New To Depression Medicine... Zoloft Please Reply

I am 20 years old and have struggled with depression and anxiety for a really long time. I learned how to handle it after I met my fiance but then I miscarried twice and lost my childhood cat all within a year, october 2011 to december 2012 i was a person i didnt even know. January I started learning how to cope again but over the past month it has slowly started coming back. I get anxious when I lay my daughter down for her nap, shes almost two. I get anxious that she is about to be turning two. When I get anxious I pick my arms and I get anxious over a lot but those two are the worst. I was trying to handle my depression without medication but I finally realized I cant, I dont want to depend on the medicine but I feel like its best for me and my daughter so I dont randomly get depressed and start crying. I dont really know the cause of my depression I just know things that have made me lose control of the handle i had over my depression. I am on Day two and am already seeing a difference, I havent been able to lose my baby weight because of my depression and i have lost twp pounds since starting this medicine and i think its because i cant eat or drink. I dont know how to explain it but i just dont want to eat, I have slept better the past two nights of taking the pills. but last night i woke up thinking i had a spider on my pillow. Is that normal? I also want to know what I should be lookng for. How will I feel in a couple weeks stuff like that. My doctor has also reccomended that i get on adderall because i cant focus on anything, and i dont remember anything, should I get on it? She thinks it will help me a lot and help me feel better along with the depression med. I go back to her in a couple of weeks just to check up on how i am doing and to see if i changed my mind about the adderall... Im not really sure what to do. Im skeptical about medicine and Im kinda wondering if this or the adderall will even help me. But I am on zoloft 50 mg and im really hoping it does.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Is your doctor a family doctor or a psychiatrist? I would ask for a referral to someone who deals with mental health issues if you're not already seeing someone. I have heard that adderall has been used for depression but it depends on the person, that's why I would talk to a pdoc about it.

Give the Zoloft time, it generally takes any AD up to 6 weeks or even longer to start working, please be patient, even though I know it's hard (I'm in my 3rd week of my med increase and wishing it would hurry up!) In the meantime, I hope you'll hang out here and talk to us, as we all know what you're going through because we all have our own demons. This is a great forum and I'm glad you found us!

She is a family doctor but I dont have the money for a psychiatrist. She has a really good name in our town and although I trust her I like taking any kind of medicine let alone being on two. I know people on adderall and they say its helped a lot but Im just unsure.

If you trust your doctor and she thinks it would help, I'd say give it a try. You can always stop it if it doesn't work. For some people, medication is a necessity. I've tried treatments both with and without medication and I definitely need mine...I'd do whatever it takes to feel better!

I've taken both zoloft and adderall in the past and actually those were the first meds I took after I was first diagnosed with ADD and Depression (I just started back on meds but take prozac and ritalin now).You could always try the adderall and see how it makes you feel. If after a few days or weeks of taking it you don't feel it is benefiting you, talk to your doctor about it. There is no harm in trying and what if this is the one thing that will make you feel better?

Hello, SAHMandloveit, I hope you are doing better.

I just wanted to say that I felt the same way when I started my zoloft. Everyone reacts to medication in different ways and I remember my anxiety increased for a little while, when I first started, but then it went back down. For me, 50 mg didn't do much of anything. I had to go up to 100 mg. and then I felt better, once my body got used to it. The part you mentioned about not wanting to eat much, I know I felt the same way when I started Zoloft, because my anxiety was so bad. I don't know if that is why, but you can always call your doctor about it and see what he/she thinks about it.

Like the others have said, it takes a few weeks for Zoloft to really kick in. I hope it works for you.

Edited by Pat1138