up getting bored with doing that as well. In the end I just end up reading a book or doing a art project to help me keep focused on something. You're definately not alone in this one. :flowers:

I also tend to spend a lot of time where nothing interests me, or if it does I get bored of it 10 minutes later. Quite frustrating, also tricky since it can be bipolar/depression/ADD symptoms.

also what I've been doing when I get really bored or so frustrated (like yesterday since I've been talking to my mum who keeps degrading me and saying I look unattractive with short hair), I sleep. I slept from 6pm yesterday to today at 9am and I feel so much calmer now. Also, it helps to do something you really hate, like working and then you really want to play video games again lol

I can also totally relate. I have tried making myself go do things and I lose interest almost instantly. It is very defeating and frustrating. You get to the point where you don't want to start doing anything because you already know the end result. I guess all I can do is keep trying and hope something finally takes hold......not to optimistic on that though!

yeah I found out about a new therapy, it's called Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy", which is fairly new. I'm going to see my psychologist again and see if she can help me work through it. It basically teaches people with depression or bipolar life skills, to not react so over sensitively or judge social situations as we do, but actually help us build a routine so we go to work every day, socialize every day even when we don't want to. Seems like exactly what I needed in High school and now :)

That actually sounds sort of depressive to me. Even if you live in Craptown Nowheresville that's a lot of boredom to feel about your everyday life - that overwhelming feeling of "eh" about everything, the dark "why even bother being here" thoughts - I've been there. In some ways it's worse than feeling sad-depressed.

Previous posters have good points about doing SOMETHING different - not that it'll cure the mood, but for me it's sped up recovery significantly before. Get a change of scenery, if you can. This would be a good time for a road trip if you can swing it. Don't just do the same things you enjoyed doing before the apathy hit. Try a new book, or a new video game if you play them, something you have to put a little effort into to learn, maybe a new genre you don't play much of. The Internet is a black hole and I suggest that now might not be the time to spend a whole bunch of time there, because if you're like me you'll drift back to the same sites you always do and think, "Why is there nothing on the Internet?" and it'll just make the boredom worse. New things are the key.

And if you lean creative, as was mentioned above - if nothing matches the ideas in your head, WRITE THEM DOWN. Or draw them, or whatever your preferred method is. I'm a writer and some of my best work has come from being bored because I was tired of my library and had one particular type of story I realllly wanted to read, but couldn't find anything like it, so I wrote it.

exactly, I think instead of feeling bored, maybe work on yourself instead? For example, I used to do origami when I quit working on my comic book ,and used to do so many ones like dragons etc... learn knitting and knit stuffed animals, always wanted to be able to do that but first I want to learn archery! :) I want to learn archery and maybe in the future more things, it's how I keep the boredom away and you learn something new.

I cannot give advice on this one. I live a very mediocre lifestyle with nothing to do except my daily work and chores. For me life often becomes too much to bear, so I like to relax a lot, especially on weekends. I hardly ever get bored as I find there is always something to do, something to keep me busy. I seem to be on the opposite spectrum, I find life too consuming, so boredom does not exist in my vocabulary. Valder, I hope you find a way to break the monotony of life and your boredom.

That actually sounds sort of depressive to me. Even if you live in Craptown Nowheresville that's a lot of boredom to feel about your everyday life - that overwhelming feeling of "eh" about everything, the dark "why even bother being here" thoughts - I've been there. In some ways it's worse than feeling sad-depressed.

Previous posters have good points about doing SOMETHING different - not that it'll cure the mood, but for me it's sped up recovery significantly before. Get a change of scenery, if you can. This would be a good time for a road trip if you can swing it. Don't just do the same things you enjoyed doing before the apathy hit. Try a new book, or a new video game if you play them, something you have to put a little effort into to learn, maybe a new genre you don't play much of. The Internet is a black hole and I suggest that now might not be the time to spend a whole bunch of time there, because if you're like me you'll drift back to the same sites you always do and think, "Why is there nothing on the Internet?" and it'll just make the boredom worse. New things are the key.

And if you lean creative, as was mentioned above - if nothing matches the ideas in your head, WRITE THEM DOWN. Or draw them, or whatever your preferred method is. I'm a writer and some of my best work has come from being bored because I was tired of my library and had one particular type of story I realllly wanted to read, but couldn't find anything like it, so I wrote it.

I guess it was depressive, looking back now.

I get so caught up in enjoying the mania (the bits before the frustration and confusion as it spirals) that I often try to tell myself i still feel that way when I'm depressed....I don't know it's hard to explain... It's like I'll try to mimic what I can remember of the euphoria i felt...it sounds even more insane written out than it does in my head and it probably looks more insane to anyone who witnesses me.... because i'll fake laugh at things to try and get that real laugh back, back when i could laugh at almost everything and find it hilarious, I'll try to do the same but you can tell you laugh is fake because...well it just sounds fake.. I don't know if i'm the only one that does this as i've never seen it mentioned.

I guess some people turn to drugs for a high. Which I at times would do myself if i knew anyone who did, knew where to get drugs from.... its probably a good thing I don't have local friends in that instance i guess...

I think you are having a depressive attack my friend because that should not be normal thinking. I say at least if you aren't doing anything today, go and make a doctor's appointment, that's what I'm doing instead of uni because I had a relapse on wednesday.

You can choose to have depressing, negative thoughts or inspirational, positive thoughts; your attitude determines your mindset, which in turn determines your behaviours and the outcomes in your life. Many studies show that you will achieve more, feel happier and live longer if you chose the positive option.

I know it is hard to fight depression but you have to help yourself. You are not the only one experiencing this. I am also depressed but i do things now that help me win over it. I hope you can find ways too to make you feel better.

Edited by myjade_84

thank you all for the help, I guess it's part of the depression and sitting around doing nothing is the wrong thing to do. Right now I'm happy again, have many hobbies to keep me busy and motivated, so maybe I'll get my comic book published.

I have the same problem and the boredom eclipses whether or not I am depressed or vice-versa. If you don't have the problems that I do you might want to try out a bunch of different hobbies and try to do some exercise every day even simple walking. It is what I do. It helps sometimes (mostly the exercise) I can't find a hobby to stick with. I liked to do technical stuff before my depression so i find technical hobbies and it doesn't help.

But everyone is different everyone is inclined to something. As matter of fact I saw some videos on youtube of a doctor explaining this, that everyone has a niche that they excel at and it makes them happy. So you just gotta try some stuff and see if you can find it.

Jumping out of a plane and bungee jumping is cool indeed however there's a slight possibility that if you do some web searches you might find it is more nearby than you think. I, too, have been thinking about that stuff because I knew a Greek guy in the US that was depressed (his parents literally abandoned him here when he was 16 and no he isn't a citizen) and he took up sky diving. Actually one time his chute didn't open and he literally bounced off the ground but he was fine, he's still alive too. So is isn't a bad thing all around.

I find too much that in my depression I can only focus on my own well being which is not the type of person that I like to be but I hope some of this helped you in some way. As for me, my dilemma would possibly be solved with money however I don't want to give money to the wrong people and plus it would help if I had a job.

If you don't have a job you might want to consider studying and working toward a degree and stuff. My doctors told me to do that. That is what I am doing right now, that doesn't work for my depression either and I am a striaght A student right now but shoot I mean I don't have the diploma yet either.

Still, no matter what you do... studying, sky diving, hobbies, reading, etc... you gotta exercise or your brain will punish you until you do (because the exercise gets it more oxygen..that is why practically all of us are depressed is because we are lazy americans or lazy new zealanders or lazy aussies or lazy <insert country name here>... lazy people) We need to get the brain the natural things that it needs rather than the artificial things that we think we want but we actually do not need.

I realized only a few months ago that my brain is punishing me because I don't exercise enough and that all of my dilemma will be lifted when I figure out how to properly exercise. I know I don't properly do it but at least I try..and trying at least is half the battle won.

You can choose to have depressing, negative thoughts or inspirational, positive thoughts; your attitude determines your mindset, which in turn determines your behaviours and the outcomes in your life. Many studies show that you will achieve more, feel happier and live longer if you chose the positive option.

I know it is hard to fight depression but you have to help yourself. You are not the only one experiencing this. I am also depressed but i do things now that help me win over it. I hope you can find ways too to make you feel better.

I believe myjade's post as well and it can be applied to a variety of things in life. I never thought in my entire life that I would be depressed but I am and it is mostly due to poor decisions.

Anyone who is under 25 reading this.... finish your college as soon as you can that is the top priority above anything. I knew a girl that was on lithium and she was getting her degree.. she was on the right path and she was one heck of a nice young lady. I hope she turned out ok after graduating. I am 35 and still need to get my degree and it is DIFFICULT. I mean yeah after you are 30 you get better grades but I'm bored as all madness in the world while I study.. it is far from easy..when I was in my early 20s I could just wing it and I was happy nearly all the time.

I see a lot of people going to these forums complaining that they are like 21-23 years old and can't find a boyfriend or girlfriend.. that stuff doesn't matter! I've been there done that I have been through times where I couldn't find anyone but when you do you end up finding someone that makes you feel worse so studying should be the thing putting a smile on your face not a relationship beleive me in that. you can always find someone after you graduate. 75% of the women in colleges don't date period. this is a statistical fact.

do things to better things for yourself, the other stuff will come later on.

wow more than a year later and I do a web search and find my own post is the last one in this thread. It looks like I was as bored in July 2013 as I am right now and I got over it for many months. All it comes down to is waiting it out.

I have seen a lot of people in my time in ages ranging from mid teens to mid to late 20s trying to resolve this using self medication (which for the most part entailed illegal stuff). That never helped these people and most of the ones I can think of are in prison now. Well I always stayed away from that so I am still pretty clueless of the danger but I know that it is out there.

I hope this lifts up soon and then I can just go about business as usual. The only thing I have noticed positive about this is I end up meeting a lot more people that are interesting during these periods than other times. I am more outgoing and less afraid of being rejected by the public. It is nearly a fearless capacity but also being mindful of dangerous situations which I don't put myself in. I have met some really nice people over the last couple of weeks due to this.

I have also noticed that this doesn't negatively impact my capability to study and learn and get good grades.

Edited by rooket

To be honest, I've felt the same way for the past couple years. My mind tried to remedy this by giving me "solutions" that might be interesting. Unfortunately, what my mind came up with wasn't great; it primarily related to ******* people. My thoughts eventually focused around those negative ideas and I eventually forgot everything other than those ideas. I'm glad that I never killed anybody, but it terrifies me to think that I forgot that the reason for these thoughts was because of boredom.

This. I've felt so immensely bored. I've entertained the thought, "Is this what the gods of Olympos felt like? They had everything and they still felt bored."

Some days are better and there are times when I feel genuinely entertained. But usually there's this very intense boredom and apathy accompanying me. I can't remember the last time I've felt genuinely happy.

Yes intense boredom is something I deal with every single day and it is really getting to me bad. I get out of bed in the morning and sit in front of the TV, not even interested in whatever is on, I just stare. I brush my teeth, comb my hair, but stay in my underwear all day because it isn't like I am going anywhere. The only thing that gets my mind off of the boredom and depression is coming here to the forum. I just do the exact same things every single day, I feel like a robot just going through the motions. I think to myself all the time, there has to be something more. I feel like I am losing my mind, I have to get something else going in my life. But until I take that first step I will continue to suffer from this severe boredom...Be Good to Yourselves...