Sign in to follow this  
Saliency

Has Anyone Dropped Out Of College?

I ran into a situation where I had volunteered to lead a study group, but there ended up being way more instruction needed for the members of the group than I expected. I went to the administrator of the study groups and asked that my group be assigned to another group leader or folded into another group. I explained that I have severe major depression and that the over exertion tends to make my depressive symptoms worse and that my other classes were already maxing me out in this category.

She didn't even bat an eye and just looked right at me and said in a sarcastic tone, "Well, we wouldn't want to make you depressed now would we?" So when she confirmed that she would reassign my study group, I just let it go. I don't have the energy for this garbage...

I've had major problems with depression and anxiety for many years now but I managed to get through a year long access course with (just about!) and two years of university (I barely scraped through those two years) until I decided that I couldn't take it anymore, I didn't go to any lectures because I had severe anxiety problems, I couldn't go to seminars or anything and I just fell behind big time. I tried counselling and found it to be extremely awkward and also I went to the GP who just gave me antidepressants which I didn't take. Eventually I went to the head of my year and said I wanted to quit, they suggested I take abreak from studying, get my head together and that they would leave the option open for me to come back next year. So that is what I am doing at the moment I am taking a break, and preparing myself to finish my degree next year....I really hope I can manage it.

Sometimes a break to regroup mentally, spiritually, and physically is very important for us. It's taking care of yourself.

Perseverance and courage in life helps get the job done.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing to me.

Peony

I haven't completely dropped out but I have put off finishing for several years. I'm now 27 and just entering into my sophmore year soon. I went part time most semesters and some not at all. I finally got financial aid and went full time last semester and took even more credits this semester. I did have to drop one because of my procrastination on homework and studying and I would have failed the class anyway. I'm hoping with some treatment I can finally get this over with and graduate. I get really good grades when I put my mind to it, it's just putting my mind to it that is the issue. I will put off homework essays so long that I have to wake up at 5am to do them for my 8am class! It feels better to hear that other people deal with the same things.

I thought I was alone on this. I've been in and out of university and college since graduating high school. I'd always drop out because of severe depression and anxiety. I'd get employment and work for awhile then decide to try school again. But it never really worked out and I'd end up dropping out for the same reasons. I've dealt with MDD and SAD for as long as I can remember and these were the reasons I couldn't complete a program. It devastated me for a long time because I never really had anyone I could talk to about it. I was always an A student but I just couldn't stay long enough without being overwhelmed by major depression and severe anxiety.

A few years ago in my late twenties I finally felt like I had a good enough grasp of my depression and anxiety to be able to push through school - so I applied for and received a tuition grant to attend a college program in the field I've always wanted to pursue. It was the first time I had been able to make it so far into the program - nearly graduated with only less than a handful of courses left but I was hit by a severe depressive episode. It's been almost a year and I've been working in my field (while still feeling horribly depressed) but I'm hoping to be able to go back and finish those courses sometime this year. I was also accepted into a degree program at university again but have been wavering on whether or not to do it as I am now in my early 30s. I realize age shouldn't be a factor but I feel I need to be a little more financially secure at this stage. Although I really would like to pursue the degree.

I'm 3 classes shy of my 2 year degree and I opted not to go back to school for this current spring semester. Mind you, I've been in every semester since fall 2010 and I have still don't have my 2 year degree (goal is/was bachelors). My depression has gotten worse and worse over the past few years, so I've done nothing but watch my grades drop, even repeated a couple of courses. This time, I registered for spring, but then I received a letter stating that my student loans were being yanked due to grades. I had to face reality and focus on my mental health before returning back to school. No idea when it will be.

You are not alone.

I had to take the second semester of my sophomore year off. It was hard admitting that I had to, but going back after break would have been a terrible idea. I'm back in school now, and I'm struggling, right now is really bad, but my school is pretty good about it. I know a lot of my friends who have had to take some time off, some of them have come back, some probably won't, though some of those are because they decided this college didn't have the major they wanted On the part of the school, I found a lot are pretty good about helping you get back in, based on my experience and that of some of my friends and family. They do want you back, which is always nice to remember, because they'd much rather have good alumni statistics than a high dropout rate. That and the fact that the average length of time for a bachelors is much closer to 5 years than four, a lot of people do have to take time off.

Thank you for making this thread. I have to remind myself that I made the right decision in taking time off. I'll hopefully be graduating in a year, but I'm more flexible on this than I used to be if it means my health.

I dropped out of college after about one year because I was consistently failing the classes that required group activity. It was pretty much over for me when the teacher had to force me into an existing group because nobody wanted to work with me. Now I get to enjoy an entire life's worth of harassment from people trying to collect my unpaid student loans. Good times.

I began community college in the Fall of 2008 with the intention of transferring to a four-year university by 2010 and graduating anywhere from 2012 to 2014. It was a lot tougher than I thought. I fell into a deep depression and dropped out in the Fall of 2010. I need certain classes in order to transfer that were very difficult for me and were not classes I was interested in. I thought it was ridiculous that the schools I wanted to transfer to required them from me since they had nothing to do with my major. Then I realized that universities don't want stupid people on their campus. They want only the best of the best, and that is why they required of me stupid classes like trigonometry and calculus.

I decided to abandon my plans, drop out, and figure out something else to do with my life. I knew things wouldn't end well if I kept going to those classes. I instead entered a trade school out of state. It was the best decision of my life. I badly needed the experience, and I loved it.

I returned to the same college that I dropped out of in the Fall of 2011. Things were a lot better, and I thought I was covering my bases by picking a more achievable goal of getting an AA, but now things have started dragging on again and I still don't have an Associate Degree. I don't expect one until 2014. That's a far cry from my plans to have my college career over in 2012, isn't it.

When I think of all the things I did wrong through the years and all the time I wasted, I just want to cry. I hate myself for thinking I could go at it alone and just wing it. Now my high school classmates are either graduating or have graduated from top universities and I don't even have a degree from a mediocre community college. I haven't come close to reaching the vastness of my potential, and it sucks.

Edited by Luis

I have had to take two years out of uni due to depression. I had a year out in 2009, did the first term fine then fell apart over Christmas and wasn't able to work so had to suspend my studies go back to my parents to recover from a severe depression that made it difficult for me to even make a cup of tea! Went back the following January once I was well and had to make a whole new bunch of friends as I'd joined a new year group. Despite hating the depression, I am glad that I moved to the new year group as everyone was so much nicer and I made so many new friends that I was the happiest I've ever been.

Unfortunately, or perhaps stupidly, I came off my antidepressants last summer and fell apart again in December. I've again had to suspend my studies from January this year until January next year. All my friends are getting ready to graduate this summer and I'm left behind. As well as struggling with depression and anxiety, watching my friends finish and get jobs is incredibly hard and the disappointment that I am not with them hurts like hell at times.I am now left trying to find temporary work (which in this economy is not an easy task) until I get to go back and do the last 6 months of my degree. My only saving grace is that I have some good friends who are taking a year out of our degree to do extra research and will be coming back to do our final year with me.

So, anyway, you are definitely not alone in taking time out, it happens to anyone and everyone. I know how tough it is to tell your friends, not everyone will understand which doesn't make it easier, but you have to do the right thing for you in the long run. Depression/anxiety are serious illnesses and you have to be well in yourself before you can work properly. Take the time to get yourself sorted and once you feel like you again then go back to college, it will wait for you.

If people misunderstand you and think its because you can't handle 'being away from home' then sod them!! You know the truth and that's all that matters. Some people wont get it, that's because they're lucky enough to have never felt severe depression/anxiety so sometimes you have to forgive their ignorance.

Take care xx

I am currently going through the same ordeal. I have spent 2 years trying to complete my masters and now my grades have plummeted far below the required threshold to keep me in the college. Understanding my situation, my counselor has given me probation instead of automatic suspension. I am back home for the summer break and after a whole year of failed and dropped courses, this is the longest stretch where I have not thought of suicide. My counselor told me that I needed a break and will do better once I come back rejuvenated. Now that the date of my flight back to my college is inching closer, even thinking about that place is enough to keep me in bed for 2 days straight and to cry my eyes off. My parents have no idea what I am going through and I don't plan on telling them as they are going through a lot of their own personal issues. My sister does not want me to go back as she is afraid I might try to commit suicide. I need A in each and every course left just to get my degree. I have no idea what to do, should I take a semester off or should I try to go change things around and somehow get remarkable grades. I've always been a good but I'm totally lost right now.

So has anyone here dropped out of college or university due to depression or anxiety? Can you tell me how you went about leaving? Did you ever go back?

i failed out of college due to depression. then i went to a community college and failed another year. then started to see a therapist and failed some more but not as bad, then finally progressed enough to finally start doing well in classes but it was still really difficult. since then school has been getting easier but slowly so.

I took six months off from college to work.  It was nice.  Looking back I would have done something other than college.  College is just another bubble.  I usually advise people against going unless they are going into a STEM field. 

I didn't go to college right after high school - we were dirt poor and ignorant of grants or scholarships.  It didn't even seem an option.  I went to work full-time, third shift.  Made two aborted attempts at going to school during the day, but the grind got to me.  A third time I went to school for a couple of courses in the evenings once I'd moved to working more normal hours.

I've got somewhere around forty or forty-three credit hours from three schools.

Sure wish things had gone differently.

Yes I have. I even dropped out twice.. It took my 7 years to finally complete a college education last year. My advice would be to even if you have to drop out, never give up because if I can do it anyone can.

I had to drop out of college due to my depression. I had so many other things going on and I started to feel suicidal from the stress.

I should with how long its taking me to just get the he'll out. I started at 21 and in still trying to get a 2 year degree. To be fair, at 21 I was still unsure of what I wanted to do... But the rest...what held me up the most was repeatedly failing those learning support math classes....

There was a certain module is have to make it to to pass for that semester and sometimes is make it ,other times I wouldn't... Those learning support classes are a financial aid killer.

On 2017-04-30 at 2:57 PM, SailingSoul said:

I should with how long its taking me to just get the he'll out. I started at 21 and in still trying to get a 2 year degree. To be fair, at 21 I was still unsure of what I wanted to do... But the rest...what held me up the most was repeatedly failing those learning support math classes....

There was a certain module is have to make it to to pass for that semester and sometimes is make it ,other times I wouldn't... Those learning support classes are a financial aid killer.

Financial aid has been a degree killer for me ugh. With minimum courseload requirements forcing me to continue when I should have stayed in the hospital.

I dropped out of college my first time. I went right out of high school and the college I moved to was two hours away from my home. I felt like I was isolated from all my friends and family and just straight up left and walked the train tracks for days, with my phone off so nobody could find me. I felt like such a failure and just wanted to stand in front of an oncoming train. I went back home and was put on Zoloft (an ssri antidepressant) and had weekly therapy. After a year I went to a nearby community college. Now I am three months from completing a bachelor's degree in psychology, and am 23 years old (will be 24 when I graduate). 

I am still in college but feel like I will flunk out, I have no motivation to do anything. I am on academic warning because I failed 3 courses last semester and feel like the same will happen again, I have an exam tomorrow that I am not confident or even ok about.

Update!

Dropping out and moving home was the best decision of my life. I'm now a fifth year Law and Accounting student with 8 subjects to go, so I graduate at the end of 2018.

I have one of the highest GPAs in my Faculty, I have a wonderful group of friends that seems to keep growing and while I wouldn't describe myself as "popular", almost all students in my faculty know me and so do most of the staff. It seems I'm generally a likeable person - one of my weaknesses though is that sometimes I'm probably too nice and helpful to other students.

I have a very strong resume and academic record. I'm heavily involved in university life and the local community, and I could not have achieved any of these things if I didn't drop out of college in the big city.

Sometimes the worst time of your life can result in you making some of the best decisions you've ever made, or set you up on a path that is much better than the one you've been on up until now!

It's not all sunshine and rainbows, of course. I still have my struggles with mental health, medication and my physical health problems, but my life is so much better these days. I've still had friendships end, been through some mild traumas and some very low lows, but in retrospect, I am so much happier with where I am in life right now and I'm so glad I dropped out of college in the big city. 

Edited by Saliency

That is brilliant news! Sometimes you do need to take the metaphorical step back to move forward. As for friends, well you know now who are the genuine ones and chances are this has made those friendships stronger. Fair play to you for making a tough decision. 

The number and positivity of the replies in this thread highlight the fact that people realise that their health is more important than a course that can be deferred. 

My own story was one of a failed PhD. Spent 4.5 years in what can only be described as a toxic environment. Only for my friends, I would have definitely did something stupid. One day I virtually had enough so walked out. Do I regret it? No. Is life a bunch of roses now? No, but I've met do many genuine people along the way that it was one of the best decisions of my life  

Keep up the good work. You're an inspiration. 

Edited by StoniumFrog

@Saliency - Just a little side note before I answer: awesome explanation about anxiety and depression not being traits.

I didn't drop out of college or grad school, but I did consider dropping out of the latter.  I was working full time, taking care of my family, and there were a lot of issues I had to deal with that hijacked my depression.  I never missed a class, was completing the work, and doing really well but I felt like a shell.  I considered taking one semester off, but made myself think it over when I was on summer break from grad school.  The break helped me gain a grip on myself and deal with the depression better so I decided to push myself to finish the program.  It was tough, but I have no regrets.

Everybody knows their tolerance level.  It doesn't make you weak that you've temporarily left school.  You need to take care of yourself and colleges have students take breaks all the time.  When you're ready, you will go back full force and pick up where you left off.