Sign in to follow this  
ASharma

Feels Like Im Going Crazy

So lately i have been having severe anxiety. I have never had problems with anxiety before. It all started when i had a sudden irrational thought that i was being possesed. After that it spiraled out of control. I felt like everything was foreign. Like i was walking around on in a daze. I couldnt control my thoughts they would always be horrible and intrusive. I felt like my voice in my head was trying to convince me i was crazy and to let this thing posses me. i know i am not possesed but the anxiety is awful and its convincing. I have not had any real trauma in my life. I am a sensitive person but i dont usually let it effect me in this way. My skin feels like its burning and i get these weird headaches. Im on an ssri and xanax but i dont want to be addicted to these drugs. Ive started therapy (one meeting) but it gets better somedays and gets really bad somedays like i am going crazy. These intrusive thoughts are usually about hurting myself or others and they scare the out of me. I dont ever want to do that but what if this thing possesing my brain makes me. I know its just probably severe anxiety but i dont know how to convince myself i am not possesed and not going crazy. please help

I am glad you posted here and shared some issues that are bothering you. Did you tell your therapist the extent of your thoughts and anxiety? You may want to write some things down so you can pinpoint if something triggers those intrusive thoughts. You mentioned being on medications for the anxiety. Hopefully they can help calm things down. The therapy will take a little time until you notice anything different. It isn't something that will change overnight. The important thing is to keep the lines of communication open so your therapist can help you in the best way possible.

thanks. yeah i did communicate with my therapist my issues. i just drive myself crazy thinking bout weather not i am possessed or not. i keep looking up symptoms of a possession, but i know in all likelyhood its not true. its just a derivative of my anxiety. thanks for the support though

I think everyone with anxiety has mostly likely had the fear of possession/fear of going crazy thing at some point or another. I know I used to early on. The thoughts/fears were practically obsessive, however for me it just got better with time. Now it rarely bothers me. I guess you just get used to it. Your mind will realize that despite all these fears of things that you think will happen, they don't ever and will never happen. That despite these thoughts, you have still had full control over your actions. Thoughts are just thoughts. They don't dictate how you act. Once your brain understands that, those thoughts have no bearing and thus go away. In my opinion, its almost inevitable that your brain will come to accept this overtime. Again I'm sure you've heard this from yourself and others a million times, but its just anxiety. Thats all it is. Hell, even still if I see a commercial or clip about possesion or some pycho i can get a little scared but it just doesn't last anymore. I'll forget about it within minutes. Hope this helps : )

Have a read of my about me page.

I always feel like I'm insane and crazy and everyone's different to me and no one seems to understand what I'm feeling.

I stare into space and think of situations and if I see a weapon on tv I think someone's going to hurt me, or I think if I don't do things in a certain way or number of times then ill get hurt,

If that isn't crazy then show me what is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hey jbarnski, i have had these thoughts too. i never went through any trauma like you did and am sorry to hear of your struggles. hope things work out. Im finally facing my fears which seems to help a bit. still havent been able to go to class in 2 weeks and will probably fail but im just not ready yet.

Hello Ashmara,

Ive suffered from Anxiety, Panic and OCD (intrusive thoughts) my entire life. Ten years ago I decided to get help as my OCD was out of control. I saw a therapist and got on Celexa. Once I started meds and therapy I got so much better. Have you considered seeing a Psychiatrist?

hey Asharma,

i definitely know how you feel about the going crazy thing. when i first got panic disorder it came out of nowhere and i litterally lived in a consistent panic attack, or at least it seemed like it, for almost 6 months of my senior year. it wasnt until i stumbled across a page online (this is 2001) that described the exact symptoms i had. until that point i thought i had gone crazy and was afraid to tell anyone because i felt like they were going to have me committed. i know what its like to feel the sensations and thoughts that panic gives you and unless you've experienced it, i just dont really think you can understand it.

but i definitely understand you, and ive been there, and sometimes still am. i think what helped me alot was learning alot of information about panic attacks and what the symptoms are and being able to put a name to what i was feeling. when i saw that i had every symptom in the book it started to get better. just knowing that other people out there are feeling the same way can make you feel alot better. good luck my friend :)