Sign in to follow this  
Drastunir

Life With Depression

I have lived with depression for about as long as I can remember. I don't think I've ever had a "normal baseline" mood, always a little below as in a dysthymic disorder. However, I have come to realize that depression, severe depression, hits in waves. I can be slightly depressed, then major and suicidal, then back to slightly for example. There are times when suicide seems to be the only way out, and I will admit I've attempted before .

I've tried the suicide hotline only to get someone that acted as if I was inconveniencing them, even posted on other forums. I lack interest in a lot of things I used to love, I feel constricted constantly, and can't act without feeling miserable. I'm in a relationship, even living with my girlfriend, but even sometimes that is a chore. It's hard to talk with people without them trying to become your doctor. I know they mean well, but they seem to believe what they want to believe and won't listen/remember what you say. Quite a hassle.

So far I've learned to adjust to depression. It's not easy, but at least I can still do some activities I used to do. Searching for a job isn't helping the mood though. The few happy moments I had were when I helped other people through depressive symptoms, and even talking them down from suicide. Anyway, just thought I would say something since I joined. Not sure what I will get from this site.

Edited by Sheepwoman
TOS/Triggering

Welcome Drastunir!

I'm not sure what you'll get from this site either, but you seem like a very knowledgeable, caring person, so hopefully you'll be able to offer great advice to others going through tough times. And don't worry, I've never really seen any know-it-alls on here. Just people reaching out for a little help and understanding. Hope your time here offers you some type of benefit.

Welcome to DF, Drastunir,

Suicide is never an answe to how you are feeling emotionally. Have you tried to get professional help? If you do have dysthmia or something like it, it can be treated/ You have made a ftrst step towards recovery. Take the next step by making an appointment with your GP, a pdoc or a tdoc in order to start feeling better about yourself.

Sheepwoman

Hey Drastunir,

You just summed up my experience with depression to a T; the dysthymia with major depressive episodes, suicidal ideation, just the overall struggle of daily life. I wish I had advice for you but since I'm in the same place I feel just as lost. I can offer a nonjudgmental ear if that's what you need. I know that's all I want sometimes.

I have lived with depression for about as long as I can remember. I don't think I've ever had a "normal baseline" mood, always a little below as in a dysthymic disorder. However, I have come to realize that depression, severe depression, hits in waves. I can be slightly depressed, then major and suicidal, then back to slightly for example. There are times when suicide seems to be the only way out, and I will admit I've attempted before .

I've tried the suicide hotline only to get someone that acted as if I was inconveniencing them, even posted on other forums. I lack interest in a lot of things I used to love, I feel constricted constantly, and can't act without feeling miserable. I'm in a relationship, even living with my girlfriend, but even sometimes that is a chore. It's hard to talk with people without them trying to become your doctor. I know they mean well, but they seem to believe what they want to believe and won't listen/remember what you say. Quite a hassle.

So far I've learned to adjust to depression. It's not easy, but at least I can still do some activities I used to do. Searching for a job isn't helping the mood though. The few happy moments I had were when I helped other people through depressive symptoms, and even talking them down from suicide. Anyway, just thought I would say something since I joined. Not sure what I will get from this site.

oh that is great that you are able to adjust to depression without resulting in the hospital. see my depression comes with anxiety, and i can't handle it. i usually run to the hospital. In what are the ways you have adjusted to it?

sounds lie you could use medication, I have been on for years and still need to update occaionally, try it , its not as bad as you think, you must see a pshyciatrist though, if you can't afford it , there are local mental health clinics that are often free or on a sliding scale, I am right now coming out of a major depressive episode and my doctor is working on adjusting my meds, hang tough

i also lack in enjoying things i used to. i have no motivation.

and my depression hits me in waves too. its horrible because it comes on so suddenly. and people don't know what to do.