Sign in to follow this  
Lindsay

Fish Oils, Vitamins, Herbs Helpful For Depression

I am taking Omega-3 Fish Oils, Vitamin-D, Vitamin-C, Mutlivitamins for my depression. It has all worked perfectly. I feel much better, and plan on continuing this regiment of supplements. It does require high doses of Omega-3 Fish Oils - 4gms+, which for me equals 10-12 capsules per day, along with 8000IU of Vitamin-D, Multivitamins with high amounts of antioxidants. It all works for me, and I feel great.

Just a reminder to everyone - always make sure the fish oil you are taking is really high quality. If you get some bad stuff you will basically be taking in other harmful chemicals either from the processing of the product or from the actual fish that they use.

Right now I take Nordic Naturals Pro Omega lemon.

I used to take the liquid form of Carlson Labs Fish oil which I really loved, but since I am traveling I bought high quality fish oil tabs instead.

I'm wanting to take Fish Oil, cause I suffer from Bi-Polar disorder but I'm not sure which ones to take. Maybe I should talk to my doctor about this.

If someone wants to help me out with this; please send me a pm and I'll talk to my doctor about it and see what he thinks about it.

I'm looking for anything that will help! Thank you!

Always,

BlueWeepingRose

Hey BlueWeepingRose,

I'm a big fan of Carlson Labs Cod Liver Oil. You can get it in both capsules or liquid. I prefer the liquid.

You can also get Nordic Naturals Fish Oil.

Both products are high quality which is important for fish oil.

This is great news. I have been taking fish oil for a few weeks now so I am really hoping that it will help me with being depressed.

Hey BlueWeepingRose,

I'm a big fan of Carlson Labs Cod Liver Oil. You can get it in both capsules or liquid. I prefer the liquid.

You can also get Nordic Naturals Fish Oil.

Both products are high quality which is important for fish oil.

Thank you for this information! This is great news to me! :smile:

Edited by BlueWeepingRose

I used to study herbalism quite a bit, off and on, over the years. Plants and herbs always fascinated me, even as a kid.

Lately I've been getting back into it and reading through some of my old books and journals/notes that I kept.

So hopefully soon I'll be posting my thoughts and experience of natural remedies for depression and anxiety, either here in this thread, or in my DF blog.

I know next to nothing about vitamins and fish oils though, so my focus will be on common herbs.

Anyway it might be kinda cool :)

Edited by AloneGuy

I swear by Vitamin D3. I've been taking 5000-7000 iu's a day(7000 for the last year) for the last couple of years and  by far out of all the supplements I've tried its had the biggest impact on my health. I feel better mentally and physically. I sleep better. Feel stronger physically. I used to be good for 2-3 colds a year..........I've had one......ONE....cold in the last two years. Most people are woefully deficient in it. The FDA guideline of 400iu's a day is so unbelievably pathetic. I had my blood level tested after taking 7000iu's for a year and it was 54ng/ml which is right in the range considered optimal. I cant imagine what it was when I wasn't taking it. Probably almost nonexistent. I really think more folks should check it out. Go to vitamindcouncil.org and read up on it.

Something else I've taken for years.....Magnesium. Again another one most folks are woefully deficient in. Swear by it. I take 400mg twice a day. Morning and night. There's hundreds of ezymes in the body that require magnesium. It's a natural muscle relaxer. Lowered my blood pressure. Helps me sleep better. Calmer and more relaxed. Don't take magnesium oxide form. Very poorly absorbed. Magnesium citrate is much better. Don't take too much at one time as it is a natural laxative.

Zinc before bed. 15mg. Don't overdo it as too much has negative side effects.

I tried the whole large doses of b vitamins(folate, methyl b-12, b-6) for a while and found the biggest thing it did was make my stomach upset. Taking a multivitamin everyday is OK although most scientific studies state that even a multivitamin usually isn't needed if your diet is even halfway decent. I'm not saying nobody out there needs these vitamins as there are certainly people who don't process folic acid well and need to supplement with folate and have b12 deficiencies, etc..... But in my case I wasted a lot of money for a short time on stuff that literally got peed away.

Edited by maintainin

Has Sam-E worked for anyone here? I just bought some to take with a B-Complex as recommended. I read some good reviews online where it helped treat depression, so I am hoping it works....

Hi,I'm new here still trying to navigate around, I'm interested in natural remedies for depression and anxiety is there a more active place to post or is this just the one thread?

I tried bone broth today. I hope it helps my ibs. It's supposed to have a calming effect too which might help with anxiety. Found some today at the grocery store in 8 ounce servings. It's a little expensive, but I like it so far.

since some days i take Lithium Orotate 5mg Elemental Lithium for helping me sleep. its a little different from normal, but dont know, if its just me changing by myself or the pills. I will try it more and see.