Hi everyone. I found the forum after Googling "is it normal to want to spend all day in bed"... looks like it's a popular question on here! I really do lack motivation for anything at the moment and the easiest option is simply not facing the world or her challenges, of which there are many. I suppose the first question I'd have for you all is.. how do you do it? How do you get out of bed when the world is this awful?? Suggestions very much welcomed!

Edited by mytherapy

There are days where it takes a tremendous amount of will to eject myself from the bed...or at least out of the house. I try to think of something positive I will encounter (say a cup of coffee or a nice walk) and that will usually do it. We are finally getting some decent spring-like weather around here so it has become a little easier.

I only leave because my husband counts on me getting my ass to my job to help pay the bills.. But there are morning where I just cry in the shower because I want to stay in bed so badly and can barely face the thought of work or human interaction. Plus, job = money = buying video games so that makes me happy.

I have a dog who INSISTS on being walked every day...once I'm up, if I can get interested in something like painting furniture, cleaning my yard, etc., I'm good. I also love thrift shops and rummage sales to find things to refinish for my house or treasures to sell online. I know it's hard to feel like doing anything when you're depressed but if you can find a hobby you enjoy and get yourself to do it for even a short time, it helps.

We're finally getting some spring weather around here too (Minnesota, not too far from you, JD4010) and I'm looking forward to planting flowers and I'm one of those weird women who actually LIKES to mow my lawn! Plus I have a deck that needs painting....plenty to do!

Hey there! Well getting out of bed is a problem! It has gotten worse for me over the years, but since I still work, I have to shoe-horn myself out of bed every morning at 5:45 a.m. Yuk! I used to be a morning person when I was not so weighted down with depression and anxiety. I'd get up and be ready to discuss world events at 6 a.m.! Now, it's all I can do to drag myself up. This morning I sat on the side of the bed and was looking at my feet. My god! I never realized how swollen the joints are in my feet! So, I spent some time on that. LOL!

It's really hard to make yourself get up when you are depressed. In my case I have anxiety too, so it's the anxiety part that makes me get up. You know, I worry about everything. Like, being late to work, not having enough time to do stuff. I also worry about being like my Dad, who at 88 is totally bedridden. It was his choice five years ago to go to bed and never get up again. I don't want to be like that! So, every time I think about not getting up, I think about him, and I'm out of bed like a shot from a catapult! Well, maybe more like a wet noodle!

Anyway, I'm glad you found us here on the DF!

P.S. The world is not awful. The world and you are wonderful. It's your depression that's telling you the world is awful. Your depression is LYING to you! When I'm depressed I try to take enjoyment from every little thing I can, like a wildflower blooming in a crack in the sidewalk. Put a picture of something or someone you love right next to your bed, and look at it in the morning when you are trying to get up. Remind yourself over and over that the world is a wonderful, fascinating place, and you are part of it!

Oh, heck yes, depression reduces motivation. In my case, I get into a "why bother" mode and quickly talk myself out of almost anything--including stuff I'd normally enjoy. My inner voice says that I shouldn't even use the energy to do something because I probably wouldn't enjoy it anyway. Happens quite often for me.