I Want To Stop Sleeping So Bad!

Hi, I'm new here. I've had depression literally my whole life. I'm 28 now. Right now I'm going through an episode, but it never entirely goes away.

One of my constant problems is sleep. I can easily go to bed at eight and sleep until one the next day. And then go to bed at eight again. I have work and school, and I've been blessed enough to keep them - I manage to do well at school, despite the fact that half the time I'm not there, and my boss likes me, even though I'm late literally every day. I'm so ashamed of myself because of this sleep controlling my life, and I think the only reason I'm surviving in work and school is because I beg God to forgive me for having such an awful habit and I don't mean to do it and I want so badly to stop. But like a drug addiction, it's bound to bite me sooner or later when God gets tired of saving my butt, which I'm always terrified is going to happen any day now.

There was a time a few years ago when I got up at a normal hour, went through a full day, and got no more than 8 hours of sleep. This was a window that I had in the course of all this disruptive sleeping, I was still depressed so I don't know where it came from. But before long I was back to waking up early, eating something, and then crawling back into bed and staying there for several more hours.

It's been suggested to me recently that the reason I don't want to get up is that, at the bottom of things, I really don't see a reason to. I don't like work, and I enjoy school, but not the one-hour drive to get there. (I really hate driving, for the most part.) I just subconsciously look at my day and say, "**** it." The delight in facing a brand new day just isn't there.

I've thought about perhaps waking up, and then as soon as I get up to eat, making my bed so I can't get back into it. (At night my bed has about twenty extra blankets on it, and a zoo of stuffed animals, all of which get tucked and put away when the bed's made.) But TBH I have to wonder if I have it in me. I doubt it.

I do like the feeling itself of being awake, since if I sleep all day, ironically the sleepier I get, but I just can't find a motivation to actually get up and deal with things.

My mom has depression too, and she gets up early, but she's always in bed by six pm and when she has a day off, takes a several-hour nap. She can't deal with her depression herself and I have to wonder if I've inherited her condition.

If anyone can help, I have this one huge hurdle, I could get started on other things. I'm trying to find the will to just DO THINGS, but as long as I'm stuck in bed I know it'll never be there. I have other problems - overspending, eating and purging, and my dislike of my one available mode of transportation - but I have to deal with this first, and I don't know how.

Sorry this is so long. I've just never gotten a chance to unload about this before.

Welcome to DF, The_Sage_Nabooru,

I can't stay in bed all day-even when I don't sleep at night. I have an alarm clock (or rather I did when I had a job and college) that I set to get up in the mornings in order to make myself presentable and for the commute. I haven't worked since 2001 yet I still get up early. Once I'm up; I;m up and will not return to bed until it's time to sleep. You should try this as it should make your day go better. If you have free time, try going for a walk. The exercise will do you good in more ways than one. try getting at least 8 hours of sleep0. I usually get 5-7 hours.

Sheepwoman

I sleep a lot too. I CAN get up with an alarm now, but I didn't used to be able to. If left to my own devices I will sleep 10 hours a day and still take a nap. I started taking medication that causes insomnia (Abilify, Wellbutrin and Vyvance) and that doesn't give me insomnia but I sleep more normally now. I know medication isn't for everyone, but if you feel comfortable with it you could ask your doctor and explain that you have depression and it makes you sleep a lot.

I know how you feel, The Sage Nabooru! Except somehow, I think I may be even worse. I don't have a job at the moment as I have been unable to find employment and I was forced to take some time off from school because of health problems. I have absolutely nothing going on in my life right now. My fiance lives a few states away where he got moved for work so I literally only see him every 3-5 months. I don't have any friends and my only hobbies are video games and surfing the internet. Probably because of the absolute void of meaning in my life right now I can easily go to bed at 7pm and sleep until 5pm the next day. And still be tired. I know sleeping that much can't really be healthy so I've been trying to do better but it is just so hard. I'll wake up thinking "oh I went to bed so early I'm sure it is still sometime in the AM!" but then when I check the clock it is well into the late afternoon/early evening. :verysad3:

Hi Sage Nabooru!

Sleeping too much is a symtom of depression. Are you taking antidepressant meds? Maybe if you took meds, your sleeping pattern would be more normal. The modern antidepressants, the SSRIs, actually can cause insomnia. Maybe for you, it would level out. But I'm no doctor, you should check with a psychiatrist. When I started taking Zoloft, I couldn't sleep anymore, maybe 2 or 3 hours a night. But then, I have had problems with insomnia all my life. My pdoc gave me Mirtazapine (Remeron), in addition, to go to sleep. Since I'm taking the mirt, I sleep 8-10 hours a night, which makes me feel like a sloth in hibernation. Actually, I enjoy sleeping so much, because then I don't have to spend so many hours awake, brooding. Sleep is a great escape from life. Now, I can't get out of bed before 10 AM, no matter how hard I try! I also have no motivation to get up and face the day. Before, I would get only 5 to 6 hours of sleep a night, and be constantly grumpy and sleep deprived. Sleeping so many hours also helps me recover from sensory overload, since I get very easily overstimulated. So there are clearly advantages of oversleeping.

But of course, it is a sign that something is wrong, that you are depressed and need help. But you can't just snap out of it on your own, you need professional help. Don't judge yourself for sleeping too much. It is a symptom, not a character flaw.

Like some others here, I'm almost envious of your ability to sleep. I've been an insomniac since I was a kid (50+ years ago). My mind races at night when I "should" be sleeping. I've tried mindfulness techniques but I can't get on top of it.

Like some others here, I'm almost envious of your ability to sleep. I've been an insomniac since I was a kid (50+ years ago). My mind races at night when I "should" be sleeping. I've tried mindfulness techniques but I can't get on top of it.

That's me too...I used to love to sleep, now I'm lucky if I get a few consecutive hours. I have the same problem with my mind racing at night. I try to turn it to peaceful, pleasant thoughts, plan something nice to do the next day, etc. but even on several meds, I can't sleep through the night!

• 2 weeks later...

It's all a part of the depression, sleep is a blissful unaware state and we don't want to wake up and face the real world. At least that's how I am....

Have you tried an alarm clock or (my favorite) a programmable coffee maker? Nothing makes me jump out of bed like the smell of fresh brewed coffee (although I switched to my Keurig mini after I quit working). Mr. Coffee has a 4 cup for about $25 you can set up with coffee and water the night before and set the time you want it to start perking. If you're a coffee drinker, that is. Gives me something to look forward to, that first cup of coffee in the morning.

I don't drink coffee until I get to work. The coffee maker is downstairs. We have a kuerig too, but I don't think it does anything automatic.

I have an alarm clock and I have a very bad relationship with it. I HATE that blaring jerk. Always waking me up at 6AM and I'm like, "Oh, pi** off already."

My routine is, I wake up, curse the alarm clock and slam the snooze button at least twice, then get up, hating it the whole time, and go downstairs for breakfast. I eat breakfast while playing on my phone, and then continue to play on it and crawl back into bed upstairs. I play on the phone until sleep overtakes me.

I can see the playing with your phone thing...I just upgraded this weekend and I'm amazed at everything it can do (I'll never learn it all)! My son got me dangerously close to my data allowance just playing games the first day and watching Youtube so I had to set the "automatic cut off" feature. I sell stuff online, that's why I wanted a smart phone, not so he can watch videos and slay zombies...

I'm having kind of a bad week this week. My son's sick, the weather's cold and miserable and I can't seem to motivate myself either (plus money's gone for the month and I'm stressing a little about the unpaid bills). If the weather would just warm up and I could get out and walk my dog or paint some furniture, I think it would help...but my motivation is null. And my house is a disaster! I guess it's a good thing the weather's crappy or I'd be depressed because I can't afford to buy the flowers I want to plant or the fertilizer for my lawn...and the paint for my deck..the list goes on and on.